Funny quotes from "less informed" pre-vets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedLauren

CSU CVMBS c/o 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread like this in another part of SDN and could not help but think how relevant it is to those of us that are pre-veterinary. Because many of us are playing the waiting game right now, and we need something to lighten our spirits I'll go first.

A nice girl in my o chem lab last year told me she wasn't going to take biochem (even thought its a pre-requisite for a school she ALREADY applied to) because once she gets in she can "take it there and then finish the rest of the credits for her bachelors degree her first year of vet school."

I also once heard from a freshman that their first choice is medical school but if that doesn't work out he's going to apply to our in state vet school "as a back up".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I saw a thread like this in another part of SDN and could not help but think how relevant it is to those of us that are pre-veterinary. Because many of us are playing the waiting game right now, and we need something to lighten our spirits I'll go first.

A nice girl in my o chem lab last year told me she wasn't going to take biochem (even thought its a pre-requisite for a school she ALREADY applied to) because once she gets in she can "take it there and then finish the rest of the credits for her bachelors degree her first year of vet school."

I also once heard from a freshman that their first choice is medical school but if that doesn't work out he's going to apply to our in state vet school "as a back up".

I feel like folks have a better chance of getting into med school than vet school, simply because of how many med schools there are. I could be wrong. I used to say I would do human med as a "back up" to vet med, but then I went to a med school open house and realized it wasn't at all for me. I thought to myself, "how could someone want to pay all that money [tuition] to do THIS?"--then realized it's the same cost for vet med, but because the latter is what I'm actually passionate about, the cost of it didn't make that much of a difference in my mind.

Realistically I knew I wasn't going to do med school as a backup. I truly believe was put on earth to be a veterinarian and make a difference in the lives of animals & humans. It was just a point in my academic career when I strongly doubted my ability to get into vet school. Also, I had just started watching House, and thought it'd be cool to be like him, hahahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I feel like folks have a better chance of getting into med school than vet school, simply because of how many med schools there are. I could be wrong. I used to say I would do human med as a "back up" to vet med, but then I went to a med school open house and realized it wasn't at all for me. I thought to myself, "how could someone want to pay all that money [tuition] to do THIS?"--then realized it's the same cost for vet med, but because the latter is what I'm actually passionate about, the cost of it didn't make a difference in my mind.

Realistically I knew I wasn't going to do med school as a backup. I truly believe was put on earth to be a veterinarian and make a difference in the lives of animals & humans. It was just a point in my academic career when I strongly doubted my ability to get into vet school. Also, I had just started watching House, and thought it'd be cool to be like him, hahahaha.
If real life was TV I would totally want to be a MD. But it's not, so . . . Nope. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I kid you not, my freshman year of college I had a class with a girl who was pre-vet. She thought that once she graduated with her bachelors that was it; she was a veterinarian. I'm still confused about her thought process but to this day it makes me chuckle.

If you have any on topic experiences or funnies please share!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"I don't care how much vet school costs. Cost doesn't matter to me."

"There are like scholarships and grants and stuff tho. I'm sure I'll be fine."

Reactions: 5 users
Also, I kid you not, my freshman year of college I had a class with a girl who was pre-vet. She thought that once she graduated with her bachelors that was it; she was a veterinarian. I'm still confused about her thought process but to this day it makes me chuckle.

If you have any on topic experiences or funnies please share!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My cousin thought a similar thing for pretty much any of the professions that require you to apply and be accepted on top of your undergrad. This was about a year or two ago when she was 19 or 20. Oh dear. Thought you just went to any college and could major in whatever including nursing (yes, I know you can get a BSN and have that be your undergrad major, but you have to apply and be accepted into the nursing program at whatever school and you usually apply after already being there, or you're exceptional and they pre-admit you), human med doctor, vet, physician assistant, basically anything. My sister and I informed her this was not the case (sister is applying to PA school and, of course, I'm applying to vet).

"I'll graduate with $200k in loans since my OOS tuition is $50k a year. I'll make around $70k a year, so I'll be paid off in about three years. I don't understand why people think paying off the debt is going to take the rest of their lives."

Or any variation of that. You have no idea how many times I've heard/read this. I mean...maybe if you evade taxes/interest and live in a box.

