Fall 2010 Acceptances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You interviewed for the MPH for HBHE? Or did you apply to their PhD?

Wouldn't be PhD, 80-100 spots for PhD seems far too many.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I know, however, I believe UNC has a MSPH/PHD track for HBHE. So 80-100 spots for the MPH makes sense, but an interview to be considered for the PhD would make sense too.

Also, they could have been interviewing for a PhD only and may have gotten wind of what's up for the MPH?? Just clarification would be great lol.

Anyone (who submitted an app before Jan 5) still not heard from Columbia?

More specifically, any news from Columbia's Urbanism and Built Environment Track? Sitting here, waiting, wishing...
Also waiting to hear back from Urbanism and Built Environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually those numbers are about right. Last year they admitted 133 and 49 enrolled. Since it is a PhD only program (no terminal masters students) the school admits more PhD students than most programs.

You can see the stats here: http://www.sph.unc.edu/prospective_students/admissions_statistics_8508_9014.html
HBHE isn't PhD only. They def. have master's students. Go to the doctoral student FAQs and they say they only enroll about 8. However, don't know about the MSPH/PhD track. Haven't looked lol. The numbers you quoted are for Masters.

Just got into Harvard! For the SM (80 credit) in Epidemiology with a concetration in neuro-psychiatric epi!

Was not expecting any emails on a saturday

Just got into Harvard! For the SM (80 credit) in Epidemiology with a concetration in neuro-psychiatric epi!

That is awesome - congrats! I'm also waiting on Harvard for Epi. When I saw this post, I don't think I ever logged into my email so furiously. :) Alas, nothing. Oh well.

Would you mind posting your stats?

Yeah Harvard, way to throw us off guard and send us an email on the weekend!

I got very confusing emails from them this morning- the first one told I got in for an MS in environmental health with a focus on reproductive Epi... and then 10 minutes later they told me to ignore the first one and that I got in for MS through the Epi department.

Very confusing- I'll have to call them on Monday.

But VERY EXCITED!

Congrats to those who have heard! And Good luck to those still waiting!

ahhhh this is the program/concentration I'm waiting to hear from! CONGRATS to you! I'm officially freaking out, haha... email on a saturday? this is getting intense.

Just got accepted into Harvard's SM in Environmental Health! I am SOO excited and extremely surprised to hear from them on a Saturday! Good luck to all others who are waiting- I hope you receive good news too!

Just got into the MPH at Harvard. At least one round of emails just went out within the hour.

Just to clarify, it was an interview initiated by me for the MPH HBHE program and I paid to go down there and speak with a few professors. The department didn't get in touch with me about an interview, anyone could have contacted the department and arranged what I arranged.

They do admit more students than they expect to actually enroll, I was told that the final cohort per year is usually around 80 students but that this year there was so many applicants they were thinking about increasing that number.

Well, finally heard from everywhere after the Harvard emails today, and I was lucky this year.

Stats:
3.76 GPA/Ivy League Undergrad
GRE: 620V/800Q/6.0 W
2 years with Teach For America

Accepted:
Harvard MS SHDH
UNC MSPH/PhD HBHE
Emory, BU and Michigan

Really only debating between Harvard and UNC. Leaning towards UNC because it's the PhD, but would definitely appreciate any input. Definitely a tough (but good) choice.

Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, finally heard from everywhere after the Harvard emails today, and I was lucky this year.

Stats:

Accepted:
Harvard MS SHDH
UNC MSPH/PhD HBHE
Emory, BU and Michigan

Really only debating between Harvard and UNC. Leaning towards UNC because it's the PhD, but would definitely appreciate any input. Definitely a tough (but good) choice.

Good luck all!
Congrats cihp!! I think I mentioned before that I would have been so shocked had you not gotten into your schools lol.

Man I really with Harvard and Hopkins didn't have the excluding criteria for people seeking an MPH. I know an MPH is the degree I want so the fact that one wants you working on an advanced degree while the other wants 2 years work experience is a bummer.

Se la vi though.

Thanks Curious, that's so nice of you!! :)

That is awesome - congrats! I'm also waiting on Harvard for Epi. When I saw this post, I don't think I ever logged into my email so furiously. :) Alas, nothing. Oh well.

Would you mind posting your stats?

Good luck to everyone waiting for Harvard! Congrats to those who heard back today too!

my stats: GPA 3.68 Ivy undergrad (there seem to be a lot of us)
GRE 800V 750Q 5.0W
health related research, currently a Peace Corps volunteer

I was rejected from UW-epi, accepted at Berkeley (HSB) and UW-Health Services. And to think that this time last week I was wondering if I'd get in anywhere!

Yeah Harvard, way to throw us off guard and send us an email on the weekend!

I got very confusing emails from them this morning- the first one told I got in for an MS in environmental health with a focus on reproductive Epi... and then 10 minutes later they told me to ignore the first one and that I got in for MS through the Epi department.

Very confusing- I'll have to call them on Monday.

But VERY EXCITED!

Congrats to those who have heard! And Good luck to those still waiting!

Same thing happened to me. I even checked to see if EH had an neuro-psych epi concentration...but they meant Epi.

Same thing happened to me. I even checked to see if EH had an neuro-psych epi concentration...but they meant Epi.

Haha- I'm glad I'm not the only one! It was very strange.

Also did you notice that they forgot to BCC the email they sent telling us to check our email for an decision? So, basically I have the email address of EVERYONE they sent an email to today.

Someone at Harvard is going to be in trouble on Monday.

I applied to all Health Management (& Policy) programs.

Accepted:
Pitt
Columbia
UNC
Cornell
Yale

Interviewed:
JHU
Michigan

Waiting:
Berkeley, USC

I should hear back from the rest of the schools by 3/15. No finaid letters yet. Torn between UNC & Michigan (hoping for acceptance). Thoughts?

Stats:

Accepted:
Harvard MS SHDH
UNC MSPH/PhD HBHE
Emory, BU and Michigan

Good luck all!

congrats! i haven't heard from Harvard yet and i applied to the same program. So, I am guessing I got a no which is expected.

Two more decisions came in - Tulane and UPitt! All the programs I've applied to are for Microbiology/Infectious Diseases.

My count...

Accepted
GWU
Berkeley
Tulane
Pitt

Waiting
SUNY Albany
Hopkins

Good luck to everyone else!

Got a letter in the mail today, I didn't get in at UNC. Thankfully I have other offers, but still would have been nice.

Good luck to the rest of you though, here's hoping you get good news soon!

Got a letter in the mail today, I didn't get in at UNC. Thankfully I have other offers, but still would have been nice.

I'm really crushed to hear that. Not even b/c of your stats but you've said that it was your top choice and if it's your first rejection it sucks regardless of the program. Chin up, I hope you hear some good news later.

When did you apply? You could always ask what was lacking in your application to them? I think UNC's HBHE really focuses on fit over numbers at times. Like you could have avg. stats but if you have that certain exp. that they want, they eat it up. They also like when you apply early, however Deem said he applied early too and still hasn't heard =/. They mention this info in their FAQs that I saw when looking over schools to apply to.

Rejected- Harvard. This is painful.
Accepted: columbia, emory, michigan, tulane, texas.
Rejected: harvard, minnesota.
Waiting: yale (advanced prof.), BU, Pitts.

Harvard was my top choice considering a lot of things.

I hope it all turns out to be for the good...i'm trying to make myself believe that. :(

Last edited:
Accepted: UMich (MHSA), UNC (MHA), Harvard (SM, Society, Development, etcetera), Alabama (MPH in Health Management)

Interviewed: Minnesota (MHA)

Waiting: Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences, Urbanism & Built Environment, NYU (MPA, Health Management)

I'm really crushed to hear that. Not even b/c of your stats but you've said that it was your top choice and if it's your first rejection it sucks regardless of the program. Chin up, I hope you hear some good news later.

When did you apply? You could always ask what was lacking in your application to them? I think UNC's HBHE really focuses on fit over numbers at times. Like you could have avg. stats but if you have that certain exp. that they want, they eat it up. They also like when you apply early, however Deem said he applied early too and still hasn't heard =/. They mention this info in their FAQs that I saw when looking over schools to apply to.

Thanks, I really appreciate your support - it's been a bit of a mopey day as you may imagine.

This was indeed my first rejection, so quite the double-whammy to have it come from my top program. I applied early as well (mid-December), and it's actually a perfect fit because what I want to do was inspired in large part by a prof there and research she is still conducting. I think you hit it right on the nose, though - I wonder if it's because I don't have the experience they were looking for.

