Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

F in golf class(PE)..how bad is that

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tissy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. tissy

U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm in the military and had to leave for two weeks so I missed 4 days of golf. On my behalf, I notified all my teachers except my golf instructor. I thought he wouldn't even notice since he doesn't take attendance; he was on vacation for a month and half. Anyhow, he failed me in his class. I talked to him and told him I would give him a letter from the Air Force but he said it wouldn't matter and my grade stands.. Is this going to look bad on my application? :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dr.buck

dr.buck Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know how you feel. I took karate this semester and I was pretty scared I was going to do bad in a 1 credit class (I pulled an A). I'm never going to take classes like that again unless I already have experience in the sport. I hope things work out for you!

4. oldboy

oldboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It will bring your gpa down. This instructor sounds like a dick. Take it
    above his head to whoever is in charge. Don't give up.

5. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree, try to talk to someone higher up. That's total crap considering you are in the military. Make a huge stink about it and maybe it will get changed. Don't take no for an answer!

6. syn_apse

syn_apse Registered Loser
    5+ Year Member

i wish my school offered PE classes!

7. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had to take a P.E. class for my general education. You don't? I took begining bowling, the sweetest classes I've ever had.

8. darius99

darius99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    what i wouldnt have given to have PE classes in college...

9. BigRedDentist

BigRedDentist Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have taken sailing, equestrian, mountain biking, swing dance, and wilderness navigation since I have been in school. There are some of the best stress relieving classes I have. Fortunatly, all of ours are Pass/Fail and you only need two to graduate so the ones after that you don't even need to pass.

10. irishpint

irishpint Member
    5+ Year Member

i have taken basic sailing, advanced sailing and rock climbing. next semester is yoga (AKA...hellllo ladies).

helps being right on the water :)

11. 92CamaroLS1

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    PE classes in college?? I never knew that exsisted. Do these classes actually count for your overall GPA? Good old Loyola, taking the fun out of everything again!

12. dr.buck

dr.buck Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They actually count in your GPA. I didn't have to do it, but it filled in a spot for my free electives.

13. vaio

vaio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i got a C in my golf class. It came up during one interview, the interviewer jokingly said, you must suck as much as i do :D

14. americanpierg

americanpierg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student

Im planning on taking basketball this summer. Are these PE classes hard to get an A in??? I made my middle school and freshman basketball teams before i switched to wrestling.

15. adamlc18

adamlc18 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think the real problem is not that you failed any old class, but that you failed golf! Do you not have the commitment it takes to succeed in our chosen profession? Being a good golfer is practically required for those who want to be good dentists.

16. Sweeti8286

Sweeti8286 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    If your absence was considered as excused absenses or legit (unless the syllabus clearly states no absences are acceptable...), I would take it to a higher level-that is if you can provide documentation.

Even if you can't get your grade changed, failing a golf class isn't the end of the world. Just provide an explanation if it comes up during your interview.

17. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Talk to the chairman. This guy needs to have some empathy. You are serving your country.

18. drengineer

drengineer Back to surfing!
    7+ Year Member

If you have time, take it to higher authorities, like the department of PE, provided you got proper documentation.

If you are short of time, i wouldn't even worry about an F in golf class. I'm sure dental schools would barely notice that.

Heck, even if they notice your F in the golf class, so what? tell them you suck at golf and you'll find other ways to spend your hard earned money instead of playing golf all day long after retirement from dentistry (e.g. you'll give it to poor people).

In short, it's not that big of a deal, in my opinion.

19. mochafreak

mochafreak registered quaffer
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I took basketball. I ended up being the only girl in the class and all these guys were dunking over my head all the time. Didn't get one basket the entire class. :laugh: I didn't fail though, guess that had something to do with trying hard and not passing out.

20. dr.buck

dr.buck Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

No, my class wasn't hard. It was only basic, beginner's instruction. Now if you took the professional PE classes then I suspect they are more difficult and not for the faint of heart. :) Don't worry. If basketball is your thing, then you should have no problem. I love basketball too. I'm too cheap to pay for it this semester. lol So, in other words, easy A.

21. dr.buck

dr.buck Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow! LOL

22. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    If y'all will pardon my candor--screw empathy, this is an issue already settled by federal law. Take a copy of your orders to the department head, and politely remind him/her that the professor is prohibited from penalizing you for having to miss class because of military duty.

If *that* doesn't work, your commander or admin NCO should have the number for a civilian employment liaison. Give them a call, explain the situation, and if it works the same for you as it did for a friend of mine a few months ago, your professor/department head/academic VP/whosever name you give them will get a call from someone at the Pentagon informing them of the same thing in somewhat less courteous fashion. ;) Good luck getting this sorted out.