Using "fake names" in secondary essays?

Started by okjoint
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

okjoint

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been browsing some of the old threads regarding variations on this question. I wanted to clarify if it is appropriate to use a fake patient name in my secondary essays, especially if I failed to clarify that I made the first name up. If not, have I ruined my chances?

Thank you in advance.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used a real name once and just added quotations. Not enough to even get close to identifying the patient and what’s the difference to an adcom if I use a fake name or a real name which they’ll assume is fake
 
I used designations like Mr. S and Ms. E to refer to my hospice patients in a particular story for an essay. I refer to them by initials when emailing about them with their care team and my volunteer coordinator so it seemed natural
 
Put the fake name in quotes. I knew a adcom who recognized a story about her own son in an application essay. The kicker was that her son, a boy with a disability, had died very recently, but the applicant, who met the boy at a school activty, was unlikely to have known that. Had the name been changed to "Dan" or "Doug" it might have gone unnoticed.