Fall 2010 Acceptances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are a lot of people still waiting to hear from Yale?

Members don't see this ad.

are a lot of people still waiting to hear from Yale?

I know many of us at Yale have already been given contact information to accepted students to start communicating with them and answer questions for them. I'm not sure which departments haven't done this yet, though.

Even if you haven't heard from Yale either way, it could mean that you're just in a second round of application reviews (or an unannounced "waitlist" or some sort).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just went to Cal's admit day and that reopened my mind again. Top three are Columbia, Emory and Cal...outcomes still depend on my visits. any one have any insight?

Congrats on your great acceptances! Could you talk a bit more about your experience at Cal's admit day? I'm very interested in them, but leaning towards another school, that's why I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Does anyone know what the class schedule at Columbia for the MPH full time program is like? Is it generally 5 days a week of classes?

It would all depend on what classes you take and how you schedule them.

Dear grad school,

Hey? How’s it goin? I haven’t heard from you in a while... Last time we talked you were lookin’… well you were lookin’ pretty good. Ok really good! Look, I was hoping we could touch base sometime soon, ya know? Maybe catch up on things – how are those admissions going? I hear you’ve already accepted a lot of people! That’s…that’s just great. And I’ve seen that you’ve also rejected some people. Well that’s ok, it doesn’t work out all the time.

Anyways – it'd be great if we could do some catching up, you know? See where we're at, maybe patch things up? I've been waiting to hear back from you.

Well, hopefully we'll see each other soon,
MPHNut

Accepted:
Michigan (MHSA)
Cornell (MHA)
UNC (MHA)
The Ohio State (MHA)

Rejected:
Yale

Waiting:
Johns Hopkins (MHS in Health Policy) I am pretty sure that I am getting into Hopkins because when I interviewed over the phone last week I asked when I would be hearing something back about admission they said “in a week or so, but you don’t have anything to worry about.”

I am 99.9% sure that I am going to end up at UNC, I am just having a hard time finalizing it.

Congrats on all your acceptances! Can I ask when you were notified of your UCLA Epi acceptance? Thanks!

I found out about UCLA yesterday afternoon and my official letter was up last night at 11:59pm. As for Cal admit day I'll elaborate more on the Cal Admit Day thread later today!

i think some people have heard from berkeley. but i havent heard a peep. has anyone else heard from them?

i think some people have heard from berkeley. but i havent heard a peep. has anyone else heard from them?

I'm still waiting on them. They're my last one!!

Epi/Biostat MPH

They said they would let us know by March 15 at the latest, but it is kind of a bummer since we have missed their visit day etc.

Hi everyone. Good news for me today. :)

Accepted: Harvard MPH (Clinical Effectiveness)
Rejected: None
Waiting: None

Accepted:
Michigan (MHSA)
Cornell (MHA)
UNC (MHA)
The Ohio State (MHA)

Rejected:
Yale

Waiting:
Johns Hopkins (MHS in Health Policy) I am pretty sure that I am getting into Hopkins because when I interviewed over the phone last week I asked when I would be hearing something back about admission they said “in a week or so, but you don’t have anything to worry about.”

I am 99.9% sure that I am going to end up at UNC, I am just having a hard time finalizing it.

Does Hopkins interview all of its MHS candidates? If not...how do they pick and choose?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Hopkins interview all of its MHS candidates? If not...how do they pick and choose?

Thanks!

I have no idea. I do not think that they interview everyone. The person I talked with said she just wanted to ask me a few questions about what I wanted to do with the MHS in Public Policy. It really was not like an interview at all but more like her selling the program (and Baltimore) to me. The program requires a year of class work and then a fellowship with an organization and she talked at length about a fellowship they are in the procress of establishing and how I would be a good candidate for that spot.

Undergrad Tier + Major: Tier 1, B.A. in Zoology
GRE (V)(A)(AWA) : 660 Quant., 540 Verbal, 4.5
GPA: 3.4
Other Relevant info (experience, etc.): not really anything relevant to public health outside of school. Took relevant courses such as Epidemiology, Global Health Care Systems, Med. Soc, etc.

Acceptances (Funding): Drexel, Ohio State, Boston U., University of Michigan, University of Illinois-Chicago
Rejections: UNC-Chapel Hill
Waitlist: n/a
Still Waiting: n/a

So far nothing has significant scholarships (like boston). Still awaiting scholarship notification from Michigan and searching for funding options.

I just got accepted to Columbia, SMS Urbanism and the Built Environment track. I got my acceptance way later than everyone else, so stay encouraged if you haven't heard.

Q: 720
V: 660
Writing: 4.5
Undergrad gpa: 3.7

Experience: Worked as a journalist covering public health topics for 8 years. I was concerned this wouldn't count, but apparently it worked.

I just got accepted to Columbia, SMS Urbanism and the Built Environment track. I got my acceptance way later than everyone else, so stay encouraged if you haven't heard.

Q: 720
V: 660
Writing: 4.5
Undergrad gpa: 3.7

Experience: Worked as a journalist covering public health topics for 8 years. I was concerned this wouldn't count, but apparently it worked.

