FAQs/Thread Archive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheerstress

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all:

It seems we're having more and more threads in which a poster new to emergency medicine visits our section of the forum and asks many of the same questions we all had at one time (e.g. which are the top programs; which are the best reading materials, etc. etc. etc.).

I would ask the moderators: is there any way we could archive some of the most pertinent threads to a person wanting to go into our specialty, or make a "FAQs" link to such questions and their answers that we could provide? It would probably save everyone a lot of time and energy.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Sheerstress
To all:

It seems we're having more and more threads in which a poster new to emergency medicine visits our section of the forum and asks many of the same questions we all had at one time (e.g. which are the top programs; which are the best reading materials, etc. etc. etc.).

I would ask the moderators: is there any way we could archive some of the most pertinent threads to a person wanting to go into our specialty, or make a "FAQs" link to such questions and their answers that we could provide? It would probably save everyone a lot of time and energy.

NOt a problem. I've thought about putting up a *STICKY* but haven't had the time. Most of the common questions are 3 vs 4, best programs, what do i have to do to get in, and burnout... i don't like the notion of having 3-4 stickies at the top of the threads, it makes it look cluttered (IMHO), so do you guys htink just one big sticky with FAQ as the topic or what?

Q

I am in for 1 sticky only, I hate to scroll down....Wait.....That might be a great excuse for that 21" Monitor!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget to include "How does the match work" We'll need it again in a couple of months.

C

I agree with posting a FAQ sticky, especially if we can post them at the bottom of the pages. Do you think we can add in there directions on how to search archives for all the newbies.

even if the sticky is at the top, it isnt THAT much work to scroll down a couple inches.

I vote for the single FAQ sticky note as well. If you put all the info on one note, it will help newbies answer questions they didn't even know they had yet.

I agree that one sticky (or two if necessary) should be fine.

You know, sometimes it's not bad to rehash old subjects on a new thread...at least we're not talking only about what e med books are "cool" that way (or other similar threads):hardy:

Sticky is good...

On a different note: Elf and Z - one of you needs to change your avatar! Too confusing! ;)

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
NOt a problem. I've thought about putting up a *STICKY* but haven't had the time. Most of the common questions are 3 vs 4, best programs, what do i have to do to get in, and burnout... i don't like the notion of having 3-4 stickies at the top of the threads, it makes it look cluttered (IMHO), so do you guys htink just one big sticky with FAQ as the topic or what?

Q

Since you don't have time, why don't you solicit other sdners to write FAQ and answers for you? If everyone posted FAQ in this thread, quinn could gather up those that he deems to be the most useful, and post it up himself as a sticky. I think that it works better when only one person does it and locks it, so it's easier to read without the intermittent conversation going on that you see in regular threads. Just a thought.

What about splitting into two sections, one with nothing but EM FAQs and newbie questions while the other would be general discussion threads?

Interested people still get the answers they need, but this forum doesn't get cluttered with FAQs that the regulars have to weed through daily.

I've seen this work on other forums.

Stephen

You know, sometimes it's not bad to rehash old subjects on a new thread...at least we're not talking only about what e med books are "cool" that way (or other similar threads)

Yes, answers to various questions change slightly or even become completely obsolete over a given time. Or perhaps one may have a question about a specific detail of a common topic that may have not been considered before.

Threads with those questions should certainly still be posted. It's only the more cut-and-dry topics that would be best put in the sticky.