You have a great point, I'll ask them later on, when it's a bit quieter in the dept., about what areas I can improve. If I decide to pursue a PhD later, UNC would still be my top choice, so it would definitely be helpful to understand their viewpoint better. I live to fight another day....though today I nurse my wounds with chocolate cake :)

Actually those numbers are about right. Last year they admitted 133 and 49 enrolled. Since it is a PhD only program (no terminal masters students) the school admits more PhD students than most programs.

You can see the stats here: http://www.sph.unc.edu/prospective_students/admissions_statistics_8508_9014.html

HBHE isn't PhD only. They def. have master's students. Go to the doctoral student FAQs and they say they only enroll about 8. However, don't know about the MSPH/PhD track. Haven't looked lol. The numbers you quoted are for Masters.

Tell me if this interpretation of those papers might be possible: it looks like to me that those numbers 133/49 is for the entire HBHE track, which includes the option of MPH, PhD, MSPH->PhD. Tell me if this assumption is correct? Having a 49 out of 133 enroll for a PhD seems very low (it usually ends up being much closer to 2 out of 3/3 out of 5 for PhD admits/enroll). But 49 out of 133 enrolling for a master's level program (which is likely most of the 133 admits) is much more plausible.

Even though UNC has a lot of doctoral students (this is especially true of their epi department), no school cannot afford to take more MPH students because of their financial contribution (yes, I'm referring to tuition) and excess PhD students due to their expense (giving them tuition and stipend/living expense coverage).

EDIT: Either way, congrats to everyone so far in this thread! You all should be proud of the great universities you all are being accepted to :)

Congratulations to all with acceptances. I got through MHS International health at Hopkins and MPH Epi at Emory. Others were Tulane , Boston, pitt, USF, GWU. Got rejected at Harvard, minnesota, U albany. Now its Hopkins vs Emory and MHS vs MPH. Anyone who could help me with these questions..
1) Is the MHS as recognised as the MPH degree.
2) Is the MHS at hopkins a better choice than MPH at Emory.
Please Help...

I received an email about my acceptance at Harvard. I am really excited and is in no two thoughts about which school to attend!!!

Whoohooo...............Harvard I am coming!!!

Good luck to all!!!!!

Congratulations to all with acceptances. I got through MHS International health at Hopkins and MPH Epi at Emory. Others were Tulane , Boston, pitt, USF, GWU. Got rejected at Harvard, minnesota, U albany. Now its Hopkins vs Emory and MHS vs MPH. Anyone who could help me with these questions..
1) Is the MHS as recognised as the MPH degree.
2) Is the MHS at hopkins a better choice than MPH at Emory.
Please Help...

I think it depends on your goals.

r u guys hearing rejections from harvard by mail or email? Anyone hear about MS in health policy?

Also has anyone been accepted into the health policy program at Berkeley?

Sorry to hear that man.

Still no word for me. Maybe I should check my mail tomorrow.

r u guys hearing rejections from harvard by mail or email? Anyone hear about MS in health policy?

I received my rejection from Harvard by snailmail. :( I know I don't have superb stats but it didn't hurt much to try my luck there.

Applied: MS Biostats
Accepted: BU and UNC
Rejected: Harvard
Still waiting: Johns Hopkins and UPitt

Stats:
3.95 GPA/community college for the first two years of undergrad (received an ASN)/currently Biology major Math minor at a relatively small university
GRE: 570V/800Q/3.5W
1 year working as a cardiothoracic step-down unit nurse

Btw, congrats to all of you with acceptances and I wish you goodluck to those who are still waiting.

I got my first decision today and it was an acceptance to the MPH program at Hopkins! I am thrilled!

I am still waiting to hear from HBHE at UNC, as well as MPH programs at GWU, UMD and BU.

Awarded scholarship for Michigan MPH Epi
"a tuition assistance scholarship in the amount of Out of State Quarter tuition to be applied each term for the 2010-2011 academic year (an academic year includes Fall and Winter terms only). A similar scholarship will be awarded during your second year of study"

Does anyone know about how much this is or get the same scholarship?

