1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Fall semester starts!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by NuttyEngDude, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NuttyEngDude

NuttyEngDude Red-Flagville
    Rocket Scientist 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ...and so does the next step in the post-bacc. The next semester, the next iteration my GPA repair (and pre-req obtaining) plan. This will be my hardest yet (and probably hardest ever).

Hope everyone is well rested and has a good semester! :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BeachBlondie

BeachBlondie Put some tussin on it!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hollar!

I've got orgo/bio and 40 hours per week in the ortho lab. Good luck! :)

4. wholeheartedly

Administrator 7+ Year Member

Got grad school starting in just shy of a month.... round two here we go! :) Hoping I enjoy this year as much as the last and that I haven't just left the honeymoon phase...;)

5. Dayzie

I still don't start until next Monday. Latest I've ever started a fall semester in my life..... It's driving me crazy because I'm really excited for this semester in particular.

Such a nerd.

6. Dzerzhinsky

Dzerzhinsky Chekist It Out
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When you posted this, I was still in Physics Camp. Now Physics Camp is over and done, forever. Forever until MCAT, at least. Which is April 2012. So a relatively small value of forever.

... and now Stats begins!

And next week Bio I begins!

And week after that Chemistry I begins!

OH THE GLAMOUR.

Some time off would have been nice. Oh well. If I get my first week of Stats homework done by Thursday night, I get Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off with absolutely no schoolwork to be done. I can't even imagine how beautiful that's going to be.

7. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
    :thumbup:

My first round of tests is in about 3.5 weeks away...

8. ejw5075

ejw5075 Smile.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    YAY good luck :D

9. dmf2682

Removed Rocket Scientist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got you all beat! I'm still in the summer quarter until Monday and fall classes don't start until three weeks after that! Can't wait for organic!

10. Immediatist

Pre-Medical
    I'm pretty stoked myself! Starting my first semester next Monday; looking forward to taking Bio, Chem, and Physics, as well as a filler class or two (I'm looking at you, Ancient Chinese Literature). It may look like a lot (I'm second guessing myself on the three weekly labs and lab reports), but given that my last college experience was made up of 99% Music-related courses (18 credits a semester on average!), I'm looking forward to a breath of fresh air.

11. FutureSunnyDoc

FutureSunnyDoc SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started Gen Chem I and Physics I Monday. I feel like a freshman again. :D Time to be the smart kid in class again (like in high school, haha)! At a different school from my undergraduate institution (slightly more relaxed in terms of the student population, gorgeous Southern sunshine - couldn't ask for more) and it feels like a fresh start. One class at a time, one step at a time will get my GPA up from no man's land (~2.4 - yikes) up to where it needs to be for an SMP.

Who's pumped? What are your goals for this semester?

My goals:
    -Being on time and present for every class
    -Working out for 20 minutes every day to help with concentration
    -Getting As in Physics and Chem!
    -Not taking the Physics final because I will have maintained a 90% up till the last day of classes!
    -Mastering Physics to the point where I overcome my deep dislike of math and logical thinking, and can become a TA especially well equipped to help students with ADD
    -Doing 1,000 out of the 3,000 Physics problems in this book
    -Working out every day
    -Applying for hospital jobs continuously... and hopefully, getting one! Volunteering in the ER otherwise.
    -Maintaining my outpatient clinic volunteer position

NuttyEngDude, great idea for a thread. :thumbup: Good luck to you with your grade boosting efforts this semester!

12. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
    Are you on the quarter (or trimester) system?

13. dmf2682

Pre-Medical
    Yeah. I'd never seen quarters in a university setting till i came out here. Dumbest thing ever, and they don't seem to understand that everyone else uses semesters. You wouldn't believe the rigamarole I went through trying to convince their chemistry department that chemistry 1 and 2 from my undergrad was the same as their 1 2 & 3.

14. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
    I came from the opposite direction. My English 1 and 2 from the quarter system are not the same as the semester ones so now I have to take a semester of English :D

15. FutureSunnyDoc

FutureSunnyDoc SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Physics. is. hard. The whole class was totally lost the second day, and it was like pulling teeth when the Russian professor was asking us how to solve 2D motion problems.

Haha, man, if you're taking it with a weak background, you gotta hit the Trig and Geometry books hard! It took me eight hours of online tutorials just to do the introductory online homework assignment. I just keep telling myself that any monkey can do math. It just takes some monkeys longer than others! It's not like painting or writing a brilliant novel. You just do problems, and more problems, and more problems... hours in, grade out. It's an exercise in cultivating self-discipline, which I've needed for a long time.

P.S. if this is the wrong thread for such talk, sorry OP!

16. Dayzie

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is my fall book stack.... it cost more than my EMT-I tuition! Even though three of them are those loose leaf monstrosities that don't even have covers. Argh.

What the heck am I getting myself into this semester?

17. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    this is my final semester for my 4 year degree. 15 credits. I want to get through this semester so fast. it has been 8 years coming and I have a light at the end of the tunnel.

18. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
    nah, it's good. I like to read chit chat about what we're all going through :)

looks expensive! :)

:thumbup: Very nice!

19. excitedtoapply

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This thread is awesome! It makes me happy to see other people actually excited about learning what you need to know to get into med school. I made a post in the MCAT discussion board about being excited to study because it is another step towards my final goal and didn't get the most exciting responses.

I haven't gotten to sign up for my Fall classes yet because I was told I had to register as a non-degree seeking graduate student (which was incorrect) and now I don't get to register until a week before class starts. Cross my fingers o-chem lab doesn't fill up! All I need is one seat available on September 19th at 8am:xf:

20. hawkbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That sucks... I'll be graduating in the spring, then on to more pre-reqs as a second bachelors student. Happily, second bachelors students are considered seniors for class selection so I'll get first pick. :thumbup:

21. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
    good luck! :xf:

so far in my classes (i'm taking some upper level bio classes), i'm learning that there are some intense, and i mean passionate, biology majors. it is interesting, i mean people with tattoos of endangered animals on their skin and only referring to common animals by their scientific names. i think to fit in, i might get a giant tattoo of the HMS beagle across my chest....I kid of course :smuggrin:

22. Dayzie

I know a guy who has a nucleotide configuration diagram tattooed on each arm. He's really young, too, which gave me some hope for the future. ^_^

And I'd love to see a giant sailor style Beagle on someone's chest. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but with my luck it probably belongs to some hipster.

23. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
  24. Dayzie

Dang it, now I'm half tempted to run out and get the atom tattooed on my ankle that I almost got last year. I'm glad that Beagle tatt looks exactly like I hoped it would.

25. Beandog

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I start physics on Monday, and I'm nervous as hell. I'm taking 13 credits plus an EMT recert class on Saturday, and working 36 hours a week. Plus EMT/FF volunteer. It's going to be a rough couple months.

I sweated through stats last semester and came out alright, but math has never been my forte. I'm going to be working it on a couple hours in the morning and then after evening class and weekends. I've always done great with labs - hoping that that can help balance my grade up.

26. Dzerzhinsky

Pre-Medical
    In the same vein, I know a girl with ECG tracings tattooed on her wrists. It's pretty awesome. I'm contemplating doing the same at some point (though probably not on my wrists.) Hers are normal QRS complexes, though; me, I'd get Torsades or something cool.

I'm also contemplating getting my various GPAs (undergrad, grad, and postbacc) tattooed on me in resistor code.

Note: all of the above is made much more amusing by the fact that I have made it through my life to date without any tattoos whatsoever.

Finally, to those suffering through Physics, having just completed Physics Camp myself, I refer you to the best comment on the subject ever.

27. hawkbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That just made my morning, thanks!:laugh:

28. SisterDisco08

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Starting my ms in physiology at michigan on sept 6!!