Reactions: 9 users
Hahaha. Once you're a doctor you don't have to eat or pay rent or pay bills. Didn't you know??

"I've watched so many surgeries at my clinic back home. I'm pretty sure I could do a foreign body or cystotomy on my own."

Reactions: 4 users
I had a coworker who was planning to apply to every US school. Every one. This would have been her first application cycle, but I haven't seen her in a year so I don't know how many schools she actually submitted to. She was so shocked when I told her I was only applying to my IS.

Reactions: 1 user
"I've watched so many surgeries at my clinic back home. I'm pretty sure I could do a foreign body or cystotomy on my own."

This reminds me that I typo'd cystotomy on my VMCAS as "cystostomy." It really was a typo, I know they're both totally different procedures. I just hope that's recognized/is ignored/isn't noticed. I'm such a jerk.

Members don't see this ad :)
This wasn't even from a prevet but a girl who was just about to go to her senior year in high school. Regarding volunteering/ getting a job in a vet clinic.
"I'm sure they like volunteers like me better than employees like you because they don't have to pay me".
I was sort of shocked because of.....how rude, I also wanted to bring up insurance issues etc but whatever, we'll let the 17 year old live in that bubble for a little bit longer.

I had a coworker who was planning to apply to every US school. Every one. This would have been her first application cycle, but I haven't seen her in a year so I don't know how many schools she actually submitted to. She was so shocked when I told her I was only applying to my IS.
I have no idea how people can afford to apply to that many schools, seriously. Between VMCAS, supplementals, and travel/food expenses, it was a stretch for me to apply to even 4; I had a decent amount of money saved up but still eventually had to resort to using a credit card.

Even then, though, someone who applies to more than maybe 6-7 schools is almost inevitably going to have to decline at least a couple of interview offers due to scheduling conflicts. Applying to all US vet schools is just silly, unfeasible, and a monumental waste of money, even if she somehow happens to have completed all of the pre-reqs for every school. :rolleyes:

ETA: There's absolutely nothing wrong with you only applying to your IS school. It's likely your cheapest option (unless your IS is Penn, MWU, Tufts, or UMN) and is also going to be your best shot at acceptance, anyway. Unless you really, truly feel the need to apply broadly, I think it's actually a very wise decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'll graduate with $200k in loans since my OOS tuition is $50k a year. I'll make around $70k a year, so I'll be paid off in about three years. I don't understand why people think paying off the debt is going to take the rest of their lives."

Or any variation of that. You have no idea how many times I've heard/read this. I mean...maybe if you evade taxes/interest and live in a box.
I've already got my under-bridge box rental all set up. It'll be fine!

"Oh, vet school can't be that hard--I took 16 credit hours every semester in undergrad, which is over full-time, and worked at a vet clinic part-time, and made a 3.5. Also, I'll do so much better because I'll actually be interested in everything they teach us! I'm totally going to get a 4.0, no problem!"

Yes, I've dealt with several pre-vets in real life who said something to this effect.

No, I'm totally not bitter right now. Not in the slightest. :bang:

"What's your major?"

"Pre-vet."

"Oh, vet school can't be that hard--I took 16 credit hours every semester in undergrad, which is over full-time, and worked at a vet clinic part-time, and made a 3.5. Also, I'll do so much better because I'll actually be interested in everything they teach us! I'm totally going to get a 4.0, no problem!"

Yes, I've dealt with several pre-vets in real life who said something to this effect.

No, I'm totally not bitter right now. Not in the slightest. :bang:
Lol, I think I can count on my fingers the number of times we've learned about something I've been truly interested in. I mean the general interest is there in that I want to learn medicine, but I know very few people who seem excited about everything.

I have no idea how people can afford to apply to that many schools, seriously. Between VMCAS, supplementals, and travel/food expenses, it was a stretch for me to apply to even 4; I had a decent amount of money saved up but still eventually had to resort to using a credit card.

