• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

tissy

U.S. Public Health Service
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Connecticut
Status
Dentist
I'm in the military and had to leave for two weeks so I missed 4 days of golf. On my behalf, I notified all my teachers except my golf instructor. I thought he wouldn't even notice since he doesn't take attendance; he was on vacation for a month and half. Anyhow, he failed me in his class. I talked to him and told him I would give him a letter from the Air Force but he said it wouldn't matter and my grade stands.. Is this going to look bad on my application? :(

dr.buck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I know how you feel. I took karate this semester and I was pretty scared I was going to do bad in a 1 credit class (I pulled an A). I'm never going to take classes like that again unless I already have experience in the sport. I hope things work out for you!

oldboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
Status
It will bring your gpa down. This instructor sounds like a dick. Take it
above his head to whoever is in charge. Don't give up.

About the Ads

Dutchboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree, try to talk to someone higher up. That's total crap considering you are in the military. Make a huge stink about it and maybe it will get changed. Don't take no for an answer!

Dutchboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
syn_apse said:
i wish my school offered PE classes!
I had to take a P.E. class for my general education. You don't? I took begining bowling, the sweetest classes I've ever had.

darius99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
Dental Student
what i wouldnt have given to have PE classes in college...

BigRedDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
KxM99 said:
what i wouldnt have given to have PE classes in college...
I have taken sailing, equestrian, mountain biking, swing dance, and wilderness navigation since I have been in school. There are some of the best stress relieving classes I have. Fortunatly, all of ours are Pass/Fail and you only need two to graduate so the ones after that you don't even need to pass.

irishpint

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
Status
BigRedDentist said:
I have taken sailing, equestrian, mountain biking, swing dance, and wilderness navigation since I have been in school. There are some of the best stress relieving classes I have. Fortunatly, all of ours are Pass/Fail and you only need two to graduate so the ones after that you don't even need to pass.

i have taken basic sailing, advanced sailing and rock climbing. next semester is yoga (AKA...hellllo ladies).

helps being right on the water :)

cdmOMR

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
FL
Status
Dentist
PE classes in college?? I never knew that exsisted. Do these classes actually count for your overall GPA? Good old Loyola, taking the fun out of everything again!

dr.buck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
92CamaroLS1 said:
PE classes in college?? I never knew that exsisted. Do these classes actually count for your overall GPA? Good old Loyola, taking the fun out of everything again!
They actually count in your GPA. I didn't have to do it, but it filled in a spot for my free electives.

vaio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2005
Status
i got a C in my golf class. It came up during one interview, the interviewer jokingly said, you must suck as much as i do :D

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Dental Student
dr.buck said:
I know how you feel. I took karate this semester and I was pretty scared I was going to do bad in a 1 credit class (I pulled an A). I'm never going to take classes like that again unless I already have experience in the sport. I hope things work out for you!

Im planning on taking basketball this summer. Are these PE classes hard to get an A in??? I made my middle school and freshman basketball teams before i switched to wrestling.

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Will 2nd year ever end?
Status
Dental Student
I think the real problem is not that you failed any old class, but that you failed golf! Do you not have the commitment it takes to succeed in our chosen profession? Being a good golfer is practically required for those who want to be good dentists.

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status
Dentist
If your absence was considered as excused absenses or legit (unless the syllabus clearly states no absences are acceptable...), I would take it to a higher level-that is if you can provide documentation.

Even if you can't get your grade changed, failing a golf class isn't the end of the world. Just provide an explanation if it comes up during your interview.

Richnator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
tissy said:
I'm in the military and had to leave for two weeks so I missed 4 days of golf. On my behalf, I notified all my teachers except my golf instructor. I thought he wouldn't even notice since he doesn't take attendance; he was on vacation for a month and half. Anyhow, he failed me in his class. I talked to him and told him I would give him a letter from the Air Force but he said it wouldn't matter and my grade stands.. Is this going to look bad on my application? :(
Talk to the chairman. This guy needs to have some empathy. You are serving your country.

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
If you have time, take it to higher authorities, like the department of PE, provided you got proper documentation.

If you are short of time, i wouldn't even worry about an F in golf class. I'm sure dental schools would barely notice that.

Heck, even if they notice your F in the golf class, so what? tell them you suck at golf and you'll find other ways to spend your hard earned money instead of playing golf all day long after retirement from dentistry (e.g. you'll give it to poor people).

In short, it's not that big of a deal, in my opinion.

mochafreak

registered quaffer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
Where the deer use crosswalks
Visit site
Status
Dentist
americanpierg said:
Im planning on taking basketball this summer. Are these PE classes hard to get an A in??? I made my middle school and freshman basketball teams before i switched to wrestling.
I took basketball. I ended up being the only girl in the class and all these guys were dunking over my head all the time. Didn't get one basket the entire class. :laugh: I didn't fail though, guess that had something to do with trying hard and not passing out.

dr.buck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
americanpierg said:

No, my class wasn't hard. It was only basic, beginner's instruction. Now if you took the professional PE classes then I suspect they are more difficult and not for the faint of heart. :) Don't worry. If basketball is your thing, then you should have no problem. I love basketball too. I'm too cheap to pay for it this semester. lol So, in other words, easy A.

dr.buck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
mochafreak said:
I took basketball. I ended up being the only girl in the class and all these guys were dunking over my head all the time. Didn't get one basket the entire class. :laugh: I didn't fail though, guess that had something to do with trying hard and not passing out.
Wow! LOL

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Richnator said:
Talk to the chairman. This guy needs to have some empathy. You are serving your country.
If y'all will pardon my candor--screw empathy, this is an issue already settled by federal law. Take a copy of your orders to the department head, and politely remind him/her that the professor is prohibited from penalizing you for having to miss class because of military duty.

If *that* doesn't work, your commander or admin NCO should have the number for a civilian employment liaison. Give them a call, explain the situation, and if it works the same for you as it did for a friend of mine a few months ago, your professor/department head/academic VP/whosever name you give them will get a call from someone at the Pentagon informing them of the same thing in somewhat less courteous fashion. ;) Good luck getting this sorted out.

About the Ads