Mantras/motivational quotes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnandburn

DVM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any mantras or motivational quotes they use to help them get through difficult times? My mantra was "it sucks right now, but it isn't going to suck forever!" :) I think I just needed to acknowledge to myself at the time that missing a party, or staying home yet again to study DID suck, but remind myself that things would improve, and they have.

What gets you through your grind (whatever grind that might be?)

Members don't see this ad.

If you figure out a way to retire at 65 you only have 11,686 days left. You can do anything for 11,686 days. 😂 😂

I'm not the best at mantras... clearly.

(The first time I looked up how many days until my 65th birthday it was high 12,000 or low 13,000 soo.. we're getting there. Lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Fake it till I make it!

Has worked out pretty well so far.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you figure out a way to retire at 65 you only have 11,686 days left. You can do anything for 11,686 days. 😂 😂

I'm not the best at mantras... clearly.

(The first time I looked up how many days until my 65th birthday it was high 12,000 or low 13,000 soo.. we're getting there. Lol)

Mine wasn't the most motivational either but it worked for me! 😅

"This is terrible. Keep going."

Mostly my mantra for killer runs, but slowly crept into my vocabulary for last semester which was... less than fun.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my friends said this to me when I was panicking about life one time:

"If it doesn't scare you at least a little bit, is it really worth doing?"

I keep a list lol

'This is what I do for now until I can do more' is a really big one.

'What so we say to the god of death 'Not today.' And other GoT quotes.

Feel the fear but do it anyway is another big one.

And lastly 'Never tell me the odds' but only in certain situations 😅

I work in the teaching hospital and I seem to always be called in between midnight and 3am. I tell myself it’s building character and toughening me up :heckyeah:

I also like “experience is the teacher of all things” by Julius Caesar and “whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right” by Henry Ford.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in the teaching hospital and I seem to always be called in between midnight and 3am. I tell myself it’s building character and toughening me up :heckyeah:

I also like “experience is the teacher of all things” by Julius Caesar and “whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right” by Henry Ford.

I've been thinking I can win the lottery for years, very strongly thinking I can, so why haven't I been right yet? :unsure: 😂

• Haha
I have a lot of song quotes and video game quotes (mostly from Hamilton and Undertale) that make sense with context

I also consider the idea of a Phoenix often; rising from the ashes. Especially with covid and everything burning down around me, it's been an empowering image.

Reactions: 1 users
Some quotes that I really like:

“The Pessimist Sees Difficulty In Every Opportunity. The Optimist Sees Opportunity In Every Difficulty.” – Winston Churchil

“You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.” – Unknown

“Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today.” – Will Rogers

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." Dread Pirate Roberts to Westley in the Princess Bride

I find most inspirational quotes to be a little too inspiring - they seem unattainable, and I like dark humor. But this one, I can relate. Do what you can today, because who knows what tomorrow will bring.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm odd, the unmotivational posters make me happy....

5d362a220a3526b910e3561b4d50d8e0.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I like the last lines from Mary Oliver's poem The Summer Day:

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

The rest of the poem is lovely, too, and has a bit of a different feel.
I love this quote, and Mary Oliver. She really shares some good thoughts to live by.

When I was in clinics: "when in doubt, fluids and prayers" :laugh: Now that I'm in residency "at least I don't have to do on call" really keeps me going on tough days 😂

• Haha