General Admissions & OTCAS Fall semester undergrad OT prospective student Spring 2020 or Fall 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thefutureisot

Reaction score
Is anyone else kinda stressed about this whole coronavirus outbreak and how it's interfering with being able to complete observation hours and taking the GRE. I wonder if some schools would be more lenient towards these things due to the pandemic

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else kinda stressed about this whole coronavirus outbreak and how it's interfering with being able to complete observation hours and taking the GRE. I wonder if some schools would be more lenient towards these things due to the pandemic

I think it definitely wouldn't hurt to talk to the school and see what they say. At this unprecedented time, I am sure they have some understanding, since you really can't observe without being there. But I think GRE they are offering online starting this month? Not sure about the details.

I can imagine most programs will be rewriting some of their guidelines and due dates for the next round of applications Considering how much this is affecting people at all levels of becoming OTs. I’m a current OTD student, and fieldwork settings for every current cohort have been put on hold - there’s already delays for OT students all over the country being able to finish their programs- hard to think schools couldn’t be understanding of this affecting prospective students as well. What the adjustments will end up needing to look like, nobody can say. At the very least, you’ll have some extra insight on occupational disruption and practicing flexibility in a rapidly changing world for your application essays.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I know St. Augustine has been flexible

With clinics limiting access to essential employees only, I have not been able to complete the observation hours required for my program. What can I do?
Please submit your application even without the full amount of observation hours. Our program directors have agreed to make the following concessions for applicants to the summer and fall trimesters:

DPT – a minimum of 40 observation hours
OT – a minimum of 20 observation hours
Applicants with less than the above-mentioned observation hours will be reviewed individually. Please contact your enrollment advisor or [email protected] for more information.

I emailed SJSU about observation hours and the GRE and they said the following:

Update on GRE requirements for applicants for the 2021 Fall Cohort:
COVID-19 has presented many additional challenges and stressors for applicants for the 2020-2021 application period. We realize that it is uncertain when COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted, allowing applicants to go to testing sites for the GRE. It is important to note that the GRE can be taken at home, on-line. There is a human proctor who will monitor each test taker via video camera to ensure that all testing procedures are being adhered to. Although at this time we are still requiring the GRE as a part of our application packet, we will waive the minimum score requirements on the Verbal, Writing and total (Verbal and Quantitative) sections for the 2020-2021 application period. The scores of 153 (Verbal) and 4.0 (Writing) are still preferred, however they will not be required and we will consider applications that did not meet this criterion.
As always, the GRE scores and the GPA in the last 60 units of coursework will be scored together in the matrix used in the application review.

I am nervous about getting hours too! I was interning in a hospital and obviously am not currently allowed back, and had 2 more lined up for the summer, but it looks like that probably won't be happening. If you find any ways to get some hours be sure to post it I'm sure everyone would benefit!