Family medicine as a second residency after preventative medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bguttery123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is pretty simple, but could I apply to do FM as a second residency? I am looking into preventative medicine as well, and considering the military as a option for school. I am imagining doing a prev med residency in the military, serving 4 years, then getting out and attending a FM residency. I know this seems very backwards but I am not 100% set on doing FM in the military and love the opportunities that prev med can offer. I still want the clinical training of a FM doc, but am leaning more towards doing it on my own time. I wasn't sure how a FM residency would view a prev med doc coming back for more clinical training....

Members don't see this ad.

Depends where you apply. At the more competitive programs, a lack of commitment to the field will generally be viewed negatively. Less-competitive programs, however, might take anyone with a pulse.

Depends where you apply. At the more competitive programs, a lack of commitment to the field will generally be viewed negatively. Less-competitive programs, however, might take anyone with a pulse.
Thanks for your reply! I can understand why they would perceive that. I want to focus on family med and tie in prev med, but can see how it would look bad. In a follow-up question, do you know if a doing FM as a second residency would make the residency 2 years instead of 3? Or would that vary based off program as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! I can understand why they would perceive that. I want to focus on family med and tie in prev med, but can see how it would look bad. In a follow-up question, do you know if a doing FM as a second residency would make the residency 2 years instead of 3? Or would that vary based off program as well?

My understanding is that CMS allocates funds for residency training based on the length of the training program that you initially match into. So, if you match into PM, you'll only get two years' worth of funding. Your second residency would be unfunded, which would mean that the program would be responsible for the entire cost of your training. Good luck with that. That being said, there are some combined FM/PM residencies out there. You might look into those.

Most military docs do PM as a second residency. I haven't met anyone that did that as their only residency and there isn't any data on the GME slideshow for PM.