F in Cellular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docpar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a freshman in undergraduate (1st term). I just got my final grades for the term, and I got an F in Cellular Biology. here are my grades so far

General Chemistry - A-
Calculus with Application to Life Sciences - A-
Chemistry Lab - A
Biology Lab - A
Discover New York - A-
BIOLOGY - F

Now, say if i get all A's for the rest of my undergraduate, do i still have a shot at getting into medical school (i'll retake the class and hopefully get an A). What about if i try to get a late withdrawal from the course, and retake the course?

thanks for any help
(i can take critical, honest answers.)
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a withdrawal if you can.

You should retake biology. An F in a pre-requisite is not a very good thing. It may prove rather debilitating, actually. That said, I doubt you'll be able to petition a withdrawal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being that you received straight A's in your other classes, I'm sure that you can get a withdrawal if you have a "valid" excuse.;) It's not like you are a slacker and have a history of failing classes. However, you may want to petition it as soon as possible in order to have a better chance. Good Luck!

the schools take grade trends into account, so 1 F in your freshman year(first semester no less), won't disqualify you at all. Just retake the course and get an A.

an F is not good at all. A C is one thing but an F is terrible. You must retake it an get an A; that is the only way you even have a chance. Even then you better have an extremely (and I mean extremely like you lost a loved one and couldn't take the final but it was too late to withdraw) excuse to even think about applying to medical school. You'll have to explain it at some point. Don't let people who tell you it will be alright fool you. Be realistic.

Huh. That's pretty unusual.

Do you know why you got the F? :confused:

Yeah, go for the withdrawal if you can and try to retake.

I don't think one F will bar you from medical school -- unless you got the F because you were cheating or something (not saying this is the case). Cheating can get you barred from medical school (more or less).

an F is not good at all. A C is one thing but an F is terrible. You must retake it an get an A; that is the only way you even have a chance. Even then you better have an extremely (and I mean extremely like you lost a loved one and couldn't take the final but it was too late to withdraw) excuse to even think about applying to medical school. You'll have to explain it at some point. Don't let people who tell you it will be alright fool you. Be realistic.
This is too dramatic.

silly question, but do withdrawals show up on transcript? (can colleges see that u drop it?)

Withdrawals can, drops don't.

My college didn't allow me the option of withdrawing from courses (as far as I know). If I dropped a course (within the drop period) it wasn't shown on my transcript and AMCAS never knew about it.

This is too dramatic.

Look, I know it's a little dramatic but an F is very very bad. Medical schools will not like it one bit and it will also ruin his GPA. Now, if he gets all A's and has a really good excuse (which doesn't seem like the case here) then he still has a chance. Otherwise I would suggest another career besides M.D...

honestly, I can't understand how someone fails biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something tells me this is a troll; his grade trend makes absolutely no sense at all.

Look, I know it's a little dramatic but an F is very very bad. Medical schools will not like it one bit and it will also ruin his GPA. Now, if he gets all A's and has a really good excuse (which doesn't seem like the case here) then he still has a chance. Otherwise I would suggest another career besides M.D...

You do realize that your stats are way better than the vast majority of med school matriculants, right? An F in one course is equivalent to 4 B's - not great, but not a GPA killer if he does very well from here on out. His other grades certainly seem to indicate he can get A's.

As for a really good excuse, please. It's his first semester of college. 3 years later, saying "I was immature but I grew up" is a perfectly fine explanation, as long as the rest of his academic record backs that up.

You do realize that your stats are way better than the vast majority of med school matriculants, right? An F in one course is equivalent to 4 B's - not great, but not a GPA killer if he does very well from here on out. His other grades certainly seem to indicate he can get A's.

As for a really good excuse, please. It's his first semester of college. 3 years later, saying "I was immature but I grew up" is a perfectly fine explanation, as long as the rest of his academic record backs that up.

yeah well you could be right but I would take four B-'s over an F. I'm probably being a little to cynical but he really has to excel from here on out to be able to use the immature excuse. Personally, I just don't think it would fly.

yeah well you could be right but I would take four B-'s over an F. I'm probably being a little to cynical but he really has to excel from here on out to be able to use the immature excuse. Personally, I just don't think it would fly.