Best of luck to everyone!

29. ejw5075

ejw5075 Smile.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

That is really really awesome. I met someone with a DNA double-helix tattoo around their wrist. :D

30. Dayzie

Anybody have any advice on a super quick trig rundown? It's been about two years since I had precalc and trig, and I need a very fast refresher on those trig functions.

On a good note, I did have that vague recollection feeling going on so I'm not terribly worried about diving right back into it. :p

31. Immediatist

Pre-Medical
    With one first day of class left (first Physics lab!), I'd like to reflect on it all:

MWF is Bio/Chem/Physics (Calculus based; I'm pretty sure I'm a masochist) straight from 9:30 to 1
    Mondays also have Bio lab (afternoon) and Chem lab (evening), which means this day is officially hell on earth (unless you're a science nerd like me, but we'll see how long that mentality lasts)

TR is Ancient Chinese Lit, which is actually more of a combination of lit, philosophy, and meditation studies (Tai Chi is gonna be reaaaaally helpful, and hopefully fun too. I'll also be auditing Calc 1 on these days as a refresher (AP credits are getting me out of it) to build on what I've done this summer
    Tuesday evening is Physics lab.

My science professors are all pretty cool, and very realistic. I have no doubt in my mind that I'm going to need to bust my ass to get A's, but I'm pretty psyched about the classes nonetheless. The Ancient Chinese Lit professor is the most sagelike individual I've ever met. I'm really looking forward to this class, even though it's going to be a decent amount of extra reading (we're covering five texts, in addition to a bunch of supplementary reading the prof's collected). If anything, it'll be a nice change of pace from all of the science.

This semester is looking to be both awesome and crazy. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I am pretty damn happy I'm taking the Chinese lit/philosophy class. Here's hoping it keeps me sane... :xf:

Just saw this, I'm in a pretty similar boat. My first Physics homework is a trig review, and while I remember the simple stuff (a^2+b^2=c^2; etc) some of it is a little fuzzy. I've been reviewing with Khan's Academy and this site:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Extras/AlgebraTrigReview/AlgebraTrigIntro.aspx

Are you struggling with anything in particular?

32. Dayzie

That middle section on that site about summed it up. I took an accelerated two-semesters-in-one precalc class and all of the sine/cosine/tangent stuff just fell right out of my head since then..... we didn't spend much time on it since it was all sort of crammed in there. And that was a while ago!

This will help quite nicely. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

33. NuttyEngDude

Pre-Medical
    Nice, I feel the same way, it will be both awesome and crazy. :)

Hey Dayzie, Also you can do a search for Trigonometry on youtube and you'll come up with lots.

34. dmf2682

Pre-Medical
    I can't help but feel a little like general custer at little big horn, being so eager to get started with organic chemistry. I hope I survive!

35. Dzerzhinsky

Pre-Medical
    Purplemath saved my butt. Scroll down to the bottom, to "... and the beginnings of trig"

36. rrt

rrt

Pre-Medical
    I started my fall semester on the 22nd.

MW:
    2pm: Voice class.... 'nuff said.
    3:30pm: Physics Lecture (algebra based)
    7pm: Physics Lab (Mon only)

TTh:
    8am: Chemistry Lab (Tues. only)
    2pm: Chemistry Lecture
    **Worried at first b/c the first question the prof. asked was: "What is the property of metal?" Realized he was saying matter.... Let the fun begin.

Online:
    Composition 1.

I am actually retaking every class I have taken that will be older than 10 years old in 2015. Started college in 2002 during HS. Utilizing Texas Fresh Start program.

Working 32 hrs a week as a polysomnographer/respiratory therapist at a children's sleep lab at night. We are expecting a baby around Dec. 25th... Hopefully he sticks to his due date!!!

On another note, I bought all my books via craigslist or bigwords.com. If you don't mind having an international edition book, you can save 80% easily through bigwords.