Failed Physical--HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jps17kl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for the ARMY HPSP. Everything was going smooth. I was the first one to apply in my state of NJ. And the recruiter was confident that I will get the 4 year scholarship. Last month, I went to get the physical and failed it because I have wrist problems(car accident when I was young). I just received an acceptance from one of the most expensive private schools in the nation and I am wondering what I should do. I could get surgery on my wrist and reapply next year for the 3 year scholarship but my reciter told me the 3 year scholarship is very very competitive. At this point, I am planning to apply for the NHSC in April. If that does not work out either, I will be reapplying for the HPSP next year as a D-1.

My question , is the 3 year much more competitive and selective than the 4 year? Does anyone have the numbers? I heard for NHSC, 1 in every 5 that apply get the scholarship. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much...

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, if you're denied for the 4 year HPSP schlarship you're automatically put on the list for a 3 year. I don't really know if it's still the case or if it ever was. I'd hate the be the bearer of bad news but the army wants bionic humans who have absolutely nothing wrong with them if they can. Having a surgery on your wrist may completely disqualify you from ever getting selected. That is, unless you have paperwork and approval from your surgeon/doctor saying that you are 100% completely fine and it has completely healed.

It's usually not very difficult to get the Army or AF 3 yr., it may vary year to year but it seems that everyone who has applied at my school that has wanted it has gotten it.

Members don't see this ad :)
AF scholarships are very competitive. Most of the people I know that got that Army 3yr were on the OML for the 4yr.

I applied for the ARMY HPSP. Everything was going smooth. I was the first one to apply in my state of NJ. And the recruiter was confident that I will get the 4 year scholarship. Last month, I went to get the physical and failed it because I have wrist problems(car accident when I was young). I just received an acceptance from one of the most expensive private schools in the nation and I am wondering what I should do. I could get surgery on my wrist and reapply next year for the 3 year scholarship but my reciter told me the 3 year scholarship is very very competitive. At this point, I am planning to apply for the NHSC in April. If that does not work out either, I will be reapplying for the HPSP next year as a D-1.

My question , is the 3 year much more competitive and selective than the 4 year? Does anyone have the numbers? I heard for NHSC, 1 in every 5 that apply get the scholarship. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much...
There are around 30 three year scholarships each year compared to 75 or so 4 yr. The competitiveness will be based upon how many people apply and are wait listed for the 4 yrs + how many new applicants apply for the 3 yrs.

Thank you so much for all the help. I have decided to get surgery on my wrist and try to apply still this year. If that doesn't work out, I will reapply next year for the 3 year scholarship. Thanks once again