Retake-failed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I just applied this cycle to a couple of schools, 3 to be exact so not much and did not get in anywhere. Here is my problem, I had to take calc 2 which was required by my major and I failed it three times. So I ended up changing my bachelors of science to bachelors of arts and ended up finishing. I have 5 years of ER experience (Shadowing all that good stuff). However because of this one class I'm sure it's the reason I did not get in. As far as LORs go I had one from the director of the Emergency Room, Chair of Chemistry Department at my school and a A&P Professor. I was going to get one from a PA but the director was on top of the PA and he did write I worked under a PA as well. I have 4 years of volunteering as well as working in Pharmacy as a tech.

I am going to this summer complete a Environmental Public Health course which I can obtain a license to become a Environmental inspector. I am also going to start studying for the GREs to make sure to apply more abroad to schools that want to see it.

My question is with that failing grade how can I make it up? If I take it again I know I'm not going to do good unless I take it at a Community College or something. I took Calc 2 with the same professor because she was the only one who thought it. All my other science classes are good, This is the only F, I did have D's but on a retake I received a B+ to A.

I don't want to give up and I won't I really want to make sure my application is stronger for the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Also wanted to add that I did volunteer for some time helping patients re-adapt into society. Ex-Drug abusers and so forth. I did this for a total of 8 months. I held positions such as President of MSA (Muslim Student Association) and BBB (Biological Honor Society). Got some awards for it but I'm just worried about getting in since my gpa dropped a lot because of that one class.

No pa programs care about calc so that should be a non-issue. the question is, what is your gpa with 3 Fs in it?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did take the MCAT but got a low grade, a 12. So I did not mention it when I applied

Why did you not drop the calc course when you saw you would make less than a c?
There are only 2 exams, did okay on the first one like a 60 but must have done horrible on the final.

What would you guys advise I do from now to make my application look better. Retake it at a Community College?

There are only 2 exams, did okay on the first one like a 60 but must have done horrible on the final.

What would you guys advise I do from now to make my application look better. Retake it at a Community College?

Honestly I'm at a loss. I don't know how to advise you on that portion of the app. I can tell you at a bare min. you need to get your gpa to a >3.0. Email PA Programs and ask their advice and show interest.

Why did you take the MCAT? Are there any PA programs that require the MCAT for admission?
On CASPA you can choose to submit the MCAT or GRE scores. I initially wanted to pursue a MD or DO program but time and my current situation is against me. I feel PA is more for me, I wanted to do it from the beginning but people kept on convincing me do DO or MD and I stupidly followed their advice. So after taking the MCAT I realized that I should do what I want and that is PA.

I am studying for the GREs and will probably submit both scores.

On CASPA you can choose to submit the MCAT or GRE scores. I initially wanted to pursue a MD or DO program but time and my current situation is against me. I feel PA is more for me, I wanted to do it from the beginning but people kept on convincing me do DO or MD and I stupidly followed their advice. So after taking the MCAT I realized that I should do what I want and that is PA.

I am studying for the GREs and will probably submit both scores.
You should not submit your MCAT score if you don't have to. A 12 is too low IMO.

I am researching on SMP but with my gpa it might be too tough. I will apply and see where I get into to boost my gpa and show I am capable of doing the work load. I am also going to start studying for the GREs since many schools require it or prefer it.

Would anyone know the link or a list of schools with post-bachelors or SMP?

Isn't becoming a NP difficult as well?

dude, sounds like you are on a paper chase! you need to up that GPA, or at least complete a Academic Forgiveness/Reinstatement to drop the D's and F's. That will definitely raise your GPA without having to retake classes. Most CC's or colleges require a "20" unit/credit rolling good standing academic record, so you should be good.