Feedback from University of Michigan - IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw1913

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to have a sense of the University of Michigan feedback after Internal Medicine interview.

Has anyone interviewed at UM and had feedback from program director (s).

Would it make a difference if you get a) none; b) one letter; c) one email; and d) one letter and one hand written letter?

Are there any current residents of Internal Medicine that cangive their input?

Cheers!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I received an email and letter. I know of a few others who applied and received the same thing. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I too received both an e-mail and letter when I was applying last year. I think it's standard practice for them (or at least if you interview with the program director; I think one letter was from the program and one was from an interviewer, who happened to be the PD)

Members don't see this ad :)
I too received both an e-mail and letter when I was applying last year. I think it's standard practice for them (or at least if you interview with the program director; I think one letter was from the program and one was from an interviewer, who happened to be the PD)

Hi Tommy and thank you for your reply. I am trying to figure out whether the chances of getting ranked high by the UM program is related to which/and how many follow-up you got from that program versus not getting any follow-up at all.

I understand that although you got 2 follow-ups from UM, you matched at Duke; so you are probably an excellent candidate.

Well, I guess is trying to burn time - waiting for the "big day"

cheers:luck:

I applied for IM about 6 years ago. I applied to UM and recieved a letter saying that I would "fit in well at Michigan" I ranked them first and didn't get in.

I am a resident at UM IM. I do not remember whether or not they sent me a letter; I did match there.

Listen, if you like a program more than another program then rank that one higher. The Match is weighted towards how the matchee writes their rank list. So If you loved a more selective program, put it at the top. The worst thing that happens is you don't match and you drop lower down on your rank list. Just don't rank a less selective program higher -- unless you really want to go there -- because once the computer comes up with a match you are stuck. Use your gut to feel what it is right -- also talk your S.O, they have opinions too. Where ever you go it will be three years of your life. You want to be some place where you are happy. Prestigious program, and unhappy is a pretty miserable life.

I applied for IM about 6 years ago. I applied to UM and recieved a letter saying that I would "fit in well at Michigan" I ranked them first and didn't get in.

That's bush league! I got a card from the PD and a letter that said I'd complement the program well... I felt really good after this.

I, too, received a card from the APD who interviewed me and the same said letter from the PD. During my interview the APD implied that everyone received correspondence from the program. One of my interviewers told me that a letter or e-mail to the PD letting him know that U of M was my first choice would help my application when it was reviewed by the selection committee.

I feel that the program does a bit of "game playing" in sending these letters to many (if not all?) applicants. I am disappointed by this and feel that it is a bit unethical...or at least bad form. Nonetheless, rank U of M #1 if you really want to go there! The match really is in your favor! :)

Hi!

Anyone knows the usual start date for IM at the University of Michigan? I know is June 07, however, not sure if early june or late june. The other question for previous residents, What kind of introductory program do new interns have, how many days, etc.? When the actual on-calls starts?

Cheers:luck:

When someone compliments you in an interview or in a letter, or says you're a good match, yeah that's nice but I wouldn't take too much stock in it. Likely they're saying that to all the interviewees so that they can rank the institution high. Then, later on the program can say that they didn't go down very far on their own ranklist. It's part of the game. I'd look at all aspects of the program (residents, schedule, teaching, etc) and rank higher where you'll be happiest; don't be too swayed by the "pats on the back" you may get.

Hi!

Anyone knows the usual start date for IM at the University of Michigan? I know is June 07, however, not sure if early june or late june. The other question for previous residents, What kind of introductory program do new interns have, how many days, etc.? When the actual on-calls starts?

Interns start the wards on June 24. Orientation starts for all HOs about a week prior. Only IM interns switch on the 24th . The 2nd and 3rd years switch on the 1st -- continuity that way. All of the other specialties switch onthe 1st. In IM the attendings switch on the 1st and fellows on the 2nd.

Interns start the wards on June 24. Orientation starts for all HOs about a week prior. Only IM interns switch on the 24th . The 2nd and 3rd years switch on the 1st -- continuity that way. All of the other specialties switch onthe 1st. In IM the attendings switch on the 1st and fellows on the 2nd.

Hi Furrball2,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you can tell me about the ICU rotation during the residency. Do you liked them? What about Pulmonary? HOw are the on-call during ICU rotation.