Facepalm interview moments 2016 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the first question my interviewer asked me: "so you went to school x for college. I have to ask you, is it really as big a party school as everyone talks about?"

My answer: "oh definitely, it's a lot of fun. There isn't much to do besides party, so you have to be proactive in finding other things to do."

Don't know if this was the best answer hahah but he seemed to like it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
So the first question my interviewer asked me: "so you went to school x for college. I have to ask you, is it really as big a party school as everyone talks about?"

My answer: "oh definitely, it's a lot of fun. There isn't much to do besides party, so you have to be proactive in finding other things to do."

Don't know if this was the best answer hahah but he seemed to like it

I love it

General topic: Discuss a time that you had to work as a group. What challenges did you face?
*response about year-long group project, learning to listen to other members and adapt the project so that they could pursue what interested them instead of bossing people around*
Q: What did you learn from this experience?
A: Well, I can be a bit pushy.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was amazing I was stunned
Haha I definitely agree abt the awkwardness involved sometimes. You know it's the most impt day of your life and this is when you show them how amazing you are but never pictured it this way. I'm still in search of being in a group that seemed genuinely nice. So far I'm seeing ppl way too competitive but am still waiting to hear back from most places so sample size is small so far.

Sat on a swivel chair for an interview. Noticed halfway through that, ah crap, I'm nervously twisting back and forth on the chair, mental note to stop that. Then I would subconsciously start up again every time I was trying to think of an answer to a question :mad::smack::bang:

Reactions: 8 users
Sat on a swivel chair for an interview. Noticed halfway through that, ah crap, I'm nervously twisting back and forth on the chair, mental note to stop that. Then I would subconsciously start up again every time I was trying to think of an answer to a question :mad::smack::bang:
Omg I did that during a videotaped mock interview then when I had to watch it on the Cringemaster 3000 I about died from self loathing.

Reactions: 11 users
I had an interviewer say"teach me something".... I sat there for about 20 seconds and couldn't think of s***.

First thing to come to my mind: I asked her if she knew anything about football. She said no, so I responded "Well great, I'll teach you!"

I started drawing up some different defensive schemes... Cover 2, Cover 3, man-to-man... She seemed pretty disinterested, did not ask many questions. At the end, I asked if she had any kids.. She had 3 boys. I said oh awesome! Are any of them going to play football??

Interviewer: Oh God no, I would NEVER let them play football. They all LOVE gymnastics...
Me: Oh yeah, football is really dangerous (even though I just talked about it for 5 minutes)...

*Time to try to relate to the interviewer*

Me: My mom once made me do gymnastics with my sister when I was little. I think I would have been pretty good if I would of stuck with it.
Interviewer: Oh really?? How far along did you get in your training?
Me: uhhhhh.... I just remember jumping in the ball pit the whole time......

*Awkward Silence*

Me: "Okay, well I hope you enjoyed your football lesson! Have a great day"

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
I had a question that said "teach me something".... I sat there for about 20 seconds and couldn't think of s***.

First thing to come to my mind: I asked her if she knew anything about football. She said no, so I responded "Well great, I'll teach you!"

I started drawing up some different defensive schemes... Cover 2, Cover 3, man-to-man... She seemed pretty disinterested, did not ask many questions. At the end, I asked if she had any kids.. She had 3 boys. I said oh awesome! Are any of them going to play football??

Interviewer: Oh God no, I would NEVER let them play football. They all LOVE gymnastics...
Me: Oh yeah, football is really dangerous (even though I just talked about it for 5 minutes)...

Me: My mom once made me do gymnastics with my sister when I was little. I think I would have been pretty good if I would of stuck with it.

*Bell Rang*

Me: "Okay, well I hope you enjoyed your football lesson!"
What a weird question haha. I have no idea how I would've responded to that.

Reactions: 2 users
Do not rek? Of course not. All my patients get rekt under my care

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

omfg I just died. not cool. I just laughed out loud at my computer:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

edit: This thread redeems my thoughts on SDN so much aha these are too funny

Reactions: 1 user
OH MAN COULD I CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD... but they happened in MMI so I can't :bigtears::bigtears:

Pretty sure one of these has been during an MMI --football lolol---

What a weird question haha. I have no idea how I would've responded to that.

I've been sitting here trying to think of one thing I could teach an interviewer....It's a hard question!

I've been sitting here trying to think of one thing I could teach an interviewer....It's a hard question!
Have you ever made cereal before? Well here's what you do. Grab a bowl and spoon, fill that bowl about 75% full of cereal. Then, take your milk out of the fridge and smell it to make sure it's not expired. Add some milk to the bowl, and enjoy. Any questions?

That's all I've got.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had some self-defense techniques running through my head but then I realized I'm probably wearing a suit at that point and it's probably not the best option:rolleyes:

I'm torn between the heavyside function or teaching a scale on my instrument.

I actually had some self-defense techniques running through my head but then I realized I'm probably wearing a suit at that point and it's probably not the best option:rolleyes:

Wearing a suit though, this was the first thing that came to my mind. You could just teach it from standing:

Squad/fireteam movements through open terrain, urban terrain. setting in a company size defense, digging fighting holes and consolidating range cards. I doubt too many interviewers would be much of an expert there lol....

Reactions: 3 users
Wearing a suit though, this was the first thing that came to my mind. You could just teach it from standing:

Guess who just learned something today!