I'd take the B's as well, but I just don't think one F in your first semester automatically kills your chances of getting in. This may also vary between medical schools.

If you see someone with straight A/A-'s and 1 F, are you really gonna go "oh wow not medical school caliber even though he has a 3.87 cumulative GPA with only one blemish, rejected"?

No, you won't, I don't care how stingy you are. Get real.

That being said, the OP needs to kick ass from here on out, including retaking that class and getting an A.

DO schools will overlook failed classes if you retake them. MD schools won't, but there are cases of people with an F on their transcript getting in (high MCAT score, great upper-level performance).

I am going to tell you honest advice..no bull****. An F will count towards your AMCAS even if you retake..and will hurt your GPA very, very badly. Don't give up..but realize not too many people with F's get in. I'm not being negative I'm just a realist. It's not "fine"..its bad, quite bad. You are a freshman and can redeem yourself..but make sure this NEVER happens again

An F in a prereq certainly isn't a good thing, but if you're able to put in many semesters of near-4.0 performances in the future I don't think your case is hopeless. You have a lot of credits to go before you have to apply, and if you get A's in all (or nearly all) of them you'll certainly have a chance. (Of course, this assumes you retake that cellular bio class and get an A in it.)

BTW, some of you are bordering on being melodramatic here. It's not as though this poster has a habit of failing all sorts of classes over a number of successive semesters or something. Given his other grades, I'm sure there's some sort of reasonable explanation for this single F, and he'll probably re-take the class and do quite well.

I still have yet to understand why pre-meds get so snarky in these situations.

Honestly...as mean as this post is I think its true. An F is not that easy to get when you try hard. To us pre-meds..a C feels like an F honestly lol. You are NOT out of the game though...like others have said..you need ALL A's and B;s here on out..absolutely NO C's, D's or F's ever

Are you sure you took Cellular Biology? That is usually a junior or senior level class. If that is the case then it is your own fault for registering for a class you weren't prepared for; if it is just general biology then you have a lot of work to do since it only gets more difficult from general.

The OP took General Biology, I'm sure. That said, if he retakes and gets an A (which he should) he'll average a C in general biology. If he does well in Bio II and upper level courses (genetics, cell bio, biochemistry, etc) he has more than proven himself. Making him write off the next three years because of one F is extreme. He did fine in his other science class so he should have the ability to excel from here on out.

The OP seems to go to St Johns University since he took a course 'discover ny' many of my friends who go there tell me about this, furthermore how the pre-med classes there are practically a JOKE, they sleep through them and are getting A-/A's,

Retake the class, and study for it, because Bio is one thing actually taught at your school!

Thank you all for your honest answers. The class i got an F in was actually Cellular Biology (Honors Cellular Biology), not general biology. Our curriculum included proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, cell cycle, cell structures, cell division, cancer, DNA replication, and all other stuff like that. I dont know why they put me in there if this is not a class generally taken by freshmen.

And about the reason- In his class, if you fail the final exam, you fail the class regardless of what you get on the other tests. I've gotten around a B average on those other tests. The problem is, i seem to have failed the final. I must have been having a really off day and probably wrote something way off (his tests are all written examinations-essays and the like) and now have an F. This is unfortunate too, because i studied A LOT for it, and i think i knew the material pretty well. However, this professor is extremely demanding (wants the tests to be written in certain way and takes points off even if information is correct). There are some people who even failed the normal tests with his 18-21 point curve, and i am pretty sure only one person got an A out of the 30 people in the class (i know some who got A-'s though). I'm justifying my failing, but would this count as an explanation at an interview?

Also, if i were to take the class again, should I take it again with this professor? I'm asking this because I saw the tests of other cellular and molecular biology classes, and they are multiple choice jokes in my opinion.

Once again, thanks for all the help

BTW, i doubt that medical schools will care about this or not, but i am in honors all my courses except calculus. Will medical schools see that I am taking honors courses and hold me in higher regard than those who dont take honors (i am not taking honors for this reason though-i am hoping that honors would better prepare me for the MCAT)

dude, appeal the grade. That is ******ed to fail because you failed one test while doing well in the other exams. And no, cellular biology is NOT a freshman class... you need to DP your advisor for that one.

cellular biology is a junior level class.

