Fall 2010 Acceptances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interested to know if anyone applied to NYU Steinhardt MPH?

i applied but i haven't heard back. based on other posts, it seems like it is going to be a while

Members don't see this ad.

I got that too. Not sure it's enough to sway me. What do you guys think?

@ Everyone who's heard about scholarships at Michigan: Are you guys all epi?

Anybody from HBHE hear anything yet? I'm concerned that my pathetic GRE quant score has disqualified me, despite a high GPA and verbal and AWA scores above the 90th percentile. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I got that UMich quarter-funding email too and I'm Epi.

The last of my decisions came in today and I thought I'd stop lurking around and share them!

Acceptances:
BU-Epi
Yale-Epi of Microbial Diseases
Emory-Epi
Berkeley-Epi of Infectious Diseases

Rejections:
UW-Epi

Waitlisted
UCLA-Applied for Epi, but moved my app to Community Health Sciences to be reviewed....taking this as a bad sign.

As of now, I am debating between Berkeley and Emory...don't really have a strong inclination to either, and they are my top 2 choices. Do any of you have any suggestions??

The last of my decisions came in today and I thought I'd stop lurking around and share them!

Acceptances:
BU-Epi
Yale-Epi of Microbial Diseases
Emory-Epi
Berkeley-Epi of Infectious Diseases

Rejections:
UW-Epi

Waitlisted
UCLA-Applied for Epi, but moved my app to Community Health Sciences to be reviewed....taking this as a bad sign.

As of now, I am debating between Berkeley and Emory...don't really have a strong inclination to either, and they are my top 2 choices. Do any of you have any suggestions??

Congrats on all of your great options! Did you hear from UCLA today? Are you from California? Emory is only 3k more a year than the UC's not incl. the expense of moving if that's something you'll be considering.

Congrats on all of your great options! Did you hear from UCLA today? Are you from California? Emory is only 3k more a year than the UC's not incl. the expense of moving if that's something you'll be considering.

Yess, I am from California! So would it still be 3k more even if i paid the in-state tuition? The debate is cost vs. program. UCB winning in the former Emory winning in the later. We shall see though....

Also, I got an email from UCLA admissions on Friday saying that the Epi dept feels im a better fit for Community Health Sciences...and that theyre forwarding my app to that department. Official decisions weren't out last time I checked...I just categorized that as waitlist, but it really isnt :)

Yess, I am from California! So would it still be 3k more even if i paid the in-state tuition? The debate is cost vs. program. UCB winning in the former Emory winning in the later. We shall see though....

Also, I got an email from UCLA admissions on Friday saying that the Epi dept feels im a better fit for Community Health Sciences...and that theyre forwarding my app to that department. Official decisions weren't out last time I checked...I just categorized that as waitlist, but it really isnt :)

I thought it was like 8000 a semester at Cal but like 12000 a semester at Emory

Here are Cal's numbers: http://sph.berkeley.edu/students/admissions/fees.php

It is significantly less but if you're already from CA (like me) I was thinking of getting out of here for two years.

Incidentally do you know if we lose CA residency status (I'm interested in applying to med school after my MPH) if we go to a MPH program out of state?

sounds like the same lady. she was very short and mean. She cut the conversation short very quickly :/

that kind of nonsense really reflects poorly on a program. in your mind you know it shouldn't, but it does and that lady should be let go. at least if i was running things.

that kind of nonsense really reflects poorly on a program. in your mind you know it shouldn't, but it does and that lady should be let go. at least if i was running things.

Yeah I think she was/is probably just really stressed...the number I called was for the entire Steinhardt school, not just for their MPH program so she's probably been getting lots of annoying phone calls. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. I'd probably be irritated too, although that's never an excuse to be rude to people.

got the shock of a lifetime today. Got home and was handed an envelope from UNC. Made me nervous because it was a small envelope but once i picked it up I could tell there was more than one piece of paper in it. They dont need more than one piece of paper to tell you no!