EDIT: Lol I probably won't actually do it during an interview

I'd just do something simple that I know off the top of my head. Ya only got 6 minutes

I'd just do something simple that I know off the top of my head. Ya only got 6 minutes

The hard part is thinking of something off the top of your head....

I would have taught them how to cook something.

Reactions: 4 users
I would have taught them how to cook something.
Ok rule 1: everything stops burning one way or another. Sure it may take down your apartment complex, but it WILL stop.

A few come to mind, 2 involved people I know are on SDN, and I feel too bad to say anything about it...however one of the most cringeworthy was a fellow applicant was wearing no tie, no undershirt, about 3 buttons undone, flowing chest hair exposed. We're talked Tony Montana style here

Reactions: 7 users
Not an interview yet, but I had an entire meeting with the director of one of the MD/PhD programs I'm applying to, then looked in a mirror and realized I had a pen mark on my face. At some point I must have gestured with my pen and touched my cheek on accident, and he was probably looking at it the whole time. Hope this isn't a bad sign for my actual interview later this week...

Squad/fireteam movements through open terrain, urban terrain. setting in a company size defense, digging fighting holes and consolidating range cards. I doubt too many interviewers would be much of an expert there lol....
This is actually literally the first thing that came to mind for me. I'd probably teach them how to do a basic squad ambush or a react to contact.

Or maybe how to do a 9-line MEDEVAC lol.

This is actually literally the first thing that came to mind for me. I'd probably teach them how to do a basic squad ambush or a react to contact.

Or maybe how to do a 9-line MEDEVAC lol.

First things that came to me were CQB stuff, weapons fam, ballistics, and TCCC.

Reactions: 1 users
First things that came to me were CQB stuff, weapons fam, ballistics, and TCCC.

Agreed. Also, bayonet assault ("What makes the green grass grow?") or Filipino knife fighting...
...demonstrated on gunners and/or trolls.

Kidding!! I kill 'em with kindness. But I do like the TCCC and 9 line ideas.

I had an interviewer say"teach me something".... I sat there for about 20 seconds and couldn't think of s***.

*Awkward Silence*

Me: "Okay, well I hope you enjoyed your football lesson! Have a great day"

"How good are you at kissing?";)

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed. Also, bayonet assault ("What makes the green grass grow?") or Filipino knife fighting...
...demonstrated on gunners and/or trolls.

Kidding!! I kill 'em with kindness. But I do like the TCCC and 9 line ideas.

Yeah, the tactical and weapons stuff can be risky because you never know if your interviewer is some weird anti-gun fanatic. I'd probably save that one unless my interviewer had pics of himself hunting or something, in which case I'd try to stick to military weapons that I might be able to teach them something about.

Yeah, the tactical and weapons stuff can be risky because you never know if your interviewer is some weird anti-gun fanatic. I'd probably save that one unless my interviewer had pics of himself hunting or something, in which case I'd try to stick to military weapons that I might be able to teach them something about.
Teach him how to keep a hacked up pig alive. Pig course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Live vivisections are frowned upon in the medical community

They are used in tactical combat medicine because they are the closest thing to human, and it's been shown to work. Pig labs combined with stressful simulations using real amputees and wound simulators is the best we have.

Reactions: 5 users
They are used in tactical combat medicine because they are the closest thing to human, and it's been shown to work. Pig labs combined with stressful simulations using real amputees and wound simulators is the best we have.

Wow, that's cool. I had no idea!

Yeah well one does what one is voluntold to do. We generally don't have much say in what courses we are sent to....

There were physicians in the 1700s that were so good at vivisections that they could keep animals alive for the entire vivisection.

Thank god we have cadavers

For real lol, in regular combat casualty course, at least for us grunts, combat casualty course consists of 60% hazing, 35% tourniquet drills, and what little time is left on more useful stuff like IV's, pneumothorax, sucking chest wounds, etc......

For real lol, in regular combat casualty course, at least for us grunts, combat casualty course consists of 60% hazing, 35% tourniquet drills, and what little time is left on more useful stuff like IV's, pneumothorax, sucking chest wounds, etc......

What hazing? Hazing doesn't happen in the military. Unless you're a khaki, of course.

I could teach him what happens when a missile flies into your ship and explodes ten feet over your head. After you **** yourself, I mean.
It's probably just be easier to teach them to **** themselves.

"Ok a missle just exploded 10 ft over your head. What do you do?"

"Uh... run? I don't know"

"WRONG! You **** yourself, you get me?"

You mean you hide in berthing while the real men go fight the casualties.
I consider it karma lol. Spending all our day doing PT, drills, classes, etc while watching navy sit around and cutting chow lines for "duty" lol. Kind of an in your face moment when the roles were reversed in GQ's. Except the few where we had to man the 240's on the rails..... straits crossings sucked.

I had an interview where I asked my interviewer a question he couldn't answer (def not inappropriate or anything), is that bad?

I had an interview where I asked my interviewer a question he couldn't answer (def not inappropriate or anything), is that bad?
Depends what the question was....
Doubtful, though. They cant be expected to know everything. Especially since a lot of the time they might not even be faculty.

Depends what the question was....
Doubtful, though. They cant be expected to know everything. Especially since a lot of the time they might not even be faculty.

It was a student and was about which of the two programs at a school was better. I guess he didn't want to talk down any