F in golf class(PE)..how bad is that

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the military and had to leave for two weeks so I missed 4 days of golf. On my behalf, I notified all my teachers except my golf instructor. I thought he wouldn't even notice since he doesn't take attendance; he was on vacation for a month and half. Anyhow, he failed me in his class. I talked to him and told him I would give him a letter from the Air Force but he said it wouldn't matter and my grade stands.. Is this going to look bad on my application? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel. I took karate this semester and I was pretty scared I was going to do bad in a 1 credit class (I pulled an A). I'm never going to take classes like that again unless I already have experience in the sport. I hope things work out for you!

It will bring your gpa down. This instructor sounds like a dick. Take it
above his head to whoever is in charge. Don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, try to talk to someone higher up. That's total crap considering you are in the military. Make a huge stink about it and maybe it will get changed. Don't take no for an answer!

i wish my school offered PE classes!

syn_apse said:
i wish my school offered PE classes!
I had to take a P.E. class for my general education. You don't? I took begining bowling, the sweetest classes I've ever had.

what i wouldnt have given to have PE classes in college...

KxM99 said:
what i wouldnt have given to have PE classes in college...

I have taken sailing, equestrian, mountain biking, swing dance, and wilderness navigation since I have been in school. There are some of the best stress relieving classes I have. Fortunatly, all of ours are Pass/Fail and you only need two to graduate so the ones after that you don't even need to pass.

BigRedDentist said:
I have taken sailing, equestrian, mountain biking, swing dance, and wilderness navigation since I have been in school. There are some of the best stress relieving classes I have. Fortunatly, all of ours are Pass/Fail and you only need two to graduate so the ones after that you don't even need to pass.

i have taken basic sailing, advanced sailing and rock climbing. next semester is yoga (AKA...hellllo ladies).

helps being right on the water :)

PE classes in college?? I never knew that exsisted. Do these classes actually count for your overall GPA? Good old Loyola, taking the fun out of everything again!

92CamaroLS1 said:
PE classes in college?? I never knew that exsisted. Do these classes actually count for your overall GPA? Good old Loyola, taking the fun out of everything again!

They actually count in your GPA. I didn't have to do it, but it filled in a spot for my free electives.

i got a C in my golf class. It came up during one interview, the interviewer jokingly said, you must suck as much as i do :D

dr.buck said:
I know how you feel. I took karate this semester and I was pretty scared I was going to do bad in a 1 credit class (I pulled an A). I'm never going to take classes like that again unless I already have experience in the sport. I hope things work out for you!

Im planning on taking basketball this summer. Are these PE classes hard to get an A in??? I made my middle school and freshman basketball teams before i switched to wrestling.

I think the real problem is not that you failed any old class, but that you failed golf! Do you not have the commitment it takes to succeed in our chosen profession? Being a good golfer is practically required for those who want to be good dentists.

If your absence was considered as excused absenses or legit (unless the syllabus clearly states no absences are acceptable...), I would take it to a higher level-that is if you can provide documentation.

Even if you can't get your grade changed, failing a golf class isn't the end of the world. Just provide an explanation if it comes up during your interview.

tissy said:
I'm in the military and had to leave for two weeks so I missed 4 days of golf. On my behalf, I notified all my teachers except my golf instructor. I thought he wouldn't even notice since he doesn't take attendance; he was on vacation for a month and half. Anyhow, he failed me in his class. I talked to him and told him I would give him a letter from the Air Force but he said it wouldn't matter and my grade stands.. Is this going to look bad on my application? :(
Talk to the chairman. This guy needs to have some empathy. You are serving your country.

If you have time, take it to higher authorities, like the department of PE, provided you got proper documentation.

If you are short of time, i wouldn't even worry about an F in golf class. I'm sure dental schools would barely notice that.

Heck, even if they notice your F in the golf class, so what? tell them you suck at golf and you'll find other ways to spend your hard earned money instead of playing golf all day long after retirement from dentistry (e.g. you'll give it to poor people).

In short, it's not that big of a deal, in my opinion.

americanpierg said:
Im planning on taking basketball this summer. Are these PE classes hard to get an A in??? I made my middle school and freshman basketball teams before i switched to wrestling.

I took basketball. I ended up being the only girl in the class and all these guys were dunking over my head all the time. Didn't get one basket the entire class. :laugh: I didn't fail though, guess that had something to do with trying hard and not passing out.

americanpierg said:

No, my class wasn't hard. It was only basic, beginner's instruction. Now if you took the professional PE classes then I suspect they are more difficult and not for the faint of heart. :) Don't worry. If basketball is your thing, then you should have no problem. I love basketball too. I'm too cheap to pay for it this semester. lol So, in other words, easy A.

mochafreak said:
I took basketball. I ended up being the only girl in the class and all these guys were dunking over my head all the time. Didn't get one basket the entire class. :laugh: I didn't fail though, guess that had something to do with trying hard and not passing out.

Wow! LOL

Richnator said:
Talk to the chairman. This guy needs to have some empathy. You are serving your country.

If y'all will pardon my candor--screw empathy, this is an issue already settled by federal law. Take a copy of your orders to the department head, and politely remind him/her that the professor is prohibited from penalizing you for having to miss class because of military duty.

If *that* doesn't work, your commander or admin NCO should have the number for a civilian employment liaison. Give them a call, explain the situation, and if it works the same for you as it did for a friend of mine a few months ago, your professor/department head/academic VP/whosever name you give them will get a call from someone at the Pentagon informing them of the same thing in somewhat less courteous fashion. ;) Good luck getting this sorted out.