Failed out of community college. Has my chance already ended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nashvilleLPN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the age of 18, I found myself homeless due to religious differences within my family. I bounced around frends' homes and financially supporting myself became more important than my courses. I attended three semesters at community college during this time and my grades went down each semester until I earned 0 hours the last semester.

Since then, I have started an LPN program and I am currently making all A's. I'm a youth tutor at a local middle school here in Nashville and President of the skillsusa chapter on my college campus.

However, I want to be a doctor, not a nurse. Are my chances of getting into medical school ruined because of my grades as an eighteen year old trying to support myself?

Members don't see this ad.

We Adcoms LOVE comeback stories. It's in our DNA.

Just keep on doing well and you'll be fine!

At the age of 18, I found myself homeless due to religious differences within my family. I bounced around frends' homes and financially supporting myself became more important than my courses. I attended three semesters at community college during this time and my grades went down each semester until I earned 0 hours the last semester.

Since then, I have started an LPN program and I am currently making all A's. I'm a youth tutor at a local middle school here in Nashville and President of the skillsusa chapter on my college campus.

However, I want to be a doctor, not a nurse. Are my chances of getting into medical school ruined because of my grades as an eighteen year old trying to support myself?

Reactions: 1 user
Don't make any of these mistakes while keeping up your grades from here on and out and you'll be fine... These mistakes, in no particular order are as follows:

(A) Attend a special masters program specifically geared for medical school application and fail out/obtain a GPA < B (3.0)
(B) Attend a Caribbean medical school, realize the sh*tstorm you're in and flunk out
(C) Academic dishonesty
(D) Criminal record

Looks like ANY of these mistakes will get your application thrown straight in the trash unless you were responsible for finding the cure to cancer, in which case you should be a multi-millionaire and having an awesome lifestyle rather than going through medical school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Make a difference from this point forward and nobody will question you. The only way this can affect you with real change is if at the end your GPA is under 3.

You're young and at the beginning of your college career. Try to make A's and B's in all your classes and you will be ok. When you get to your junior year, come back to the forums with an up to date gpa and you can receive further advice from there. For now, know you still have a shot and focus on your classes, being involved, and having fun in school. Best of luck.

Semesters of zero or near-zero performance might require some retakes and a strong look at DO school. There's definitely hope if you factor in retakes and keep your performance up.

^ b/c of Mad Jack's response, I say you may well be looking at pursuing DO only or primarily after you get your undergrad work done. That is if you don't get into PBPM or an SMP and do very well. I mean, without looking at what is college credit and your calc GPA, who could say? Best that can be said is that you have time to do a lot of good repair one way or another.
Shoot for MCAT % of at least 83 if you can.

You are quite young. You have great opportunity for an amazing come back if you reach for the sky in your coursework in undergrad and pre-reqs and do well on MCAT. You have lots of time to do volunteer or perhaps, in time, some research.

Wondering why you went for LPN rather than RN?

Good luck. Time is on your side. :)

If you just add medically retired from the military you pretty much have the same life as me! I was thinking of becoming an RN to save money while completing my BS since my GI bill is running out although Voc Rehab can pay for medical school it apparently depends on how the person doing your paperwork feels and is to iffy for my liking.

I hope all the best for you :D

If you just add medically retired from the military you pretty much have the same life as me! I was thinking of becoming an RN to save money while completing my BS since my GI bill is running out although Voc Rehab can pay for medical school it apparently depends on how the person doing your paperwork feels and is to iffy for my liking.

I hope all the best for you :D

voc rehab will only pay for med school if u have an SEH (serious employment handicap) and its about a 1 in 3 chance I hear.

voc rehab will only pay for med school if u have an SEH (serious employment handicap) and its about a 1 in 3 chance I hear.

Actually from my understanding the SEH part only comes into play when you are trying to extend past the 48 months that are allotted. Either way I qualify as I fall into that category. The problem I have come across with others who qualify is their counselor -feeling- that if they had a serious enough problem they don't believe med school is a viable option which makes me nervous unless I could get into Baylor. LOL

I like that it even can be used to start up a business ( I think nothing over $100,00 will be given if I read it right). This would have been awesome if I was able to get my BS while active duty and use my GI bill for med school. Life had other plans though

Yeah, there's a facebook group you should join to get all the info. Just search for "Disabled Veterans - Chapter 31 Voc Rehab". Most of the people on there are really helpful and a lot of people have been through the process already and can help with questions.

I went for LPN because with test scores I was able to bypass people on the wait list and get started immediately. RN wanted a better gpa, something I hope to remedy while in the LPN program.

^ b/c of Mad Jack's response, I say you may well be looking at pursuing DO only or primarily after you get your undergrad work done. That is if you don't get into PBPM or an SMP and do very well. I mean, without looking at what is college credit and your calc GPA, who could say? Best that can be said is that you have time to do a lot of good repair one way or another.
Shoot for MCAT % of at least 83 if you can.

You are quite young. You have great opportunity for an amazing come back if you reach for the sky in your coursework in undergrad and pre-reqs and do well on MCAT. You have lots of time to do volunteer or perhaps, in time, some research.

Wondering why you went for LPN rather than RN?

Good luck. Time is on your side. :)