Family's attitude about studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedstudent2195

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one else's family just incredibly unsupportive about you studying for the MCAT? They're frustrated that I have to study for hours/all day. Their attitude is that if I don't know it by now then I never will...and they pretty much don't believe that I'm studying this much. They told me that if I have to study this much I shouldn't be going to medical school because you can't leave a patient's room to go study and come up with a diagnosis...

Anyone else dealing with conflict like this with their family? How did you deal with it? I'm just ignoring the ignorance for now, but it's pretty demoralizing and lowers my morale...

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my gosh, YES. ME. This is something I’ve been dealing with with my mom since I’ve started taking my upper level science classes, which of course require hours of studying. She calls me lazy and selfish because “all I care about is studying and school and nothing else” and asks why I’m even studying for the MCAT because I’ll do “just fine naturally.” Haha, no, mom, I don’t get the grades I get because I “naturally” ace my exams. My dad, luckily, is a physician, so he went through the hours of studying and completely understands and supports me. But yeah, I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t care what she thinks of me and how she judges me. She ended up with a daughter who is career-oriented instead of “homemaker”-oriented and she hates it, but thats not my problem. Just keep doing what you’re doing and think about what YOU want and YOUR future. We’re at a time in our lives where we’ve gotta be selfish if we want to achieve our goals. When your family bashes you, just move to a different studying location and let them be. Once youre in med school and an amazing doc, theyll regret everything they ever told you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my gosh, YES. ME. This is something I’ve been dealing with with my mom since I’ve started taking my upper level science classes, which of course require hours of studying. She calls me lazy and selfish because “all I care about is studying and school and nothing else” and asks why I’m even studying for the MCAT because I’ll do “just fine naturally.” Haha, no, mom, I don’t get the grades I get because I “naturally” ace my exams. My dad, luckily, is a physician, so he went through the hours of studying and completely understands and supports me. But yeah, I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t care what she thinks of me and how she judges me. She ended up with a daughter who is career-oriented instead of “homemaker”-oriented and she hates it, but thats not my problem. Just keep doing what you’re doing and think about what YOU want and YOUR future. We’re at a time in our lives where we’ve gotta be selfish if we want to achieve our goals. When your family bashes you, just move to a different studying location and let them be. Once youre in med school and an amazing doc, theyll regret everything they ever told you.
I've been dealing with this as well when my classes got harder! It's progressively gotten worse. I'm selfish as well apparently. My favorite thing to hear is that "oh you'll be just fine, you're so smart!" No. I won't be "just fine" unless I work for it. The nonchalant attitude that everyone has kills me. I was raised by my grandparents and my grandmother has the same attitude as your mom. She's just dying for me to finish college and come back to my crappy hometown. She's totally in disbelief as to why I'd want to do more school and become a doctor. I'm selfish for wanting to go to more school instead of being done with college and staying home with them. It's just so bizarre to me as to why it's a problem for us girls to chase these big dreams... I'm thankful for my friends and boyfriend they sort of understand, but they're always supportive. It would just be nice to have familial support you know? Instead of making me feel stupid for studying so much. I love what you said at the end about being selfish at this time in our lives.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do you. It will get worse in med school and residency. Set realistic expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk