Funny quotes from "less informed" pre-vets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This doesn't have to do with the topic as much, but still annoying! Every single time someone asks what my major is, I reply with "Biology". The response I ALWAYS get is "OMG so pre-med, what kind of doctor do you want to be?" Not every bio major is a pre-med :smack:

Another funny thing that happened the other day, some girl asked why I'm majoring in bio and I said pre-vet and she goes "well what do you want to do with that"..... REALLY.

I'm a biochem major, and in my biochem 1 class for biochem majors our professor was asking everyone what their intended plan was for after graduating, I told him I wanted to go to vet school and he said "well then why are you a biochem major and not an ANSI major?"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Recently I've been getting a lot of "Wow. You have to interview for vet school? You don't just decide where you want to go and go there?"
*sigh* No, I wish..

Reactions: 1 users
"Oh, you have a puppy? In December? It's really rare for dogs to have puppies in the winter; oh sorry, Pre-vet student here."
A girl on campus told my boyfriend and I this when our dog was a puppy. He just looked at me as I shook my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
"So how's vet school, pp9?" "It's tough...it's taking a huge toll on my personal life, and I'm struggling a lot this year academically. I can't say I'm totally happy right now, but I'm plowing through." "What? How can you say you're not happy? You're in vet school, so many of us want this! That's so ungrateful."

K. Some pre-vets just don't understand that vet school is both the best and worst thing at the same time.

I think it's time for you to re-read this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-what-it-takes-to-be-a-veterinarian.1114225/

Not out of like, spite, or digging up old crap. But because NOW you get it. You understand that deep, deep funk that exists only after having your soul sucked from your body, dementor style, by the beast we call 'veterinary school'. I know you get why I gave a resounding 'ugh' as someone halfway through fourth year and seven years deep in this forum, when this question came up yet again.

Not mean, just no soul.

You get it now.

cQRP1Jy.png

Reactions: 5 users

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-what-it-takes-to-be-a-veterinarian.1114225/

Not out of like, spite, or digging up old crap. But because NOW you get it. You understand that deep, deep funk that exists only after having your soul sucked from your body, dementor style, by the beast we call 'veterinary school'. I know you get why I gave a resounding 'ugh' as someone halfway through fourth year and seven years deep in this forum, when this question came up yet again.

Not mean, just no soul.

You get it now.

cQRP1Jy.png

Just re-read that.... I think we need another cheese, bacon, potato discussion. :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
I've decided now that when I get professorship in a few years, I'm going to find pinkpuppy and be a dick to her. A real big one. For sure.

I'm going to put chewing gum in her seat and then make her come up to the front of the board and point to where there bulbourethraal glands are on the diagram.

I'm gonna make sure she gets crypto in fourth year on ambulatory service and then tell her she's overreacting and in the real world of veterinary medicine, you gotta have a thicker skin, I mean, intestinal lining.

I'm going to make her go dumpster diving when we forget to sample the ileocolic lymph nodes from a horse and chew her out when she pulls out the jejunal nodes instead because as we all know any vet student worth their salt knows the difference (and if she'd taken the EDIVET course then psh maybe she'd know).

I'm gonna give everyone in the class bacon-wrapped chocolate except her; I'm going to give her a potato and tell her if she had just chilled the **** out, she wouldn't be holding a potato right now.

DEAL WITH IT

deal-with-it-o.gif
As a stressed out 4th year student currently on my path rotation (and taking NAVLE tomorrow) who took out the jejunal lymph nodes on accident because I didn't realize the history said that an iliac lymph node was enlarged on ultrasound and needed to be retrieved and then had to pull my dog's body out of the garbage bags to get the lymph nodes...this hits way too close to home :rofl:

Is it bad that I'm a first year and and I'm already passing the occasional side eye at pre vets that are so ready to be here? Want a day in the life? I literally just sit in the classroom, get increasingly annoyed, come home at night and decompress, and then come back at 8 the next day to repeat the cycle. I'm glad liking vet school isn't in the job description. Just putting up with it :p

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a history major and once had a girl tell me I wouldn't be accepted because students with bio majors are smarter.

Um, i'm getting a history degree, teachin license, AND have taken 35+ more credits than I ever needed for science pre reqs

Not mean, just no soul.

You get it now.

cQRP1Jy.png
Nah, I still don't see the point of the attitude you guys gave in this thread, but it's in the past.

Some would say I've been without a soul for many years now anyways, though...so there's that.

Edit: Not trying to refuel the fire here, but my approach to that thread still would have been "That course isn't going to do squat for you in vet school, but you do you" instead of what was said by several different people. Being miserable or 'soulless' in vet school doesn't give someone a ticket to judge and be condescending, contrary to popular belief.

Last edited:

Not mean, just no soul.

You get it now.

cQRP1Jy.png

Just re-read that.... I think we need another cheese, bacon, potato discussion. :laugh:

I think "what the potato" is officially becoming my first reaction to everything

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Edit:

Hahaha sorry put in wrong place !

Since this has fallen silent...

So moved to new city, met this girl the other day, she asked me why I moved here, said for medical school.

Her response: "omg, that's so cool, I was thinking of applying to medical school this year!"
Me: "oh really? Did you decide to take a year off instead or something?"
Her: " well yeah I have a lot to do still"
Me: "oh like more prereqs? MCAT? ECs?"
Her: "Everything. I haven't done any of it yet. I only took one bio class in college. But I want to be a dermatologist. Maybe next year."
Me: "oh wow. Give yourself time..."

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I kid you not, I had a technician at one of the clinics I worked for tell me she was going to go to tech school then "transfer" to A&M for vet school.

Through the conversation following I ascertained that she really did think she could transfer in to vet school from tech school. Not transfer to A&M to take her prereqs, she thought she could go straight in to vet school from a vet tech program. It was early in the morning and I had not had enough caffeine to be tactful so I did not take the time to explain to her how the application process worked. I figured if she really wanted to be a vet she could google it.

My freshman year of undergrad I was in a lab group with a vegan girl who claimed to be pre-vet but refused to touch any of the animals we dissected in that lab. She refused to answer us when we asked her what she was going to do in vet school if she got in to vet school, because anatomy lab would require touching dead things.

Percentage of Wildlife/Conservation Veterinarians less than 1%.
Percentage of Pre-Vets pursuing Wildlife/Conservation work greater than 50%. *

* At least 25% plan on practicing in Africa after graduating from Vet School.
** This survey is completely anecdotal and only serves to highlight the detachment from reality experienced by undergrads.

This is true for actual veterinary students, I've found.

It kind of is. We have houses and JK Rowling lives in town and is sometimes at the vet school.

And she still hasn't made ligamentum arteriosum a spell in the Harry Potter world. Tell that woman she's failing us.

Reactions: 12 users
Veterinary shadow at my clinic currently applying, "I only have 50 hours of veterinary experience but that should be good enough for most schools right?" I may have unintentionally become a dream crusher that day

I saw a thread like this in another part of SDN and could not help but think how relevant it is to those of us that are pre-veterinary. Because many of us are playing the waiting game right now, and we need something to lighten our spirits I'll go first.

A nice girl in my o chem lab last year told me she wasn't going to take biochem (even thought its a pre-requisite for a school she ALREADY applied to) because once she gets in she can "take it there and then finish the rest of the credits for her bachelors degree her first year of vet school."

I also once heard from a freshman that their first choice is medical school but if that doesn't work out he's going to apply to our in state vet school "as a back up".

A pre-med in one of my labs in undergrad said something to the same effect, that vet school would be her back up plan, and a bunch of other pre-meds were sitting there nodding like "oh that's a good idea." I was so stunned, I just sat there and just stared at her. I don't know how many times I said to others that vet school is harder to get into than med school!

A pre-med in one of my labs in undergrad said something to the same effect, that vet school would be her back up plan, and a bunch of other pre-meds were sitting there nodding like "oh that's a good idea." I was so stunned, I just sat there and just stared at her. I don't know how many times I said to others that vet school is harder to get into than med school!

Acceptance rate-wise, med school is harder to get into and you generally need a higher GPA than for vet school. But considering that you need so many hours of experience for vet school, it really does not make a good back-up unless you've been working hard for both applications!

Acceptance rate-wise, med school is harder to get into and you generally need a higher GPA than for vet school. But considering that you need so many hours of experience for vet school, it really does not make a good back-up unless you've been working hard for both applications!

It's crazy going over to pre-allo and seeing how few clinical hours pre-meds need.

I don't know how many times I said to others that vet school is harder to get into than med school!

Stop saying that. It's simply not true. Getting into vet school is hard, no doubt, but statwise we're about as competitive as mid-tier to low end MD programs and all DO programs. Obviously nowhere near mid to high end MD programs. The clinical hours thing is true, but not to the degree that I thought before starting school. I can tell you that several of my classmates have primarily research experience with limited clinical knowledge. I was actually kind of shocked to find out how little some of them know about the basics of clinical practice. I'd imagine that would only take about a year's work to turn a decent med school application into a decent vet school app. If these people think that can just apply to vet school at the same time then a "lol no" is definitely applicable. The whole vet school as a backup to med school thing is definitely a holdover from 40 years ago when it actually was a backup but it's really not helped by thumping our chests and saying stuff that's not true.

