Extra LOR by Mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J_da123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school asked for 3 LOR max (2 from science professors) and I accidentally sent 3 but only 1 from a science professor, so I added another science professor (total of 4) how bad does this look?

Members don't see this ad.

If a school asked for 3 LOR max (2 from science professors) and I accidentally sent 3 but only 1 from a science professor, so I added another science professor (total of 4) how bad does this look?
It looks like you don't know how (or care) to follow directions.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like you don't know how (or care) to follow directions.

It was an accident, I checked the wrong box on AMCAS and once it sent I can't retract the letter. Just wondering if I should contact the school or leave it alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
The school explicitly says 3 letters max and also says anymore than 3 isn't recommended?

They probably won't look at the extra one. I'm not sure though.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I'm a little skeptical about sending more than the required amount of letters having a significant impact on an admissions decision. If you don't get into this school, it isn't because you sent one more letter of recommendation.

They probably won't look at the extra one. I'm not sure though.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
If OP makes it past screening, all letters will have to be read.
This is one of many reasons that schools limit the number.

If OP makes it past screening, all letters will have to be read.
This is one of many reasons that schools limit the number.
I did not know that. Thank you!

I was invited to interview at a school that I sent too many letters to. Of course not all schools will necessarily handle it the same way but I doubt it'll sink your app so i wouldn't worry too much about it