Hmm...yeah, I'd probably take the class with a different professor. You're sure as heck not gonna get a good LOR from a professor whose class you failed. But who knows, you might end up loving some other prof?

dude, appeal the grade. That is ******ed to fail because you failed one test while doing well in the other exams. And no, cellular biology is NOT a freshman class... you need to DP your advisor for that one.

what does DP mean? and how do i appeal a grade, its specifically mentioned in the syllabus of his class that if you fail the final exam, you'll fail the class no matter what you get on the regular tests

Hmm...yeah, I'd probably take the class with a different professor. You're sure as heck not gonna get a good LOR from a professor whose class you failed. But who knows, you might end up loving some other prof?

I would love to take it with another professor, as they all seem to give easier tests than he does (easy multiple choice compared to difficult written tests). But will that show that I can't handle him or something?

I would love to take it with another professor, as they all seem to give easier tests than he does (easy multiple choice compared to difficult written tests). But will that show that I can't handle him or something?

No, your teachers' names are not mentioned on AMCAS so no one will ever know if you took it with him or someone else. Unless you decide to share that information. Which I wouldn't in your shoes.

If you have to explain the grade for any reason (some schools will ask you to explain grades lower than a B-) feel free to explain in very simple terms that failing the final meant failing the entire class. Share what you've learned. Make no excuses and just keep going.

If you don't have to explain the F, I honestly wouldn't even attempt it unless you have several grades that 'need explaining' by the time of your application. With any luck, your MCAT will be able to verify what kind of student you are.

:luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
If your story is true (which I am sure it is) then you got screwed over multiple times by the system and by your teacher.

Appeal the grade, retake the class, do whatever to make up for it in the application process for medical schools.

In my opinion, if you pull through this and don't let one piece of wrong advice from a bad advisor and a bad grade from a substandard teacher discourage you from a dream of going to medical school, then I feel that that is true dedication.

Being a doctor is about being a human, not just a series of numbers.

Appeal the grade, retake the class, do whatever to make up for it in the application process for medical schools.

Yeah, I'd definitely appeal the grade as an F is not something you want on your transcript (obviously) but be prepared to accept the F just in case. One F won't permanently keep you out of the medical profession. (Several Fs might).

Although the teacher's grading scale is totally bizarre (and probably marginally unfair), you knew the rules going into the class, so you might just end up stuck with that F. I'm not sure what grounds you have to appeal the grade. Teachers are allowed to set their grading policies however they want, unfortunately.

But good luck. Maybe the committee to whom you appeal will see your side.

If your story is true (which I am sure it is) then you got screwed over multiple times by the system and by your teacher.

In my opinion, if you pull through this and don't let one piece of wrong advice from a bad advisor and a bad grade from a substandard teacher discourage you from a dream of going to medical school, then I feel that that is true dedication.

Being a doctor is about being a human, not just a series of numbers.

Yeah, I'd definitely appeal the grade as an F is not something you want on your transcript (obviously) but be prepared to accept the F just in case. One F won't permanently keep you out of the medical profession. (Several Fs might).

Although the teacher's grading scale is totally bizarre (and probably marginally unfair), you knew the rules going into the class, so you might just end up stuck with that F. I'm not sure what grounds you have to appeal the grade. Teachers are allowed to set their grading policies however they want, unfortunately.

But good luck. Maybe the committee to whom you appeal will see your side.

So, I appeal to the teacher or some higher person/group about the grade? Sorry, I'm a bit confused on the appealing aspect as I just started college.

Cell is sophomore level only. Molecular is junior level.

Now I am confused. This is what my teacher wrote in his syllabus:
The second semester in a 3 semester sequence, HON1070 is the subject matter equivalent of Bio2000, a course is designed to provide first year students with a solid grounding in the concepts, theories and underlying facts that together attempt to explain and integrate what we know about life and its place in our corner of the universe. Semester I (Bio1000) is not a prerequisite; a year of high school chemistry or at least one semester of college chemistry is recommended prior to taking this course. HON1070 concentrates on the chemical foundations of all biological processes, and we almost never talk about anything larger than a single cell.................... Another name of this semester might well be “Introductory Molecular and Cellular Biology”

Now I am confused as to what course I really am in. I've been saying I was in cellular biology, but now I am confused...............maybe i really am only in general biology?

