Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

FASFA and parent info

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ghm, Mar 1, 2002.

1. ghm

ghm Member
    7+ Year Member

do you have to include parent info FASFA makes it seem like all medical students need to--is that true?

2. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

For most schools, yes. Even if one school doesn't require it on FAFSA, another school will, so you might as well do it and get it over with. The ones that don't will require it on their own forms. Get used to providing it over and over again. The parental info will only be used for a shool's own loans/grants/scholarships, so it can't hurt you to provide it. The feds will ignore it in calculating your EFC.

3. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes you do! I am married and I still had to include it! However, I believe that if you are considered independent, your parents info doesn't matter as much...hope this helps

4. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A good majority of schools will require it. The school I am going to does not, and since my partents make a good enough amount of money that I won't be eligible for any special scholarships, I am not bothering to put it.

If you know where you are going, give the school a call and ask. Otherwise, I would just go ahead and include it. It won't hurt you any--you are considered independent regardless.

5. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just a friendly reminder that a nice chart around page 83 of the MSAR says whether or nor schools request parental info, as well as deadlines. :)