This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lubdub223

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Experts,

I'm hoping you guys can help me settle a little debate I've been having for a few moths. I applied for an F30 and got an impact score of 10 on my first application. Obviously, I was thrilled and feel super lucky to be in an environment that made that possible.

But now the debate: How common is that score? The responses have ranged from thrilled getting really fired up to totally nonchalant 'oh that's a pretty good score' and just about everything in between. Is there any data on just how common a score of '10' is?

Thanks, smart people!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on your score but what exactly are you fishing for here? Be happy and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your score but what exactly are you fishing for here? Be happy and move on.

I think OP is asking if getting a 10 is really all that big of a deal since he/she got a bunch of meh reactions from peers. Yea, it's the best score, but how much of an accomplishment is that in reality?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I am happy. :) I'm just confused by the mix of reactions. Some people seem to think it's something to alert the media about and others act like its good, but nothing more exciting than getting the grant in the fist place. I just wondered if lots of people get a 10 or if it's something to feel really proud about...

Hello SDN Experts,

I'm hoping you guys can help me settle a little debate I've been having for a few moths. I applied for an F30 and got an impact score of 10 on my first application. Obviously, I was thrilled and feel super lucky to be in an environment that made that possible.

But now the debate: just how common is that score? The responses have ranged from thrilled getting really fired up to totally nonchalant 'oh wow that's a pretty good score' and just about everything in between. Is there any data on just how common a score of '10' is?

Thanks, smart people!

Depends on the institute and on the study section. But completely agree with above - it's the notice of award that matters.

Do they report percentiles with the impact factor these days? I know they still do for R01's, but I can't recall for the F's. My guess is no, or else you wouldn't be asking this question.