Feeling A Bit Lost During Dental Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaqfu2019

D1 at University of Iowa
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been shadowing my local dentist for the past couple of weeks. I'm just not too sure what to do; should I be more engaged, asking questions during procedure, or observational, just simply observing the procedure from a distance? The last thing I want is getting kicked out of the clinic because I was disturbing the dentist. He seems quite nice and explains some procedure afterwards but usually, I hold my question for after the procedure. Is this what most dental shadowing experts do or am I doing something wrong?
Edit: I read from other thread that bringing bagels or donuts once in a while (~a month or so) helps with building the relationship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been shadowing my local dentist for the past couple of weeks. I'm just not too sure what to do; should I be more engaged, asking questions during procedure, or observational, just simply observing the procedure from a distance? The last thing I want is getting kicked out of the clinic because I was disturbing the dentist. He seems quite nice and explains some procedure afterwards but usually, I hold my question for after the procedure. Is this what most dental shadowing experts do or am I doing something wrong?
Edit: I read from other thread that bringing bagels or donuts once in a while (~a month or so) helps with building the relationship.
Yup, just be a fly on the wall during procedures and ask questions afterwards. Shadowing honestly bored the life out of me, but I guess it depends on who you’re shadowing.

I had a very different shadowing experience. I asked a million questions during the procedures. Obviously in the beginning I was a fly on the wall, but as time went I would always ask questions. In fact, my dentist loved that I would ask and seemed so interested. There are many dentists who like to work in a quiet environment so I would talk the dentist and see if he/she minds asking questions. It will one hundred percent make it more interesting and relatable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the patient. If the patient looked nervous/stressed out, I would try not to ask any questions because I didn't want to somehow make them feel worse than they already did. If the patient calm and didn't seem to really care, I would ask the dentist questions while he was working.

Reactions: 1 user
I always watched the procedures silently for the most part unless I was spoken to. And if i had a question come to my mind I wrote it down on a sticky note/ note pad; I would ask it after completion. I felt this was the most professional way and was both comfortable for the patient and Doctor.

I always feel kinda awkward. It's hard to know what to do. I just watch and try not to bother anybody. The kind of patient really matters too. Some patients are super chill and I actually end up talking to them. Others seem stressed so I don't say anything.

I've shadowed a couple different dentists. With the first dentist, I didn't feel comfortable enough to ask her questions during the procedure so I would ask afterwards. The dentist I am currently shadowing is extremely open to any questions during the procedure and I love it! I feel like I have a much stronger relationship with the second dentist than the first one. Perhaps you can ask the dentist if he/she minds you asking questions during the procedure. The experience will be more enjoyable for you. But again it depends on the dentist.

Last edited:
shadowing is pretty much that, be a shadow of the dentist during procedures and later ask questions.
shadowing is not where you "learn" a lot. You will learn a bit more while volunteering and assisting.

Just keep staring at the back of their head and imagine that bald spot getting larger. Dental shadowing is, for the most part, one of the most boring, horrible experiences ever, and everyone is supposed to suffer through it. Dental schools know this. If you have the right dentist, who's engaging it can be fun but just put in the hours. I had a dentist who just flat out told me it sucks and it's boring and he sympathized with me.

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely need to get to know the dentist a bit more before knowing whether I can ask questions during procedures. TBH, I'm not the kind to person that can hold in a question, not to mention remember it after the procedure.