extra classes "just in case?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure I stunk up my orgo II final. I had an A going in but think I might be staring a B+ in the face now. I am applying this cycle (as in, submitting in June) and will take the MCAT this summer. I hadn't planned on taking any more classes, but now I'm wondering if I should take some classes in the upcoming academic year, just in case I don't get in this cycle. I'm a non-trad, so my stats are a little confusing, but here goes:

Overall sGPA (including stuff I took post-bacc plus a few that I took back in the day, as far back as 2001) 3.47

Graduated with a 3.6

Post-bacc GPA (this includes the vast majority of the science requirements: bio, all physics, all orgo, inorganic chem II, biochem) 3.7

Basically, if I get a B+ in orgo II, it will mean a 3.47 instead of the 3.52 it would have been, had I got an A. Sounds tiny, but I wonder if I'd be wise to take genetics or biochem II this coming year to get my GPA up in case I don't get in and need to reapply. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying this cycle? If yes, then the added class will be of no help to your GPA.

I say apply EARLY and see how the cycle goes - if it goes poorly, then you could always add classes for Spring 2011, I guess, but I still doubt if a single course will make any real diff...

I do think you should keep up all of your volunteer activities.

Right, which is why OP should start taking classes now, just in case, to build the highest GPA he can. Entitlement will get us nowhere. We can either do really well or really bad in the application cycle. It will be more effective to make sure the contingency plan is in place now, than wait until the cycle is over and have had done nothing to improve the app before the next cycle is gearing up. If OP waits and doesn't get in, he may have to postpone applying for another cycle until he addresses his weaknesses.

The way I see it, at the very least, it could help strengthen an update letter later on in the cycle. Better safe than sorry!