Accepted: UNC!!!!!! & tulane

Waitlisted: Emory

Waiting: UMich & Yale

Mailing my UNC deposit this week :)

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! This has been such a great board for info so far!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on all your acceptances LaDescarga - those are really great schools! I haven't heard anything from UCLA (I applied for Epi too), but I have seen that many people around this forum have gotten an email saying that their application has been forwarded to a department entirely different from the one they've applied to. It's really strange - was your undergrad major heavy on the social sciences? I ask because I was an anthropology major, and I applied for Epi, although my undergrad education is peppered with lots of science/math courses. Maybe they like to throw the "social science" people into CHS. Who knows what motivates adcoms!

Has anyone heard from the Berkeley MCH, UCLA CHS, or Harvard SHDH programs?

I've been accepted by GW and UIC (both MCH) and rejected by Yale (SBS).

I got a rejection from Berkeley MCH last thursday. So if you haven't heard yet that could be a good thing.

I was accepted into UIC's MCH program. (And I didn't apply to any of the others on your list) If you end up leaning in a UIC direction- I'd love to hear your thoughts. And good luck on your other schools.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from the Berkeley MCH, UCLA CHS, or Harvard SHDH programs?

I've been accepted by GW and UIC (both MCH) and rejected by Yale (SBS).

Yes for UCLA CHS...didn't apply to the other 2.

I thought it was like 8000 a semester at Cal but like 12000 a semester at Emory

Here are Cal's numbers: http://sph.berkeley.edu/students/admissions/fees.php

It is significantly less but if you're already from CA (like me) I was thinking of getting out of here for two years.

Incidentally do you know if we lose CA residency status (I'm interested in applying to med school after my MPH) if we go to a MPH program out of state?

I actually am having the same issue/fears about CA residency for Berkeley SPH because I was out of state for college and am currently working in NYC. However, I've done some prelim research and it seems that you "may" be exempt from paying out of state residency tuition as long as you graduate from a CA high school. Hopefully it works. I'll let you know of any update once I contact the registrar. Here's a link to the direct information: http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Default.aspx?PageID=legalinfo.html

I actually am having the same issue/fears about CA residency for Berkeley SPH because I was out of state for college and am currently working in NYC. However, I've done some prelim research and it seems that you "may" be exempt from paying out of state residency tuition as long as you graduate from a CA high school. Hopefully it works. I'll let you know of any update once I contact the registrar. Here's a link to the direct information: http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Default.aspx?PageID=legalinfo.html

I think it depends on a number of things that may sway your residency. If you still possess a valid California drivers license, still have your car registered in California (up to date plate tags), and you have never changed your voter registration (ie. you absentee vote into California), you may still be considered a California resident.

got the shock of a lifetime today. Got home and was handed an envelope from UNC. Made me nervous because it was a small envelope but once i picked it up I could tell there was more than one piece of paper in it. They dont need more than one piece of paper to tell you no!

Accepted: UNC!!!!!! & tulane

Waitlisted: Emory

Waiting: UMich & Yale

Mailing my UNC deposit this week :)

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! This has been such a great board for info so far!

Congrats on UNC!!! (I assume that was your top choice since you're mailing in the deposit). I'm still waiting to hear back from the HBHE dept. I visited there before applying so if you're not from the area (i.e. unable to visit before you go in the fall) and have any questions about the campus/etc., let me know!

Please help !!!!!
I got an admission letter from IUPUI and have to reply them by March 10. But I have my interviews pending with UMich, UIC and UMinn. What do I need to do ? I want to be safe as I may get rejected by other schools ...God Forbid ..
Any advises...experts please help..

congrats on UNC, I just got my acceptance to the HBHE department today too!!!! SO EXCITED! Didn't check the mail till 12am... then was late to work today because of the celebrating!

Please help !!!!!
I got an admission letter from IUPUI and have to reply them by March 10. But I have my interviews pending with UMich, UIC and UMinn. What do I need to do ? I want to be safe as I may get rejected by other schools ...God Forbid ..