Even then, though, someone who applies to more than maybe 6-7 schools is inevitably going to have to decline at least a couple of interview offers due to scheduling conflicts. Applying to all US vet schools is just silly, unfeasible, and a monumental waste of money, even if she somehow happens to have completed all of the pre-reqs for every school. :rolleyes:

I applied to 9 because I didn't have a IS. I went to five interviews and they didn't conflict, so maybe I just got lucky, but it is possible. The rest didn't do interviews or only did them for IS kids. I wouldn't recommend applying to all, but I know everyone has a different situation, and for me applying for more was worth it.

Well to be fair, that actually was a major at least at my undergrad. It wouldn't get you a degree but you could definitely claim it as your major and therefore it's a valid response if you haven't declared anything different.

Yeah I've heard of a few colleges where its a legit major. But at mine it definitely is not lol

Scrubs made me want to be a human doctor.
Makes me hope to experience the vet school equivalent of Scrubs.

(I keep telling myself it's okay, it'll be this way. Don't ruin this for me :p)

Makes me hope to experience the vet school equivalent of Scrubs.

(I keep telling myself it's okay, it'll be this way. Don't ruin this for me :p)

I loved Scrubs!

I'm hoping vet school will be like Hogwarts.

Percentage of Wildlife/Conservation Veterinarians less than 1%.
Percentage of Pre-Vets pursuing Wildlife/Conservation work greater than 50%. *

* At least 25% plan on practicing in Africa after graduating from Vet School.
** This survey is completely anecdotal and only serves to highlight the detachment from reality experienced by undergrads.

Reactions: 11 users

** This survey is completely anecdotal and only serves to highlight the detachment from reality experienced by undergrads.

I'm guilty of this! :arghh: I know its a long shot but I truly loved working in zoo med and hope to pursue it in vet school. I know the odds aren't in my favor but I'm going to try at least. I hear having a few contacts in the field is helpful..? No plans on practicing in Africa though haha

Did you guys ever watch Wild at Heart? It was on Netflix for a while. That was the closest I came to wanting to be a wildlife vet.

I'm guilty of this! :arghh: I know its a long shot but I truly loved working in zoo med and hope to pursue it in vet school. I know the odds aren't in my favor but I'm going to try at least. I hear having a few contacts in the field is helpful..? No plans on practicing in Africa though haha
Working in wildlife rehab actually isn't that much of a longshot, though. You may just get paid practically nothing, if you get paid at all. There are so many ways any vet in any career could make time for wildlife if it's something you're interested in.

The odds will never be in my favor but I'm trying lol. I eventually want to get into wildlife population health but will settle for exotic private practice until such a job opens up.

My dad was speaking with a vet at our clinic about AI. The assistant who was with her wanted to be a vet. Her question "What is AI?"

My dad was speaking with a vet at our clinic about AI. The assistant who was with her wanted to be a vet. Her question "What is AI?"
Sure....I don't know what artificial intelligence has to do with veterinary medicine anyway.

Be careful with things you think are obvious.

Reactions: 15 users
I have several classmates who didn't know what AI was when we talked about it in a swine lecture :shrug: Depends on what your experience is in.

Reactions: 4 users
I have several classmates who didn't know what AI was when we talked about it in a swine lecture :shrug: Depends on what your experience is in.
Lol, I know what it is and I still have to think about it sometimes.

Edit: Also, I respect people that actually ask questions when they don't know, or at least look it up later. You don't learn just by being physically present, although I wish that were the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Yes, this. I always tell these kids "that's awesome that you want to do that, and maybe you'll actually get to do it, but I wouldn't spend the money on vet school unless you'd still feel satisfied if you ended up in clinical practice." Wish someone had told me that.

I once had a friend tell me "I just can't see you spending your days vaccinating fluffy little poodles for old ladies - you're to smart for that and you'd be bored out of your mind!" I said that it didn't matter because I wouldn't do that - if I didn't get into wildlife/conservation stuff, I'd do public health or something else. What do I actually do? Work for a corporate practice inside a pet supply store, which is one of the most mind-numbingly boring jobs ever. I wish someone had made me consider whether that would be an acceptable backup plan before applying to vet school, because I could have told them at the time that it wouldn't be.

True statement. I guess I should also explain this clinic is a mixed animal practice that also includes a collection area/ room where they AI dogs. Plus it's located in a very agricultural area. Guess it was assumed that if your clinic does it on a daily basis you'd know about it .

