Facial hair during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How should a male interviewee present himself for medical school interviews?

• Total voters

bakr89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a light beard and it is well groomed. I have heard that it is usually better to be clean shaved for interviews...what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

This saddens me, since I have a nice, well groomed beard, and I look horrible clean shaven.

Members don't see this ad :)
It most likely won't be a huge factor. However, would you rather have a beard for your interview or not be accepted to medical school?

I preferred the latter, so I shaved my beard for my interviews just to be safe

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen plenty of guys with well groomed beards in my interviews. I don't think it's really a big deal, especially if you feel more comfortable and confident with your beard. Just make sure it's trimmed up and not looking scraggly

Reactions: 2 users
A nicely trimmed beard is equal to the clean shaven look. So long as you are presentable, professional and polite to all those you encounter on interview day, there is no disadvantage to what's on your face.
However, if you can't grow a nice beard (one that adds something to your face, not detracts), I would forgo it to put your best foot forward

Reactions: 1 users
The short beard/stubble that is "in" right now is acceptable amongst peers. However, interviewers, who are not our peers and less informed of fashion fads, do not know this. I was at a Q&A session at an MD school, and the director of admissions specifically talked about how clean shaven is more favorable to the applicant because of this very fact. She said she has had to explain to interviewers in adcom meetings who said, "He didn't even shave for the interview!" that it was a fad, and not him being negligent about his appearance.

I totally understand this but it frustrates me because I have sensitive skin and can't shave completely. I use an electric razor and so I always have a little bit of "shadow" because my skin is too sensitive for a razor. I would rather have that then have my skin turn all red and make me look ridiculous and be uncomfortable all day. It's really a shame that things like this even matter. As long as you are well groomed, clean, and in a suit it shouldn't matter. I feel like people at a medical school should be the first to understand this.

So long as you are clean and groomed it won't matter.

I have a fairly long beard, attended interviews at three schools (LECOM, ATSU-SOMA, and KCU) and received acceptances to all but KCU (waitlisted). I was the only one with a beard at my interviews, though I don't think it negatively impacted my chances at all. I would recommend sticking with the beard if you're comfortable with it.

I have a light beard and it is well groomed. I have heard that it is usually better to be clean shaved for interviews...what do you guys think?
Hey, don't listen to anyone who tells you to shave your beard (they don't have first hand experience). As long as it isn't a 5-0'clock, you are set (just make sure it is trimmed and not wild). I myself have had a beard for almost 2 years now and when it came time to interview, I was ABSOLUTELY torn between shaving or not. Like you I came to SDN for advice and almost every comment said that you should shave (even some adcoms said that). However, there seems to be a lack of logical reasoning behind their stance, which is why I chose to keep my beard (an integral part of my identity). I knew that if I shaved, I would feel SO uncomfortable. People say "it's just a beard it will grow back" or "do you want to get accepted to med school or keep your beard?" All I have to say is, that is complete BS and a very shallow way of thinking. And don't get me started on the people who say you choosing to not shave your beard because of these reasons shows how "immature" you are. That's pathetic in my opinion. Since when is it okay for interviewers to judge applicants based on their appearance? As long as your beard is trimmed and professional, there is no distinction between clean shaven and having a beard.

I kept my beard, interviewed at 7 schools, 5 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and 1 rejection. And the rejection was due to my stats, NOT my appearance. Keep the beard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Clean shaven is generally preferred by adcoms, but if this is really true, I think you'll be fine.

Yeah, my self-attractiveness level goes up by at least 2 points with scruff/beard. I'm sure interviewers don't care if you are attractive or not, but feeling better about yourself, I think plays a part in your confidence level in interviews. eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a full beard. Groomed of course. In fact I added a little fade to accentuate my jaw line; not something I usually do. Acceptances everywhere I interviewed. Makes no difference. Just go in and kill that interview!!

Worrying about little things like this can distract you. I was crazy worried about wearing a black suit bc everyone on SDN said it was the worst idea, people wear black suits to funerals etc. Went to the interview and quickly realized level of neuroticism on SDN is up in the clouds.

Be yourself. Be comfortable. Focus on your responses, forget about everything else.

Reactions: 5 users
I had a full beard. Groomed of course. In fact I added a little fade to accentuate my jaw line; not something I usually do. Acceptances everywhere I interviewed. Makes no difference. Just go in and kill that interview!!