Congrats! I think you are the first person that I have seen that has heard back from the Urbanish and the Built Environment Track so far. Did they email you? Anyone else get news today?

Just heard back from Population and Family Health at Columbia. Waitlisted. Very bummed, as it is my first choice. Anyone heard anything about waitlist experience there? Maybe something like, "I heard 100% of people on the waitlist get in"? That would be pretty great.

Accepted today to UCLA for Epidemiology :thumbup:

Accepted:
Yale, UIC, BU, GWU, PITT, Emory, UCLA

Waiting:
Berkeley

Congrats to everyone for some great acceptances!

Just heard back from Population and Family Health at Columbia. Waitlisted. Very bummed, as it is my first choice. Anyone heard anything about waitlist experience there? Maybe something like, "I heard 100% of people on the waitlist get in"? That would be pretty great.

Was this through the SMS Dept?

8K from Yale in a grant and a bunch of loans.

Better than nothing I suppose?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I received acceptances from both Columbia (SMS) and UCLA (CHS) today. So if you haven't heard do not despair!

Congrats! I think you are the first person that I have seen that has heard back from the Urbanish and the Built Environment Track so far. Did they email you? Anyone else get news today?
Yeyy!!! I got news today. I got my first acceptance to Columbia MPH Health Policy and Mgt. I received an email to log into my application and click on another link. I also received a later email inviting me to accepted students day. Very cool! Im excited.

I also applied late after the deadline.

Accepted:
Columbia

Rejections:
None

Waiting:
Harvard
Emory
Yale

Stats- current 4th yr med student at top tier school
MCAT- average; no GRE
GPA 3.7 undergrad
Graduate 3.5

tons of health care policy experience and research while undergrad and during my summers "off"

Accepted:
Emory (BSHE)
Columbia (Urb. & BE)
UCLA (CHS)

Rejected:
Harvard (SM)

Waiting:
Univ. of MI
JHU

Accepted:
Emory (BSHE)
Columbia (Urb. & BE)
UCLA (CHS)

Rejected:
Harvard (SM)

Waiting:
Univ. of MI
JHU

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm curious when you heard from UCLA. I received a "we're taking longer than expected" email a couple of days ago.

Congrats on all of the acceptances, especially those who heard from UCLA today!!!

Rejection from Yale came today.

So, SDSU/UCSD, I'm sorry I tried to cheat on you with Yale. Please call me and tell me you love me and want to go steady.

Has ANYONE heard from them yet?:) I'm joint with both schools for a PhD application, but has anyone on the MPH/Masters end heard from SDSU?

Last edited:
Apparently theres an envelope waiting for me at home from Boston...its a "big envelope", im guessing an acceptance?

Apparently theres an envelope waiting for me at home from Boston...its a "big envelope", im guessing an acceptance?

Oh I hope it is! When did you submit your application? I am still waiting to hear back from them! They need to get like the other schools and send emails! lol

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm curious when you heard from UCLA. I received a "we're taking longer than expected" email a couple of days ago.
UCLA--I heard from them yesterday afternoon (3.10.10). It was more than a bit random because they didn't send me an acceptance letter, but rather a "Dear "my name," Congratulations again on getting accepted to UCLA SPH...the admissions deposit is waived for Fall 2010 applicants."

ahh JHU where is my decision! lol
YES, where is it? Has anyone heard from MHS--Health, Behavior, and Society? I just e-mailed them because the wait is driving me crazy. They used to be my top choice...

UCLA--I heard from them yesterday afternoon (3.10.10). It was more than a bit random because they didn't send me an acceptance letter, but rather a "Dear "my name," Congratulations again on getting accepted to UCLA SPH...the admissions deposit is waived for Fall 2010 applicants."

Congrats, tengofe! Did you receive the email last week stating that there are tons of apps and they're doing their best to make their way through them?

Congrats, tengofe! Did you receive the email last week stating that there are tons of apps and they're doing their best to make their way through them?
Yes I received the "it's taking longer than expected" email the day before I got the supposed follow up to an acceptance e-mail from them.

Fianlly heard from all my schools.

Accepted:
UNC (MHA)
Michigan (MHSA)
Johns Hopkins (MHS in Health Policy)
THE Ohio State (MHA)
Cornell (MHA)

Rejected:
Yale

Looks like it is going to be UNC. It came down between Michigan, Hopkings and UNC. Michigan gave me a good offer, but still not the value of UNC without any funding. Hopkins made a strong push late, but the fact that it is hella expensive and they can't relocate the school out of Baltimore takes them out of the running. UNC just felt right when I was there and still feels right two months laters.

Oh my goodness, I can't believe it- I got into GWU (first choice!) Email came in 3 minutes ago... I'm shaking like a leaf. I'm super excited..

Still waiting: Boston and USF

Finally heard back from all of my schools (HPM)...