Stop saying that. It's simply not true. Getting into vet school is hard, no doubt, but statwise we're about as competitive as mid-tier to low end MD programs and all DO programs. Obviously nowhere near mid to high end MD programs. The clinical hours thing is true, but not to the degree that I thought before starting school. I can tell you that several of my classmates have primarily research experience with limited clinical knowledge. I was actually kind of shocked to find out how little some of them know about the basics of clinical practice. I'd imagine that would only take about a year's work to turn a decent med school application into a decent vet school app. If these people think that can just apply to vet school at the same time then a "lol no" is definitely applicable. The whole vet school as a backup to med school thing is definitely a holdover from 40 years ago when it actually was a backup but it's really not helped by thumping our chests and saying stuff that's not true.

It used to be true, before vet schools started increasing their class sizes and new vet schools opened up. And even then, it wasn't "harder" as much as it was "more competitive ".

Going to reiterate the, "Money doesn't matter, just where I go to school and what the school has". :rolleyes: I am definitely starting to get the eye roll feel that older SDNers have expressed in the past.

Reactions: 4 users
A girl was volunteering at work on and off this year. She had some great WTF moments.

As she was helping me clean, she asked what I get paid. I told her. She said 'Oh, I would never do this job for that' . . . as she was cleaning barrels for nothing. What?

A girl was volunteering at work on and off this year. She had some great WTF moments.

As she was helping me clean, she asked what I get paid. I told her. She said 'Oh, I would never do this job for that' . . . as she was cleaning barrels for nothing. What?

Actually, I totally get that. There are things I will do volunteering that I would not do for $X. The work I do volunteering is work I do not because it isn't worth earning money for, it's because I'm donating the equivalent $X to the group when I do it. If I am going to work to earn money, then I'm not interested in giving $X away - I am interested in earning $Y.

If I was going to be earning $X (instead of $Y), I would choose to earn it a different way, doing something I like more (for whatever reason - hours, location, tasks, etc). And it's especially true for for-profit groups/companies, where no one should be donating any work, IMO, and everyone should be paid at least minimum wage for their work.

Actually, I totally get that. There are things I will do volunteering that I would not do for $X. The work I do volunteering is work I do not because it isn't worth earning money for, it's because I'm donating the equivalent $X to the group when I do it. If I am going to work to earn money, then I'm not interested in giving $X away - I am interested in earning $Y.

If I was going to be earning $X (instead of $Y), I would choose to earn it a different way, doing something I like more (for whatever reason - hours, location, tasks, etc). And it's especially true for for-profit groups/companies, where no one should be donating any work, IMO, and everyone should be paid at least minimum wage for their work.

In this particular case I don't think this person wanted to donate $X. She was hoping she could get Z from us - a great line for her vet school apps and connections with people in the school - and she hated being asked to do anything. But that (donating time) is how I think about volunteering, and it's probably true for most people.

There was a lot of confusion about what this girl's role as a volunteer. Initially she was supposed to help out, since we had to pay insurance for her to be there (that's what was explained to me, but I'm not sure if it's totally accurate? I was a shadow here for two years and I know I was responsible for my own health if something happened). Now the protocol has changed and 'volunteers' are what I was as a shadow, so they're not actually doing work that should earn money, they're observing.

Last edited:
"What's your major?"

"Pre-vet."
Interestingly enough, my school actually does have a "pre-veterinary" major. We all started out in the animal science major and then in your junior year you either declare a concentration in animal science or you switch your major into pre-veterinary, so that is your official major on your diploma.

Interestingly enough, my school actually does have a "pre-veterinary" major. We all started out in the animal science major and then in your junior year you either declare a concentration in animal science or you switch your major into pre-veterinary, so that is your official major on your diploma.
What happens if you never get into vet school? Since TBH I don't know what else you really could do with a pre-vet degree

That's a pointless degree. Definitely graduate with the animal science one and get the vet school pre-reqs. Stupid schools making pointless, unemployable degrees.

"Why do you want to be a vet?"

"Because I hate people duh!" (Never worked in a clinic or hospital)

Oh my friend, you have a big surprise coming for you...

"I was waitlisted this year and they told me to get more clinical experience, so I'm just shadowing non-clinical vets (path) for about 20 hours this summer and reapplying."

o_O

In all fairness, this was a crazy smart person and I'm surprised he was waitlisted. (Brilliant grades, low hours) But uh, if the director of admissions wants to see more hours in a clinic, shadowing necropsy isn't the way to go.

"I was waitlisted this year and they told me to get more clinical experience, so I'm just shadowing non-clinical vets (path) for about 20 hours this summer and reapplying."

o_O

In all fairness, this was a crazy smart person and I'm surprised he was waitlisted. (Brilliant grades, low hours) But uh, if the director of admissions wants to see more hours in a clinic, shadowing necropsy isn't the way to go.
20 hours is also not the number they'll want to see after getting that specific feedback - like a drop in the bucket compared to most applicants

Reactions: 3 users