Fax Services For Scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used any of the fax services (ie. residencyplace.com or imgresidency.com) for the scramble? Are these services legit? I know some of you may say "why not do it yourself...at least you know your application materials were faxed". Well, if these services are legit, and can fax more programs in a shorter amount of time than me manually doing one program at a time, it would much more advantageous. It looks as if I have to pay at least 450.00 for this process.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever used any of the fax services (ie. residencyplace.com or imgresidency.com) for the scramble? Are these services legit? I know some of you may say "why not do it yourself...at least you know your application materials were faxed". Well, if these services are legit, and can fax more programs in a shorter amount of time than me manually doing one program at a time, it would much more advantageous. It looks as if I have to pay at least 450.00 for this process.

i dont know much about these either. i wonder if anyone else has used them, and if it would make it any easier for the applicants in the scramble?
there are companies like efax as well? not sure which is the fastest though.

just imagine if the server crashed at one of those sites on the day of scramble?

are u willing to risk an year for that??

those companies are another money making scheme. They should give you the % of applicants that they have helped gain a spot in the scramble using their service. I bet is very low.

i understand that, but some of those services say they dont flood programs, they just help u fax and email, do u know about those?

I truly would avoid it at all costs and go read AProgDirector's sticky on scrambling. If you are willing to risk losing time and potentially a spot because a disinterested third party is sending out your stuff and may not get to it for XXXX amount of time....then use their services. Personally, I think it would be in the best interest of most people to fax their documents themselves... then you are guaranteed when they go out and how they go out... and can immediately follow up with a phone call. Just my 2 cents.

Well, just from reading a few sites, it seems that faxing yourself would be the best option. Since you may (likely to happen considering the thousands of applicants out there) get a busy signal when you call/fax, you may only have the opportunity to get in touch with a handful of programs. Yes, you have the 30 ERAS applications (you are limited to only 30, you cannot pay for more), but for those programs that are not participating in ERAS, your only option is to call and fax your application materials. You also have to take into account the time it takes to fax all the documents, AND on top of that, possible busy signals will further delay your time. So, that is why paying a website a couple hundred dollars to do all of this for you may not be worth it. Yes, I have thought about it...but, how can you be guaranteed that your application materials were ever sent AND RECEIVED? The website may tell you they sent it, but in reality, they were only able to send a handful of applications out. So, in the end you'd be down a couple hundred dollars, got ripped off, and had no chance with the scramble in the first place. Also, the other reasons cited above by other posters (unforeseen circumstances, like the computers crashing, computers not being able to handle the load), are also possible scenarios which could occur. Who knows what could happen?

If there was a website that can guarantee your application materials were sent out to ALL programs (via fax/email) and a guarantee that the company would have a "backup" system in place, in case any malfunction occurs, I would seriously think about spending the money for it. But, sending a couple hundred dollars to a website, you don't even know is legit to begin with, is a big risk.

Disclaimer: Well, I have not participated in the scramble before, but from reading several sites where posters have described the process, I am getting an idea how the process could work. I, too, will be participating in this year's scramble. These are my opinions...Good luck to all.

People still use faxes? Really? Why?

I would add to this that many program fax machines become overwhelmed. Each application faxed through is often 20+ pages long. I have had some people fax all of their articles (full text) with their applications. We often have to turn the fax machine off to stop the waste of paper.

I highly recommend calling programs. If they are interested, most programs have a "private" fax number that they will give you to send your information. There will be many busy signals, prepare to cycle through numbers and/or use redial.

I've seen the one in my residency program be turned off as well, if only because its in the program coordinators office and she couldn't stand the 24/7 sound of the FAX machine.

I understand from other users that these scrambling services claim a 25% "get through" rate. Doesn't seem so great to me.

My comment is on 25% get through part only. This is much higher than what one can achieve with a lot of friends heling on the scramble day. One should expect 2-5% max.

By the way on a different subject, yesterday e-mailing and faxing the programs was the only way to get through. ERAS kept bumping people off. The worst part that programs did not receive applications even 6 hours after it was submitted. The message was saying "You have withdrawn yourself from this program".

I wouldn't recommend to rely on any service 100%. But at the same time it definitely gives one an edge in addition to what you can do yourself.