Hi everyone,

I've been obsessively reading the forums for far too long and I'm so excited to post today! What can we expect with UCLA? I live in LA and really don't want to move back to my alma mater in ATL though I do love it there. I know there have been a handful of acceptances but it doesn't seem like the bulk of UCLA's decisions are out at all, right? Does anyone know what to expect?

Stats:
3.3 GPA from Emory
4 years work experience at USAID and national health org.
published in health policy paper

Accepted: Emory-BSHE
Waiting: UC-Irvine, UCLA, Harvard

Hi everyone,

I've been obsessively reading the forums for far too long and I'm so excited to post today! What can we expect with UCLA? I live in LA and really don't want to move back to my alma mater in ATL though I do love it there. I know there have been a handful of acceptances but it doesn't seem like the bulk of UCLA's decisions are out at all, right? Does anyone know what to expect?

Stats:
3.3 GPA from Emory
4 years work experience at USAID and national health org.
published in health policy paper

Accepted: Emory-BSHE
Waiting: UC-Irvine, UCLA, Harvard

I'm still waiting for UCLA too. They said that they would notify us in February regarding the status of our transcripts, but it's March 1 today, and I still haven't heard anything. :confused:

Did anyone who applied to JHU's HPM MHS after Jan 1, 2010 hear back yet?

Thanks!

For those who applied to NYU, I just called and they said that it takes 6-8 weeks from the time that they received the application.

Anyone else hear from the SMS program at Columbia yet?

Extremely fortunate to be accepted to Yale today but relinquished my spot via email already because I don't see myself going there anymore.
So there's at least one person coming off the wait list hopefully asap. Good luck to everyone

For those who applied to NYU, I just called and they said that it takes 6-8 weeks from the time that they received the application.

Anyone else hear from the SMS program at Columbia yet?

Weird, NYU told me 12 weeks. I submitted the application in mid December and haven't heard a single peep yet. :(

Also, people have heard from Columbia's SMS dept if you look back a couple of pages.

3 fat envelopes in the mail, 1 "fat" email

accepted: UIC, BU w/$12,000 merit, Yale, Tulane, Emory, Columbia
rejected: LSHTM (needed 2 yrs exp in developing co. only had 6 mo)
waiting (though it no longer matters): 2nd choice LSHTM

my happiness is matched by my indecisiveness.

Weird, NYU told me 12 weeks. I submitted the application in mid December and haven't heard a single peep yet. :(

Also, people have heard from Columbia's SMS dept if you look back a couple of pages.

hmmm, and i just called too. thats odd. i really hope that its not 12 weeks....I did see some Columbia acceptances. None for the Urbanism track (i dont think) Was wondering if any1 from that specific track heard of anything.

hmmm, and i just called too. thats odd. i really hope that its not 12 weeks....I did see some Columbia acceptances. None for the Urbanism track (i dont think) Was wondering if any1 from that specific track heard of anything.

The conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi, I was just wondering when decisions would be ready for the MPH?"
NYU: "Twelve weeks from when we receive your application."
*click*

They actually hung up on me! So I don't know how reliable the info was anyway; she sounded pretty irritated.

I think Columbia should be done with all the tracks within the next two weeks.

The conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi, I was just wondering when decisions would be ready for the MPH?"
NYU: "Twelve weeks from when we receive your application."
*click*

They actually hung up on me! So I don't know how reliable the info was anyway; she sounded pretty irritated.

I think Columbia should be done with all the tracks within the next two weeks.

sounds like the same lady. she was very short and mean. She cut the conversation short very quickly :/

Anyone (who submitted an app before Jan 5) still not heard from Columbia?

More specifically, any news from Columbia's Urbanism and Built Environment Track? Sitting here, waiting, wishing...

I applied to that track as well and still haven't heard. This waiting game is making me anxious!

Awarded scholarship for Michigan MPH Epi
"a tuition assistance scholarship in the amount of Out of State Quarter tuition to be applied each term for the 2010-2011 academic year (an academic year includes Fall and Winter terms only). A similar scholarship will be awarded during your second year of study"

Does anyone know about how much this is or get the same scholarship?
I got that same email today. I'm assuming it pays for one-fourth of the tuition (so about $13500 per semester instead of $18k).

ETA: It said in the email that we need to marticulate ASAP to make sure we don't lose the scholarship...how soon is ASAP?