Facing the hard truth...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahnung

Noob on a stick
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...of hard work.

I'm 20 years old. I've been post-baccing since last May, shooting to apply this year for MSTP, and I feel like I'm losing my inner flame (not to mention my inner mind).

Stats-wise, do I even compete for MSTP? Starting with the bad stuff, to keep you interested:

MCAT. I'm freaked about the MCAT, and have yet to really study. I average 30R on practice tests (P7,V11,B12), but I feel like a 35 is within reach.

Gap year. After graduating, I feel like I dropped off the face of the earth. I've a full-time research job at a medical school; I've 4 different PIs, but am doing all the research and writing by myself. ECs have dissipated.

Now the good stuff (because we care):

So I was kind of the "golden child" of my science graduating class - got awards for outstanding graduate in both my majors, plus the one for top grad in the College of Science - all 1-person/year honors. 4.0c, 3 departmental scholarships, a summer internship and honors thesis. But then again, all that was at a state school, so I don't feel like it stacks up. I'm not trolling, I'm serious. Does coming from the boonies invalidate this stuff by any measure?

--3y+ research experience (well over 2200h), all paid. A few abstracts and ppts, no papers. Lots of in-lab teaching (UG & MS students), lots of techniques, lots of independence - I tended to get handed fledgling projects, hence the large amount of work with no pubs.

--Not much shadowing, ~60h. But I candy-striped at a hospital for ~100h in UG, had classes in diagnostics and history-taking, I sneak into Grand Rounds a lot, and read a ton of medical literature - does that count?

-Lots of clubs. founded & presided over a sports club for 2y, did 1y medical club service work, 6mo notetaking service, 2y class tutoring (some paid), 8mo ESL tutor-conversation partner, environmental science & anthropology research, just whatever caught my interest. Undisciplined, I know.

I desire an MSTP at my state school; I dream of a top-tier MD.

Where do I start (over)?

Members don't see this ad.

I also come from a state school in the boonies. However, I proved the worthiness of my gpa/accolades with a great MCAT score. Hopefully you can do the same!

Do you want MSTP or MD?

MSTP; though there's nothing stopping a regular MD from doing research. The reason I want to do it at my state school is because I already have a committee (and a project, more or less) picked out, since I've been working there awhile. I'm pretty sold on research, and I figure a PhD would help my chances of matching out of the boonies.

But if I could get into a school with really badass research, I think I could live with MD.

Yeah, MCAT is my liability...but that's all gonna change..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't freak out - you're looking pretty good so far. Study hard for the MCAT. If you really want to shoot for a top-tier undergrad, I would take several months this summer and study for it full time, then plan for a gap year and apply next June. Only take it once, and not until you're ready. It's too taxing and time-consuming to take twice.

I average 30R on practice tests (P7,V11,B12), but I feel like a 35 is within reach.

Many a person who pulled down a 30R on the real thing have said the same thing. Not sure what practice FL's you're basing this on, but I feel like a 30 +/- 2 is within reach for you, unless you apply the aforementioned hard work into it. Study hard and pull up your MCAT. If your practice scores on AAMC FL's are consistently in the 30 range, a 35 is not within reach.