Fear of Practicing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjmanutd24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a bit of backstory first:
I`m a Veterinarian from India, I graduated in 2016 and moved to the states soon after.
Recently I completed my ECFVG and NAVLE and am in the process of getting my State License.

The problem :
I`m scared to start practicing at a hospital. For the past 2 years Ive been working as a Vet Tech and I have observed how hospitals and practitioners function here as compared to back in India, and working as a tech really did help me with my tests, my hands on practice is pretty great. But I graduated nearly 2.5 years ago and I haven't technically worked as "Doctor" since my final 6 months in vet school!

Ideally I would love to get into a Rotating Internship (waiting for the match results) and hopefully that would give me some confidence and help me finesse my skills and diagnosis as well. But right now I have all this theoretical "bookish" knowledge and I am terrified of applying it to practice.

Am i the only one with this problem? I would love any help and advice from you guys.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations for getting through the licensing process. You must have been good to pass all the steps without re-taking. You are probably just anxious and so are a lot of people even from the best veterinary schools. Am sure employers do allow some room for training new clinicians. You just have to jump in and see what happens. Most clinical cases aren't complicated anyway and you can always ask someone in the hierarchy to help where you have doubts.

You're certainly not the only one who feels that way, but if you were able to pass the ECFVG and NAVLE, you've got what you need to deal with at least 80% of what walks in the door! My recommendation would be to find a good clinic that is willing to support you with time and help, rather than doing an internship. I'm sure you'll do fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations for getting through the licensing process. You must have been good to pass all the steps without re-taking. You are probably just anxious and so are a lot of people even from the best veterinary schools. Am sure employers do allow some room for training new clinicians. You just have to jump in and see what happens. Most clinical cases aren't complicated anyway and you can always ask someone in the hierarchy to help where you have doubts.

Thank you!
Glad to know it isnt just me. Its just nerve wracking when you start a new job I guess.
I would definitely need a few months of mentorship just to get used to it. I guess the more face time i get with clients the more confident I will feel as well.

You're certainly not the only one who feels that way, but if you were able to pass the ECFVG and NAVLE, you've got what you need to deal with at least 80% of what walks in the door! My recommendation would be to find a good clinic that is willing to support you with time and help, rather than doing an internship. I'm sure you'll do fine!

Thank you!
I`m still going to try and go for an internship because I would really like to get board certified some day.
But I appreciate your advice! glad to know I`m not the only one who goes through this hehe.