extremely worried about step1!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've done extremely well so far in my classes (just about all honors), but i must have really short memory b/c it seems like i am clueless about stuff i learned just 2 months ago!!! there's no way i remember all those drugs & their SE, CI, mechanisms...... just to name 1 out of 13u293572935293592 things to know

i really dont think i'll be able to regain all that knowledge in 1 month next spring. HELP! does every1 feel this way? or am i just really dumb... :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about step 1...just focus on your 2nd-year classes.

step 1 is less about memorizing little details than about your overall knowledge base and integration of all that information. sometime at the end of 2nd year, you will look back and realize how much you've learned (a whole lot more than 1st year, and much more applicable for step 1), and it will all make sense.

Take a deep breath, you will be fine.

I agree with doc05, you may feel like you don't know anything until you get to the end of your second year, and then when you are completing your boards studying it will all come together. You will know SO much more when you get to the boards than you did when you entered medical school.

you are not dumb, but you are definitely a candy ass.
do q bank, memorize first aid, and chill dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by woundvac
your not dumb, but you are definitely a candy ass.
do q bank, memorize first aid, and chill dude.

YOU'RE not dumb either. Then again, you are definitely not an English major.........

For Christ's sake, if YOU'RE going to attack someone, at least use the correct word.

Don't worry...just try to keep up with your classes, keep all your high-yield notes if possible, and the reviewing will come easier than you'd expect come next year.

"YOU'RE not dumb either. Then again, you are definitely not an English major.........For Christ's sake, if YOU'RE going to attack someone, at least use the correct word." boomer

thanks for the spell check dude. strong work.

Boy you guys are brutal...chef, it seems that you have some things going for you here.
a) you have 8-9 months until you take Step 1.
b) you are probably taking classes now, which reinforces this knowledge
c) you have 8-9 months until you take Step 1 ;) (use the time to start reviewing, spend a month on each of the difficult subjects, while keeping up with your current classwork, and less time on minor ones, and you shall be ready to review in May. For review, memorize First Aid and Step Up, they are both high-yield, and find whatever extra books you like (some people like BRS path NMS path, etc.) for some intense 6-8 hour a day studying. Plan out a schedule and stick to it, and you will be fine.

I think you also probably underestimate just how much you do remember. When I went into step one I wasn't sure how much I remembered either. The best way to do well on step I is to do well during your first 2 years. Learning things gradually, studying a little every day and avoiding cram sessions tends to mean you will get more out of studying and learn the subtleties and common associations that step I emphasizes. Try to avoid "memorizing" things for the sake of tests and instead study with an effort to gain an understanding of what is going on. A lot of things you learn during second year reinforce and reintroduce things you learned during first year and earlier in 2nd year. Try lots of practice questions and see what kinds of questions (not just what topics) you have trouble with. You'll do fine.

Originally posted by chef
i've done extremely well so far in my classes (just about all honors), but i must have really short memory b/c it seems like i am clueless about stuff i learned just 2 months ago!!! there's no way i remember all those drugs & their SE, CI, mechanisms...... just to name 1 out of 13u293572935293592 things to know

i really dont think i'll be able to regain all that knowledge in 1 month next spring. HELP! does every1 feel this way? or am i just really dumb... :( :( :(

You need to relax and focus on Year 2 stuff. You've barely learned half of what you are expected to know anyway. If you're freaking out now, I'd hate to see how you'll be in 8 months...