Facial hair on portrait and interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypophora

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Warning, this question might seem kind of vapid.

So we have to include a picture of ourselves with most secondaries. Would it be a bad idea to keep my facial hair for this picture? This question applies to interviews too, probably more so actually.

I'm an asian guy (mid 20s) with a short beard, my goatee area and mustache are pretty well populated, but growth is sparser on the cheeks, not quite patchy, but not super well filled in. To paint a full picture I also wear glasses (black, rectangular, plastic), and my hair is in a buzzcut.

I honestly hate my bare-shaven face. I look really young. The facial hair helps define my jaw/cheeks and makes me look like an adult.

Any opinions on how to present myself in this photo and on my interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I am have a short beard, and I kept it for my pictures, and I plan on keeping it for interviews

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Shave.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from someone with the same issue (except I can grow one heck of a beard everywhere), you should shave. Everyone looks older in a suit and tie and you will stand out as poorly kept at interviews. I bit the bullet on one of my best looking beards ever this week to take a pic for secondaries, but you just gotta play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Reactions: 2 users
Coming from someone with the same issue (except I can grow one heck of a beard everywhere), you should shave. Everyone looks older in a suit and tie and you will stand out as poorly kept at interviews. I bit the bullet on one of my best looking beards ever this week to take a pic for secondaries, but you just gotta play the game the way it's meant to be played.
+1, big burly beard sacrificed to the interview gods.

Reactions: 4 users
I bit the bullet on one of my best looking beards ever this week to take a pic for secondaries

I'm so sorry for your loss. Well, if you were willing to put what I can only imagine as a truly magnificent facial growth onto the sacrificial pyre, then I guess I have no choice in the matter. Scheduling impending depilation.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Well, if you were willing to put what I can only imagine as a truly magnificent facial growth onto the sacrificial pyre, then I guess I have no choice in the matter. Scheduling impending depilation.
Good man, and good luck!

RIP in peace

Reactions: 1 user
The general consensus would be to shave, but I kept a beard for pictures and interviews with no problems.

What @Cawolf said. As long as you're professional looking, I don't think it's a problem. I had zero issues with my beard in my secondary photo or interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just like with all the interview attire threads that will be popping up in the next month, the advise is the same. Be sensible. Nothing about your appearance will be a bonus, it can only be a detractor. If you think you look handsome and rugged, but you're actually a scruffy looking nerfherder, that's a strike against you. A beard can be professional if done well.

What @Cawolf said. As long as you're professional looking, I don't think it's a problem. I had zero issues with my beard in my secondary photo or interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Having a beard that is not well filled in will not look professional.

douche beard.jpg

thoughts on this look?

Unless its for religious or cultural reasons, you should shave. I kept my facial hair for my secondary and for my interviews, but that's purely from a religious standpoint. However, it was clearly religious because in my work+activities, the religious organization was listed, so it didn't shock the schools.

If you ultimately decide NOT to shave, it must, absolutely, be well kept and professional--now isn't the time to have the sexy friday night snapchat selfie look; now is the time to look like a candidate whose being judged to be a doctor or not.

If you ultimately decide NOT to shave, it must, absolutely, be well kept and professional--now isn't the time to have the sexy friday night snapchat selfie look; now is the time to look like a candidate whose being judged to be a doctor or not.

Good point. I must admit I do think my facial hair is very sexy. But the sexiness of applicants is not what is under scrutiny. Hopefully.