Failed (BADLY) First Gen. Bio test. Freshman....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeohlife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I basically failed my first exam in college (freshman). I got a 38%......yea...
I thought I studied well, I understood most of the material....but those multiple choice questions were HARD.
I read the textbook and took notes while reading it. I used my notes as a study guide. Am I not supposed to do this in college? Is there another method I should use for college work?
I will have 3 more exams, so I REALLY want to do well.
Any study tips you guys have for studying bio?
Do you think I can still get at least an A- if I do well on my next 3 tests (plus quizzes and hw)?
I'm really upset that I'm starting off freshman year so badly....as a predental student too... T_T

Please advise me on what to do.
Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

@Glimmer91 has this awesome study strategy. Look it up on this forum!

Hey there,

Don't worry! You can get your grades under control.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there is no way to get an A- at this point. A B is doable, but you will need to ace every exam. However, that is probably not so likely since you haven't established a proper studying method.
I was in your boat my first semester of bio and was forced to get a perfect score on the final to get a B, which I did. However, I had to give up a social life and spend more time in the library. I reread the chapters 3 times, wrote notes, went to office hours etc.

My best suggestion with such a low score is to drop the class and try again next semester.

How many days did you go over your notes?

I'd probably drop the class, unless you get to drop one test.

Well, there is no way to get an A- at this point. A B is doable, but you will need to ace every exam. However, that is probably not so likely since you haven't established a proper studying method.
I was in your boat my first semester of bio and was forced to get a perfect score on the final to get a B, which I did. However, I had to give up a social life and spend more time in the library. I reread the chapters 3 times, wrote notes, went to office hours etc.

My best suggestion with such a low score is to drop the class and try again next semester.
Really? No, tough it out and the pressure will help you develop a good work ethic that will serve you well in the future. No one cares if you get a B or a B- your freshman year, schools are more interested in your progress through the years.

sigh....okay. I'll try to get at least a B....and an A in chem to balance things out.

I don't know if OP is in bad shape yet...If lab/hw/participation counts for anything (as it does in my bio course), then the weight of the exam falls to 16%. That's nothing. S/he can easily pull it up.

These things happen- don't worry about it!

It happens, I'm sure we've all gotten annihilated on at least one test. You'll be fine, just rally.

On a side note I had two pre-nursing girls in my human anatomy class cry when they got a 92 percent on the first exam........some people.

Really? No, tough it out and the pressure will help you develop a good work ethic that will serve you well in the future. No one cares if you get a B or a B- your freshman year, schools are more interested in your progress through the years.
The problem is the probability of coming back from that grade. If you can get the B by getting a 100 on the exams and possibly quizzes(if any) then don't drop. It's a massive task.

I don't know if OP is in bad shape yet...If lab/hw/participation counts for anything (as it does in my bio course), then the weight of the exam falls to 16%. That's nothing. S/he can easily pull it up.

These things happen- don't worry about it!
Usually bio lec and lab are separate classes. If it's combined then there is still hope. This issue is that he hasn't established a good studying format.

Hey there,

All of this was just passive learning. Here's the trick:

4) I convert my study guide into a list of questions and see if I can answer them. I keep practicing the ones I cannot. I also make sure to justify why all the other options are incorrect.

I hope this helps!

A lot of people forget this part. Passive learning by keep reading and reading isn't gonna make the material stick (well for some of you it will, but not everyone), so this active learning portion is very important. Otherwise, you will not retain much from reading, unless of course, you are a genius who can retain everything you hear.

Reactions: 1 users