So, I appeal to the teacher or some higher person/group about the grade? Sorry, I'm a bit confused on the appealing aspect as I just started college.

Most schools have some sort of formal 'petition' that you can submit to appeal a grade. It will be sent to some sort of academic committee for consideration. If you talk to the registrar, I'm sure s/he can help you out about where to get and submit a petition.

I doubt it would be worthwhile to appeal to the professor...but you could do that if you thought it'd be fruitful.

And don't worry about the name of the course. Maybe your school does have some sort of cellular biology as an intro course. It's just not common to see that.

Hey, I am a freshman in undergraduate (1st term). I just got my final grades for the term, and I got an F in Cellular Biology. here are my grades so far

General Chemistry - A-
Calculus with Application to Life Sciences - A-
Chemistry Lab - A
Biology Lab - A
Discover New York - A-
BIOLOGY - F

Now, say if i get all A's for the rest of my undergraduate, do i still have a shot at getting into medical school (i'll retake the class and hopefully get an A). What about if i try to get a late withdrawal from the course, and retake the course?

thanks for any help
(i can take critical, honest answers.)
thanks!

Weird post, but i'll bite...

Withdraw from that class NOW! Don't get an F on your transcript - drop the f'ing class - find a way if they say its too late - go straight to the dean if you have to.

I was in a similar situation my freshman yr of college and dropped the class. It ended up as a "W" on my transcript. I got pretty much straight A's (and a few B+'s) from then on and never dropped another class. I had no problems getting interviews and got accepted to several great med schools. A word of advice - you will be asked about it come interview time so practice your bs explanation early.

Don't let these tools discourage you (ie - the 'stud' who said "consider some other field besides MD") - they have no idea what they are talking about. Don't eff up again and you'll be fine!

If it's too late to withdraw from the class, just move on. Don't make a pest of yourself by bothering the dean, dept. chair, etc. Chances are they will decline to impose their viewpoint (or yours) on a professor.

Do NOT retake the same class with the same professor. Just try to retake it with a different professor.
One F isn't going to sink your med school application...just forge ahead and make some more A's and A- grades...no more F's!

The prof's grading scale sounds a bit off the wall...but you'll find out it's very hard to change other people in your life...you can only change what YOU do.
Try to be better informed in the future about what classes you sign up for...maybe by talking to upper level biology majors, etc.

APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL!!!!! Especially if you only failed one exam.

A lot of schools refer to general/intro/whatever bio as "Cell Bio" which is a completely different class from "Cellular Biology." I'm pretty sure from the list of topics that the OP just took an accelerated general bio class.

A lot of schools refer to general/intro/whatever bio as "Cell Bio" which is a completely different class from "Cellular Biology." I'm pretty sure from the list of topics that the OP just took an accelerated general bio class.

:thumbup:. Sometimes the year of general bio is seperated into a semester called "cell bio" and a semester called "organismal bio."

Actually, my Biology I class was called Biology I: Cellular Biology, not to be confused with junior level Cell Biology. My Bio I class was an introduction to cell bio and general bio. It was just called that.

Now I am confused. This is what my teacher wrote in his syllabus:
The second semester in a 3 semester sequence, HON1070 is the subject matter equivalent of Bio2000, a course is designed to provide first year students with a solid grounding in the concepts, theories and underlying facts that together attempt to explain and integrate what we know about life and its place in our corner of the universe. Semester I (Bio1000) is not a prerequisite; a year of high school chemistry or at least one semester of college chemistry is recommended prior to taking this course. HON1070 concentrates on the chemical foundations of all biological processes, and we almost never talk about anything larger than a single cell.................... Another name of this semester might well be "Introductory Molecular and Cellular Biology"

Now I am confused as to what course I really am in. I've been saying I was in cellular biology, but now I am confused...............maybe i really am only in general biology?

This is the course you need. Every school calls them something different. General Biology might be for non-science majors at your school. As long as there are no Bio pre-requisites for it, you're fine in Cellular Biology. The *real* Cell Biology would require freshman Biology before taking it.