Failed Microbiology.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattC1420

Reaction score
What's up everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread. About a year and a half ago I was planning on going to get my ADN at a community college and I was working on knocking out my pre-req courses. I am not really sure how to word this other than I was a bit lazy in college and if I had the chance to go back in time I would. Every-day I wake up and I regret the mistakes I made in college.

Anatomy & Physiology One Grade: B Credits 3.00
Anatomy & Physiology One Lab Grade: B Credits: 1.00
Anatomy & Physiology Two Grade: B Credits: 3.00
Anatomy & Physiology Two Lab Grade: B Credits: 1.00
Micro: Grade: D Credits: 3.00
Micro Lab: Grade: D Credits: 1.00
Psychology 101: Grade: B Credits: 3.00
English 1101: Grade: B Credits: 3.00
Math 1111: Grade: B Credits: 3.00
Art Appreciation: Grade: A Credits: 3.00

As you can probably tell I was not the best college student and I just did not give it my best effort in the courses I received a B in. I am not trying to make an excuse at all for my Micro grade because I take sole responsibility for my grade. During that semester my parents ended up putting the house up for sale and my dad's dad who is my Grandpa came down with Alzheimer's. Every day I was helping my dad out with either getting the house ready for people to come and see or I was at my Grandparents house helping my Grandma and father with Grandpa. When I was not helping around the house I was at my ambulance job working 12-hour shifts on an ambulance. Well half-way through the semester I found out that the house was sold and my parents were moving to Pennsylvania. Well, I had a choice I had to make. I needed to either move with them to PA or go to paramedic school and get back on with the fire department. I chose paramedic school since it was starting up within the month.

Long story short I am still in paramedic school still wanting to go back to school. I was planning on doing my paramedic to RN bridge program but the dilemma is the majority of the schools look at all the past grades and when I retake Micro they will just average the two grades together. This still will hurt my GPA and my overall concern is future PA school. I'll never be able to get my GPA back up to 3.6-3.8 with the grade D lingering on my transcript. My question is will I never be able to pursue nursing school even after attaining a new grade or will I still have a shot. Ill be 26 when I graduate and I want to attain my BSN before I am 31. I feel lost. I wanted to do PA school but sadly due to the grade I do not believe it will be happening and I may have to choose NP school.

Members don't see this ad.

B’s aren’t bad. You are remarkably consistent in that regard, lol! I think it speaks better of you than having a bunch of bad grades across the board, that’s for sure. I look at that and see it like missing your bullseye, but hitting all of your arrows in the same dime size section of the target 3 inches over. Not great, but impressive in its own right.

Retake micro. Nobody ever essentially fails micro unless there is extenuating circumstances. Anyone looking at your transcript will see that something was off that semester, and if you retake it and get an A, you won’t really even have to address why it happened anywhere in your application. It’s within the realm of possibility to get an A in micro for you, so I’d aim for that and it won’t raise an eyebrow.

Sure, having a bunch of A’s would be preferable, but there are people with C’s always asking what their chances are, and in reality, they aren’t good. But B’s are like the great mystery grade. Do they mean the student was just bored? Or does it mean he or she is slightly struggling, or even trying really hard to keep out of C town? It’s very ambiguous. And since it’s your favorite grade and you are consistent, folks are left to their own devices to guess what’s up.

Status
Not open for further replies.