Favorite quotes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been done before but I figured it'd be worth doing again. Every once in a while I like looking around for random quotes. What are some of your favorites? Here are a few I found that were particularly interesting...

"You live life looking forward, you understand life looking backward."
Soren Kierkegaard

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed."
Booker T. Washington

"Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it."
Unknown

"If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it."
Jonathan Winters

"Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow."
Unknown

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Galileo Galilei

Members don't see this ad.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Women are considered deep - why? Because one never fathoms their depths. Women are not even shallow. (always loved the pun)
- Friedrich Nietzsche

It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
- Douglas Adams

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Members don't see this ad :)
"No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch." - Leo Dworken

This one always makes me smile.

"Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's what's in the middle that counts. So when you find yourself at the beginning, just give hope a chance to float up. And it will."

I know that sounds corney coming from a movie but I LOVE THAT QUOTE! :)

"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."

"The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn."

A religious one that I like:

"Going to church doesn't make you a good Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car."

Last edited:
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

-George W. Bush

Sorry, I couldn't resist!! Anyone seen Step Brothers? That's where I first saw this one....:laugh:

You should not have started this thread. I collect quotes. c:

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Jack Handey

"Trout, incidentally, had written a book about a money tree. It had twenty-dollar bills for leaves. Its flowers were government bonds. Its fruit was diamonds. It attracted human beings who killed each other around the roots and made very good fertilizer. So it goes."
Kurt Vonnegut

"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
Ray Bradbury

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bog-gglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing."
Douglas Adams

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."
Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Lazarus Long

I really try to live by this one (as cheesy as it sounds) since having a positive attidute/outlook is important!

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you make of it."

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo

"There's just nothing like seeing one of the newest creatures on the planet wobbling around on legs pointed in four different directions, with a little milk dribbling down its chin."
The Cowboy Way (GREAT book if you haven't read it!)

Me: "I don't get off work til 6:00, so I'll probably show up wearing scrubs covered in dog vomit."
My dear friend: "It's okay, that's how we're used to seeing you anyways."
(Not exactly a "quote," but I thought you all could probably empathize :))

"For I know the plans I have for you" says the Lord, "Plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.-- Abraham Lincoln

"These were people... who built redwood decks on their mobile homes and have no idea that smart-aleck Yankees think that is somehow funny. People of the pines. My people." - Rick Bragg

"Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made. Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade. To write the love of God above would drain the ocean dry, nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky." - From the hymn, "The Love of God"

"Think of stepping on shore,
and finding it Heaven.

Think of touching a hand,
and finding it God's hand.

Think of breathing air,
and finding it celestial.

Think of waking up in Glory,
and finding it Home."
-Ravi Zacharias

"Devote your youthful days to the acquisition of all possible useful knowledge" - Jesse Mercer

"Excuses only satisfy those who make them." - Unknown

"Religion is far more of a choice than sexuality." --John Stewart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France

"The easiest way to lose something is to want it too much." --JD on Scrubs :D

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

"Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come." --Friedrich Nietzsche, according to Matt Groening :p

"Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day." --Friedrich Nietzsche

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
— Richard Dawkins

"But although denying that we have a special place in the natural world might seem becomingly modest in the eye of eternity, it might also be used as an excuse for evading our responsibilities. The fact is that no species has ever had such wholesale control over everything on earth, living or dead, as we now have. That lays upon us, whether we like it or not, an awesome responsibility. In our hands now lies not only our own future, but that of all other living creatures with whom we share the earth."
-- David Attenborough
(Actually, the entire final two paragraphs from Life on Earth would make this list, not just the final - but it might be overkill to type it all in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"He no busy being born is busy dying"- Bob Dylan

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"-Winston Churchill

CD816 reminded me of this one:

BTW, Trilt, I took a lot of thought and effort as to what the best Douglas Adams quote was to post... You won :(

"Thats not a Unicorn, That's a horse with a sword on his head, and he's there to guard my hopes and dreams.”
- JD Scubs

"Much unhappiness has come from things left unsaid"
-Tolstoy

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-Ghandi

and today from my "fortune" cookie....
"You will acquire some new clothes." I'm not ordering from that restaurant anymore.

directly copied from my facebook... although I know there are always a few that I want to add and forget to add, so you may hear from me again:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsucessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press On" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Theresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein -- H. Jackson Brown, author of Life's Little Instruction Book

Early is on time, on time is late, late is unacceptable.

Whenever I get down or depressed, I just take a look at my two wiener dogs, because I guarantee you'll never see a more "can do" attitude in a more "can't do" body than a wiener dog. ~Kevin Kling

A few of my favorites, also mostly taken from my facebook profile:

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" -Ralph Waldo Emerson [That's my favorite quote ever...was even my "senior quote" in my high school yearbook.]

From The Tao of Pooh:
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-Mark Twain

"Can you understand why I drink at night?"
-Bob Barker

To keep with the Scrubs theme:
JD: Are you aware of any odd underground canal system beneath the hospital? I think I saw a manatee.
Janitor: Was his name Julian?
JD: We didn't exchange pleasantries.
Janitor: That's Julian.

And a slight variation, but still Zach Braff...from Garden State:
"Don't tease me about my hobbies. I don't tease you about being an *******."

"The best way to keep one's word is not to give it." ~Napoleon

"The truth is the safest lie." ~Anonymous

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Threats are the last resort of a man with no vocabulary." I forget which book it's from. Something by Tamora Pierce, I think.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~Adam Savage from Mythbusters

"He lives well who lives unnoticed." -Latin proverb

This is probably my favorite:
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." ~Will Rogers

"We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."
-Will Rogers

"Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground"
-Anonymous

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves."
-William Shakespeare

And I think this quote is the most appropriate for all of us:
"The best doctor in the world is the veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter-he's got to just know."
-Will Rogers

Thank you everyone for posting all of these awesome quotes! these are the two from my facebook but I may have to post again when I dig up some of the others I love.

"(what is)..the kind of education science offers to man. It teaches us to be neglectful of nothing — not to despise the small beginnings, for they precede of necessity all great things in the knowledge of science, either pure or applied."
— Michael Faraday

"What a weak, credulous, incredulous, unbelieving, superstitious, bold, frightened, what a ridiculous world ours is, as far as concerns the mind of man. How full of inconsistencies, contradictions and absurdities it is. I declare that taking the average of many minds that have recently come before me ... I should prefer the obedience, affections and instinct of a dog."
— Michael Faraday (GO MIKE!)

I also love that there are so many Douglas Adams fans! RIGHT ON!

Last edited:
Haha. Rachroo, you done growed up since then. Got into vet school and everything. *sniff* I'm so proud! :D

Aww, thanks twelvetigers! I still wake up every day and think, "Holy crap, I got into vet school? Is this a dream?" It's weird that we're starting to see a cyclic nature to the threads from when we first joined...oh, so very long ago!

It won't be long and I'll be offering you congrats for getting into vet school! **cought**apply to OSU**cough**

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure....Life is either an dangerous adventure or nothing"--Helen Keller

"The unconditional love one can have for an animal is so very close to the best concepts of 'God' "

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit"-Chief Seattle

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird, that cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go
life is a barren field, frozen with snow
-Langston Hughes

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway"--John Wayne

"There's two dates in time, that they'll carve on your stone, And everyone knows what they mean
What's more important is the time that is known
in that little dash there in between"