This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangyturnip

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your boxes are already checked, so pick something that makes you happy and try to do more in that activity. If you're aiming high, though, your research could use some beefing up. You could also do both during a gap year.

While more research could help your application, I don't think it's absolutely necessary if your heart isn't in it.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Per title, looking for some advice on how I should use my gap year to strengthen any of these areas.

Clinical:
- Externship from CNA class (~40hrs)
- Medical Assistant (~300hrs, ongoing)

Shadowing:
- 40ish hours across IM/gen surg/neurology/palliative care

Volunteering:
- member of my UG’s honors program leadership board, where I did lots of event planning for charities and other community-specific initiatives, also was a mentor to freshmen students and participated in lots of admissions events (~150hrs) —> leadership
- Worked on a student-led vaccine education initiative where we disseminated community-specific information to at-risk populations (refugee, homeless, etc.) (~50hrs)
- Contact traced for local health department and am working to help operate their vaccine/health equity program (~50hrs, ongoing)

Non-clinical work experience:
- Worked as a professor’s ‘aide’ for freshmen year experience course (~200hrs) —> leadership
- Stop and shop (~250hrs)
- Basically was a teaching assistant for human a&p, calc 1, gen bio (~500hrs) —> leadership

Research:
- 250 hrs as part of summer research program concerning aquatic toxicology
-200 hrs in a neuroscience lab looking at immune responses to stress/development of mental disorders

I’m in this current gap year to beef up my clinical hrs and get more shadowing hrs. Is my volunteering “enough”? I think those experiences have taught/continue to teach me a lot about public health infrastructure, so I can def reflect on them well, but they seem weak to me idk.
Looks okay; you could beef up your shadowing and try to look for some more unique ECs
Edited to add: Unclear w/out GPA & MCAT

I personally see nothing wrong with your current ECs, but also nothing out of the ordinary. If you have a gap year, maybe try picking up something more personal or unique? Easier said than done, but point established nonetheless.

Looks okay; you could beef up your shadowing and try to look for some more unique ECs
Edited to add: Unclear w/out GPA & MCAT
I personally see nothing wrong with your current ECs, but also nothing out of the ordinary. If you have a gap year, maybe try picking up something more personal or unique? Easier said than done, but point established nonetheless.
I’m really interested in foreign languages and am semi proficient in Italian, trying to figure out how to incorporate this into an EC

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.