Can you ask them for an extension?

Acceptances:
Dartmouth
UW (Public Health Genetics) - No word on funding yet
USC (MPP, not MPH) - Dean's Merit Scholarship
BU - (Health, Law, & Ethics) - $10K scholarship

Pending: NYU (MPA in health policy), Pitt (public health genetics)

I have got an acceptance from USC (MPP, not MPH) with Dean's Merit Scholarship too.
Snake Doctor can you please tell me how is the overall rating of the USC MPP program (Health Administration concentration) ?

Pending : UCLA , Berekely

Hey! Just go a phone call from Tufts saying I got into the MPH part of an MPH/MS Nutrition dual program. Waiting to hear on the M.S. part of things but that's exciting!

Apparently they didnt have my SSN for some odd reason, so thats why they called! Maybe time to check the status online if anyone else is waiting!

Please help !!!!!

Call the admissions office and ask for a deadline extension. I've never been told that an extension couldn't be granted.

Congrats on all your acceptances LaDescarga - those are really great schools! I haven't heard anything from UCLA (I applied for Epi too), but I have seen that many people around this forum have gotten an email saying that their application has been forwarded to a department entirely different from the one they've applied to. It's really strange - was your undergrad major heavy on the social sciences? I ask because I was an anthropology major, and I applied for Epi, although my undergrad education is peppered with lots of science/math courses. Maybe they like to throw the "social science" people into CHS. Who knows what motivates adcoms!

Hi,

My major is Health Promotion and most of my research experiences/internships were community-based and with underserved minority communities. So I'm guessing they tossed me over in the CHS group because of that. It's so silly though...don't they realize some of us go to grad school to explore new things? My whole statement was about how I want to expand out of that and why I want to do epi. Maybe they didn't even read it...

Hey! Just go a phone call from Tufts saying I got into the MPH part of an MPH/MS Nutrition dual program. Waiting to hear on the M.S. part of things but that's exciting!

Apparently they didnt have my SSN for some odd reason, so thats why they called! Maybe time to check the status online if anyone else is waiting!

Congrats!!! :)
I've applied to Ph.D program in Nutrition (not MPH program), but haven't heard anything back yet from Tufts. How can I check the status on website?

Hi,

My major is Health Promotion and most of my research experiences/internships were community-based and with underserved minority communities. So I'm guessing they tossed me over in the CHS group because of that. It's so silly though...don't they realize some of us go to grad school to explore new things? My whole statement was about how I want to expand out of that and why I want to do epi. Maybe they didn't even read it...

I'm sure they read your statement, especially if they've kicked you over to CHS! But I'm not really sure how "holistic" UCLA is... which is kind of silly since epi is not even a hard science! I think I'm in a similar boat, but my major had nothing to do with science. Although my experiences are also community-based... but that doesn't mean anything, because an epidemiologist can do community-based participatory research. Good luck! :xf:

I got my acceptance letter (for epi) last week and I applied in December. I hope this helps with your time line!

how long did it take for you to get your letter after you found out online? i found out on 2/22 and they haven't sent me anything via mail even though they said they would...and i just want to get more information so i can make a decision!

how long did it take for you to get your letter after you found out online? i found out on 2/22 and they haven't sent me anything via mail even though they said they would...and i just want to get more information so i can make a decision!

Sorry for misleading you, by letter I meant the online letter. I haven't gotten anything in the mail either. If I get one ill let you know. I wish I had more information too. I'm guessing you also haven't gotten the email with more information about the visit days. I wish they would send that so I could make the plans. What are your other options? I'm trying to decide between emory, columbia, gw, and michigan.

Congrats!!! :)
I've applied to Ph.D program in Nutrition (not MPH program), but haven't heard anything back yet from Tufts. How can I check the status on website?

After I submitted my app they had sent me my login info for their website:
https://grad.admissions.tufts.edu/APP/login.aspx

if you have your login info it'll give you your application credentials and their decision once it's ready.

I only heard from Tufts school of medicine, still waiting to hear from Friedman.

I got a letter (email) of rejection from Yale today, from their epi department (I actually didn't apply to epi), a few minutes after I put my check in the mail for Hopkins. All's well that ends well!

Acceptances:
Hopkins
Columbia
Emory

Rejections:
Yale

Waiting:
BU

I received an acceptance from Columbia today for the General Public Health 1-year MPH program. All Columbia hopefuls - check your emails!

Accepted: Columbia - GPH; UNC-Chapel Hill - MCH

Rejected: none

Waiting: Harvard, Hopkins

For all those waiting on NYU Steinhardt, I just called again and spoke to the advisor for the program (who was so nice, btw, MUCH nicer than the lady in the Steinhardt office). She said that decisions will be sent within a couple of weeks but she didn't know if it would be by email or regular mail because it is done through the graduate admissions office.

Hope that helps.

Ha. Wait-listed at BU. Weird, since I thought my chances were better there than at the other schools I was accepted to. But I honestly wasn't really considering BU at this point.

Accepted:

Michigan
Columbia
UIC

Wait-listed:
BU

Rejected:
None

What program at BU? MCH? I am visiting UIC- CHS this weekend hopefully ill have great things to report!

Nope, Social and Behavioral Sciences. Let me know how UIC goes! I should really plan a visit there, too, seeing as I live in Chicago.

Hopkins finally replied today...got in..phew..now I need to know what to do..hmmmmm

just received a letter from my top choice, the Colorado School of Public Health at UC Denver, that i was accepted into the MPH Applied Biostatistics program there. from what i've read, there doesn't appear to be too many of you guys applying to this school, unfortunately

good luck to you all and hope the source of all your anxiety will be soon over

Ha. Wait-listed at BU. Weird, since I thought my chances were better there than at the other schools I was accepted to. But I honestly wasn't really considering BU at this point.

Accepted:

Michigan
Columbia
UIC

Wait-listed:
BU

Rejected:
None

This reminds me of a friend who was accepted to MIT but was rejected by Ohio State. Maybe Michigan/Columbia/UIC loved your profile while BU found something they didn't like. You can't win all of them, I guess.

I have got an acceptance from USC (MPP, not MPH) with Dean's Merit Scholarship too.
Snake Doctor can you please tell me how is the overall rating of the USC MPP program (Health Administration concentration) ?

Pending : UCLA , Berekely

I think you meant USC's MHA??? Not too familiar with USC's MHA. Give me a year, and I can get back to you once I'm @ 'SC. The MHA is more gearded towards managing a hospital whereas the MPP with a health policy concentration is geared towards policy work. With that said, I believe you can become a hospital exec with a MPP. It's all a matter of your experiences, performance, and network. Sorry I can't provide you more info. regarding the MHA. If I recall correctly, there are info. sessions for the MHA program in Fall and Spring semesters at both the Los Angeles and Sacramento location (convenient if you're located in NorCal).

So glad to be done waiting for all my decision letters! I heard from my last school, UW today! :)

Accepted:
Michigan, mha
Columbia, mph with management track
Emory, mph with management track
Washington, mha
Tulane, mha

Rejected:
UNC
Yale

just received a letter from my top choice, the Colorado School of Public Health at UC Denver, that i was accepted into the MPH Applied Biostatistics program there. from what i've read, there doesn't appear to be too many of you guys applying to this school, unfortunately

good luck to you all and hope the source of all your anxiety will be soon over

Hi qkchen,

I am waiting to hear about UC Denver too. People do not talk about the school much, and I imagine its cause it is so new?

I was wondering what was going in to you decision to go there? It is one of my top choices and I just am interested in yours and others thoughts.

Thanks!

So glad to be done waiting for all my decision letters! I heard from my last school, UW today! :)

Do you mind sharing how you heard back for the MHA program? I've been waiting also...

Do you mind sharing how you heard back for the MHA program? I've been waiting also...

Sure! They called me that I was accepted. I think the acceptance letter is mailed later.