Feedback on diversity essay topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I focus my diversity essay on?

• Option 1 - Immigrant Experience

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Option 2 - Hair

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

sputniksweetheart

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm struggling to pick the topic I should write about for the standard 'diversity' essay. I'm between a "safe" option that may sound cliché or something that's unique, but a little bit riskier? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

My first option, talking about growing in a bicultural atmosphere as an immigrant from a small middle-eastern country living in a small town in the US. I'd center this essay more on the clash between my parent's upbringing and my own, ending with an idea that I don't need to give up elements of my culture to fit it, but I can use it as a strength to connect with others more.

My second option (this is similar to the first in the sense I will be addressing my 'growth' in the same way), centering my essay around my curly hair and how it unwillingly became a symbol of my 'difference' in a small-town in the midwest despite attempts of trying to blend in with my peers. I'd use it more as an opener, but really address navigating a bicultural environment and my ultimate embrace of my background (and appreciation of multiculturalism in general) and ability to connect with other people of varied/different backgrounds, understanding each person is 'unique' in their own way, but it's those differences that enrich our lives, add new perspectives and spur our curiosity to learn, improve, etc.

I would really like to tackle on the second option more, but I don't know if it's too much of a stretch. Thank you all again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm struggling to pick the topic I should write about for the standard 'diversity' essay. I'm between a "safe" option that may sound cliché or something that's unique, but a little bit riskier? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

My first option, talking about growing in a bicultural atmosphere as an immigrant from a small middle-eastern country living in a small town in the US. I'd center this essay more on the clash between my parent's upbringing and my own, ending with an idea that I don't need to give up elements of my culture to fit it, but I can use it as a strength to connect with others more.

My second option (this is similar to the first in the sense I will be addressing my 'growth' in the same way), centering my essay around my curly hair and how it unwillingly became a symbol of my 'difference' in a small-town in the midwest despite attempts of trying to blend in with my peers. I'd use it more as an opener, but really address navigating a bicultural environment and my ultimate embrace of my background (and appreciation of multiculturalism in general) and ability to connect with other people of varied/different backgrounds, understanding each person is 'unique' in their own way, but it's those differences that enrich our lives, add new perspectives and spur our curiosity to learn, improve, etc.

I would really like to tackle on the second option more, but I don't know if it's too much of a stretch. Thank you all again.

Option 1. It allows you to talk about how you benefited growing up as a "3rd culture" kid and can better relate to others from a wide variety of backgrounds. Option 2 sounds too complainy

Reactions: 2 users
IMO hair does not make you diverse... Tell your immigrant story and be honest about how it contributed to your growth etc. As long as you're authentic, no one else has the story you do.

Definitely the first. The hair is an interesting anecdote but not enough for an essay.

Reactions: 1 user