But I'm a sci fi geek too, and I'll admit I too have to sift through my geek world and my real world time to time !

This doesn't have to do with the topic as much, but still annoying! Every single time someone asks what my major is, I reply with "Biology". The response I ALWAYS get is "OMG so pre-med, what kind of doctor do you want to be?" Not every bio major is a pre-med :smack:

Another funny thing that happened the other day, some girl asked why I'm majoring in bio and I said pre-vet and she goes "well what do you want to do with that"..... REALLY.

I used to have to tell people that I was a Bio major even though my degree is in Liberal Arts, because they would tell me there is no way I'd ever get in not being a science major.

Another funny thing that happened the other day, some girl asked why I'm majoring in bio and I said pre-vet and she goes "well what do you want to do with that"..... REALLY.
I've had similar conversations. "Wow, vet school, so you want to be a veterinarian?" No, I just felt like putting myself $250k in debt and spending all my time studying for fun. To be fair this girl could have meant do you want to do small animal, large animal, research, industry, internship/residency, etc. But I don't think most people outside of vet med realize there are options beyond just small or large animal GP.

ETA: Also this thread is similar to this one and pretty funny: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-hearing-you-are-going-to-vet-school.914070/

"So how's vet school, pp9?" "It's tough...it's taking a huge toll on my personal life, and I'm struggling a lot this year academically. I can't say I'm totally happy right now, but I'm plowing through." "What? How can you say you're not happy? You're in vet school, so many of us want this! That's so ungrateful."

K. Some pre-vets just don't understand that vet school is both the best and worst thing at the same time.

"So how's vet school, pp9?" "It's tough...it's taking a huge toll on my personal life, and I'm struggling a lot this year academically. I can't say I'm totally happy right now, but I'm plowing through." "What? How can you say you're not happy? You're in vet school, so many of us want this! That's so ungrateful."

K. Some pre-vets just don't understand that vet school is both the best and worst thing at the same time.
Ugh. I didn't like this attitude before I was in vet school, and I like it even less now. Being unhappy =/= being ungrateful. Even on the worst days, I'm still incredibly grateful to be here and would not go back to working my two crappy part-time jobs for anything. And even if someone is having a bad day/week/semester and isn't feeling particularly grateful to be in vet school, that doesn't mean their feelings aren't valid or they don't deserve to be there. I haven't seen statements like that on this forum in quite a while, at least.

Ugh. I didn't like this attitude before I was in vet school, and I like it even less now. Being unhappy =/= being ungrateful. Even on the worst days, I'm still incredibly grateful to be here and would not go back to working my two crappy part-time jobs for anything. And even if someone is having a bad day/week/semester and isn't feeling particularly grateful to be in vet school, that doesn't mean their feelings aren't valid or they don't deserve to be there. I haven't seen statements like that on this forum in quite a while, at least.
I didn't hear it too much before vet school, but my pre-vet peers that graduated with me that have yet to be accepted seem to be getting bitter now.

Sometimes I do get that moment where I think 'Holy crap, wait, I'm in vet school,' but it's often pushed away by the 'Okay, you have 10 hours of work to do in 30 minutes' type thoughts :rofl:

I found there were people for whom getting in to vet school was an important goal (not me), and there were people for whom being a vet was an important goal (that's me). I didn't ever want to go to vet school, but it was something that had to be done......and I didn't really like vet school, but it was something that had to be done. Like laundry. Doing laundry is not a long-sought-for goal and I don't like doing it, but I do want to wear clean clothes.

I used to have to tell people that I was a Bio major even though my degree is in Liberal Arts, because they would tell me there is no way I'd ever get in not being a science major.

I used to "lie" to the people who were in all my biomedical science classes with me and say that I was an English major (I was, once upon a time). Because if I said I was taking pre-reqs for vet school they INSTANTLY turned on interrogation mode: "Oh yeah? What's your GPA? What's your GRE? Where are you applying? Yeah I don't think you can get in with that!" Too many students where I was were pathologically competitive - they would sabotage anyone if they thought it would get them ahead. I avoided pre-vet students and the pre-vet club like they had herpes.

Also, everyone I ever talked to said I'd stand out in a good way with a non-traditional background. Maybe I did? I don't know.