This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctorX-men

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a cross-posted thread. I hope you don't mind, please remove if its not okay:

This is my very first time writing a thread on any online forum so please bare with me.
Just a little background, I am in my 2nd year in University and I have failed 3 of my courses. They are Statistics, a Biology class, and a History class. In addition, I'm only a 'C' student... I've always done well in High school but I fell soo much behind when I entered University. I don't know what to do anymore and I am very lost...
Should I just give up on my dreams of becoming a doctor someday?

Has anyone every failed some courses and still manage to get in? I really need someone to talk to and I just want some honest opinion. I know it'll hurt but I just want honesty.

Thank you all for taking your time to read this and I hope to hear from anyone soon.

Members don't see this ad.

People have gotten in with failed courses. I knew a guy who got caught cheating and got into med school after multiple years of volunteering work and cleaning up his act.

We need to know your numbers. uGPA, sGPA, MCAT, etc. We can't make suggestions unless we have some information.

Also think about if it's worth becoming a doctor. Look up Goro's, LizzyM's, Drmidlife's thread and you can figure out if this is what you want.

People have gotten in with failed courses. I knew a guy who got caught cheating and got into med school after multiple years of volunteering work and cleaning up his act.

We need to know your numbers. uGPA, sGPA, MCAT, etc. We can't make suggestions unless we have some information.

Also think about if it's worth becoming a doctor. Look up Goro's, LizzyM's, Drmidlife's thread and you can figure out if this is what you want.
Thank you for replying to my question, I know this is a dumb question but whats the uGPA and sGPA? I only know that my general GPA at the moment is 1.0. As for the MCAT, I haven't taken it yet so no score there but I plan on taking it next year so I will study for one year while taking my courses. And do you have the link to the other threads you mentioned? I'm pretty new here and I'm not very active on this forum so I don't know how to get around here. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
uGPA = undergraduate GPA - any course taken that is for undergraduate level meaning numbers through 0 - 499. (This is not a hard rule b.c some schools have different definition. Some places may let you take 500+ credit courses as undergraduate courses. You need to call the school / AACOM to see how they will treat this).
sGPA = or also known as BCPM = science gpa - any course that is deemed "sciency" according to the ACCOMAS (DO) and AMCAS (MD). These two bodies have different definition of what constitutes a science class. These are typically biology, chemistry, and physics classes. Look these up, because their definition of a science class may surprise you.

If your GPA is 1.0, that means you're averaging a "D" which means you are not ready for the MCAT. It means you mastered 60% of the material at any given time. Identify your weakness and conquer it first and then we can talk about the MCAT. Don't make the same mistake I did and half-ass it for your entire undergraduate career. Fixing GPA after graduation is alot of work and takes more mental toll you probably realize.

Just to put in perspective, matriculant GPA for MD (people who got in med school) are averaging somewhere between 3.6 - 3.8 with 31+ MCAT (rising every year). Matriculant GPA for DO can range widely from 3.2 to 3.7 but top tier DO programs are the ones you want to go for. PCOM-PA and NYIT-COM seems popular due to their location and ability to match well.

Unless you belong to one of the disadvantaged or underrepresented groups or have some significant pull (your parents are board members of a school that you are applying to, cured cancer, got nobel prize) you won't get in as of now.

Use the search thread, listen and respect the physicians, faculties, and admission committee members. They know far more about medicine and application process more than I.

Might be a good idea to drop out and start at a community college where there is a more nurturing and student driven environment.

Hi everyone, this is a cross-posted thread. I hope you don't mind, please remove if its not okay:

This is my very first time writing a thread on any online forum so please bare with me.
Just a little background, I am in my 2nd year in University and I have failed 3 of my courses. They are Statistics, a Biology class, and a History class. In addition, I'm only a 'C' student... I've always done well in High school but I fell soo much behind when I entered University. I don't know what to do anymore and I am very lost...
Should I just give up on my dreams of becoming a doctor someday?

Has anyone every failed some courses and still manage to get in? I really need someone to talk to and I just want some honest opinion. I know it'll hurt but I just want honesty.

Thank you all for taking your time to read this and I hope to hear from anyone soon.

Look man as a sophomore you have time to turn it around but you have dug yourself into a hole. It's NOT a death sentence but if you really want to do this you have to get serious. Average med school gpa is roughly 3.6. You're clearly not close to that.

You need to retake the biology class of it was a med school pre req. I would retake the stat class if I were you too. And from here on out you need As. In your science classes, in your non science classes.

From here on out you have very little room for error. It's not impossible, but you need to get real if this is actually your dream.

Never give up on your dreams! If you want it bad enough, you can have it. Don't listen to any of these negative keyboard warriors and take control of your life. From now on, if you really want to become a doc, make sure you wake up every morning and give it all you have. Dedicate 3 years of sacrifice for countless years of success. Being a doc is one of the most noble jobs you can have, so you want to make sure you are as smart as possible to allow for minimum mistakes. These patients are putting their life in your hands, you need to work hard so you don't screw up! You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Never give up on your dreams! If you want it bad enough, you can have it. Don't listen to any of these negative keyboard warriors and take control of your life. From now on, if you really want to become a doc, make sure you wake up every morning and give it all you have. Dedicate 3 years of sacrifice for countless years of success. Being a doc is one of the most noble jobs you can have, so you want to make sure you are as smart as possible to allow for minimum mistakes. These patients are putting their life in your hands, you need to work hard so you don't screw up! You can do it!

How were any of the other posts negative....

How were any of the other posts negative....

I don't know either. I gave an honest but constructive evaluation.

Albino, he needs to look up the community colleges. Some places are very good, some places just want people to go through AA phase. Most university has academic coaches and support network to improve school work.

None of your posts are negative! I am referring to all of the pessimists throughout SDN. I think all of you have great advice in your posts.

People have failed. People have struggled. What sets the ones who didn't get to medical school and the ones that did are determination and the will to change. Find out what you are doing wrong in your studies, and find what works best for you. You are still in this.