Externships/Research Abroad??

Started by AJen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AJen

Cornell c/o 2016!!!!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year vet student and I'm interested in going abroad this summer but finding it difficult to find any promising externships. Most i've found are through generic sites that charge $3000+ and dont seem legit (perhaps im wrong?)

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck going abroad for an externship or if anyone has done any research abroad how you've gotten involved with that. I am also finding it difficult to find any equine externships that even take 1st years here in the U.S. and would love suggestions for that as well. I'm tracking equine but am open to anything. I speak a decent amount of Spanish and would love to put that to use but am really open to go anywhere. Thanks!
 
I did a lot of externships and research training overseas while I was in vet school, and there are a lot of options out there if you're willing to put in the time and effort required to apply!

I'm actually trying to feature a lot of these opportunities on my website. This might be a good place to start, but if you explore around a bit you should find some more possibilities too:

http://www.elliottgarber.com/veterinary-externships-database/

One equine-specific externship overseas is with the American Fondouk in Morocco. You can read about it here:

http://www.mspca.org/americanfondouk/veterinary-students-traveling-1.html

Let me know if you ever have more specific questions and I'm happy to help out!