Worrying about little things like this can distract you. I was crazy worried about wearing a black suit bc everyone on SDN said it was the worst idea, people wear black suits to funerals etc. Went to the interview and quickly realized level of neuroticism on SDN is up in the clouds.

Be yourself. Be comfortable. Focus on your responses, forget about everything else.
fade?

Yeah, so my beard was darker along the jaw line. The higher it went, the lighter it got until it was clean off. As I have a round face, this helps me achieve a boxier look - which makes me look better when I'm in a suit.

Went to the interview and quickly realized level of neuroticism on SDN is up in the clouds

This really hit home for me when I saw people in the Women's Interview Clothes thread saying that wearing a pump with an ankle strap was unacceptable. The person asking said her heels are too narrow to wear regular pumps without them falling off, and people were telling her to drop a ton of money on custom pumps.

I highly doubt having an ankle strap on your shoes would even be noticed, much less the difference between an acceptance or rejection. As long as you look well-groomed and professional (by the standards of people aged 40+) your appearance is good to go.

Guys...don't listen to med students and pre-meds on this topic. Listen to the attendings...they know. Who is going to hold it against you if you are clean shaven? Zero. Who's going to hold it against you if you have a beard? More than zero.

Easy answer.

Reactions: 5 users
I've seen plenty of guys with well groomed beards in my interviews. I don't think it's really a big deal, especially if you feel more comfortable and confident with your beard. Just make sure it's trimmed up and not looking scraggly

And no food crumbs or dandruff.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all of your inputs guys! I think I will play it by ear, but I feel a lot more comfortable with the prospect of keeping my beard for my interview :D

i have a well groomed goatee and wore it for all of my interviews. I have multiple acceptances as well, so it worked for me. I think the well-groomed part of the statement is key. The other aspect is the confidence factor. If you feel less confident without the beard, then leave it.

I have a huge beard, the kind that people give me a double take when they first see me. It is all about confidence and how you like to represent yourself. I find that ultimately people prefer substance over style. If you feel that the beard brings your confidence and comfort, I would keep it. That is not to dismiss the idea that people generally like clean shaven. In the end what comes out of your mouth and your body language will be vastly more important.

I have a nicely trimmed and maintained beard and I was accepted yesterday. Be yourself. If you have a beard, keep it nice and wear it. Especially if you're younger. A beard can make you look older and that will be more favorable than if the committee perceives you as "too young".

Well-groomed beards are fine. I'm 3/3 with mine. ;)

Might get flak for this... but I went with subtle stubble. I didn't wanna rock the wet behind the ears look- plus it adds a bit of sprezzatura. Surprisingly, I wasn't the only one either.

Might get flak for this... but I went with subtle stubble. I didn't wanna rock the wet behind the ears look- plus it adds a bit of sprezzatura. Surprisingly, I wasn't the only one either.

At the larger interview groups, I saw at least 2-3 guys sporting a stubble. It suits some people for sure, but I would still advise against a stubble haha. Congrats on the acceptance!

I totally understand this but it frustrates me because I have sensitive skin and can't shave completely. I use an electric razor and so I always have a little bit of "shadow" because my skin is too sensitive for a razor. I would rather have that then have my skin turn all red and make me look ridiculous and be uncomfortable all day. It's really a shame that things like this even matter. As long as you are well groomed, clean, and in a suit it shouldn't matter. I feel like people at a medical school should be the first to understand this.

Well if your skin is an issue, have you tried waxing? I definitely prefer waxing to all types of hair removal methods. Benefits include no ingrown hairs, removed dead layers of skin etc.

At the larger interview groups, I saw at least 2-3 guys sporting a stubble. It suits some people for sure, but I would still advise against a stubble haha. Congrats on the acceptance!

Yeah I was a bit surprised about seeing so much facial hair in general. One dude even had a mustache! And thanks, you too!

I payed $20 to have my beard trimmed and outlined (old-school style) the day before my interview. I looked very mature and felt much more confident with a well groomed beard. I feel naked without my beard and would'nt shave it for the world. I think the most important thing is to look like a potential doctor and I must say my beard is was on fleek! (End result was was an acceptance so they must of though so as well)

hagrid2_3235619b.jpg

Just dont go rockin this look and you should be good