ACCEPTED
BU
Emory
Ohio State
UIC
UTexas
UFlorida

REJECTED
UCLA
UWashington
UNC

now to make a decision... :confused:

Saw that my app was updated for UNC HBHE yesterday. I ended up calling to see the verdict and I was waitlisted. I would def. call if you're still waiting, it's better than worrying your head off C:

Saw that my app was updated for UNC HBHE yesterday. I ended up calling to see the verdict and I was waitlisted. I would def. call if you're still waiting, it's better than worrying your head off C:

How did you see that? Is it from the place where you submitted your online application?

How did you see that? Is it from the place where you submitted your online application?

I saw the same thing. Mine was updated on 3/10. Go to where you submitted your app and click "status" and you can see when it was last updated. I haven't called or anything but if you want to check that thats how you do it.

Yep I checked it the way Deem said. I only checked bc I think on grad cafe I saw someone saw the same thing where their app had been "updated" and then they called. I've been waiting for a long time, I applied in late Nov with my app completed in the beginning of Dec. and I'm so glad I know now. They are extremely nice so if you want to call don't be afraid C:

Still waiting on two schools:

UNC (HPM, PhD)
Berkeley (HPM)

Accepted: Yale, Columbia, Michigan

Has anyone in the HPM program heard from UNC? My status was updated on the 9th, and from the gradcafe forum, it seems as though all communication is via mail.

Yep I checked it the way Deem said. I only checked bc I think on grad cafe I saw someone saw the same thing where their app had been "updated" and then they called. I've been waiting for a long time, I applied in late Nov with my app completed in the beginning of Dec. and I'm so glad I know now. They are extremely nice so if you want to call don't be afraid C:

just checked myself. got on their "top-tier" waitlist (the lovely ms. paige told me that means I would probably get in-- can anyone confirm that this is true?)

GPA: 3.0
GRE: 1360
4 yrs experience

Accepted:
Columbia
Emory

Rejected:
Harvard (whatever)
UW (these guys have a rod up their butt)

Waitlisted
UNC

Still waiting:
JHU
Berk

just checked myself. got on their "top-tier" waitlist (the lovely ms. paige told me that means I would probably get in-- can anyone confirm that this is true?)

GPA: 3.0
GRE: 1360
4 yrs experience

Accepted:
Columbia
Emory

Rejected:
Harvard (whatever)
UW (these guys have a rod up their butt)

Waitlisted
UNC

Still waiting:
JHU
Berk
It seems like UNC accepts a lot off their waitlist. Also if you look at the grad cafe history, someone was accepted in April even after asking to be removed I believe.

I think it's very likely to be accepted, since a lot of people end up going to other schools. The thing is, are you willing to wait? and even then there's still some uncertainty.

Last edited:
Heard from a couple of schools recently and thought I'd share with you all

Stats:
GPA: 3.8/4.0 from a top university in Canada
GRE: 1360, 5.0A
Exp: Volunteering in a ECU at a school affiliated hospital, working at a non-profit organization centered on youth with disabilities, other leadership roles in a student run charitable org and an on-campus publication.

Schools: All MPH in Health Management or MHA programs
Emory (accepted)
Cornell (interviewed + accepted)
Yale (interviewed + accepted)
Hopkins (interviewed)
Michigan (interview scheduled)
Minnesota (interview scheduled)
NYU Wagner (no clue of status)

Torn deciding between Cornell and Yale

So i finally decided to join the group after stumbling on it a few weeks ago...wow thank you all so much for sharing your stories..the support in here is pretty amazing! :) Just wanted to drop a note..

I see a whooole lot of people got acceptances from Emory RSPH (Congrats!). I am still waiting :(. Ive been checking Opus like a crazy person..lol..

If you have been accepted to your dream school and you know for sure that Emory is not in your top two (or three) choices then please let them know asap, withdraw or something of that nature so as to create room for them...because i know a bunch of people are being placed on waiting lists already..

Thanks! Im glad i joined! ill be sharing my stats soon. :)

Anyone know which of the housing for Columbia SPH students is the nicer more preferable place to live? e.g. the newest, cleanest, and closet to the school. I am single, no children and would prefer a room, kitchen, and bathroom to myself. Thanks

edit: wups, wrong thread

Last edited:
Hey I just got my first, complete acceptance into a school! About freakin' time! First choice too!

ACCEPTED, YO:
Tufts - MPH Global Health/MS Nutritional Epi

Waitlisted:
Emory - Global Health

Rejected:
GWU - Microbio and Emerging Infectious Diseases
UNC Chapel Hill - PhD Nutritional Epi

Waiting....whatever:
NYU Steinhardt - MPH Nutrition
UC Berk - MPH Health Behavior and Society (redirected from nut)

Stats, (I wasnt gonna post these until I got into a school...)
undergrad GPA: 3.0 Biochem from a UC, 2 quarters internship at a UC Medical Center, 2 years of undergrad research in plant bio doing mostly genetics, and 2 quarters of study abroad
2 years working in biotech after graduating

Wow, this Tufts program really was a stretch - not a single class in Nutrition or public health under my belt, and my study abroad experience involved Spain - to learn spanish, and Peru - to learn history.

That statement of purpose really matters! As do LORs!