Feeling Depressed and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been struggling with depression and studying for the MCAT. It has been a problem. I know I can study and do well but my depressive mood make it difficult to do. I keep postponing the exam. I have difficulty concentrating and staying motivated. I feel low in energy. This is due to depression.

Any advice would be nice? Anyone in or was in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I been struggling with depression and studying for the MCAT. It has been a problem. I know I can study and do well but my depressive mood make it difficult to do. I keep postponing the exam. I have difficulty concentrating and staying motivated. I feel low in energy. This is due to depression.

Are you still in school? You really need to go visit your student health center or primary care physician to get help. I'm sure many of the MCAT folks would join me in offering our support, but we can't treat the illness for you, hon. Please, go see your physician now before things get too far out of control. Best of luck to you; I hope you feel better soon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
CNS stimulants such as caffeine may cause depression upon discontinuation of their use.
If you used caffeine as a tool to help you study, you might look at this as a potential cause for the lowered energy and depressed states youre feeling.
as was stated before me, see a professional to help you absolve this crisis.
but keep in mind the way you are feeling--you're body/mind IS trying to tell you something, you should be there to listen.

I have the same problem with life in general at certain points. Advice is hard. The biggest thing I can say is go talk to a doctor about it. Antidepressants take a while to really hit, but they may help. I also suggest forcing yourself to exercise. Setting a regular schedule that you live by with studying, and just trying your hardest. Exercise will probably make you feel better. The lack of energy is a vicious circle if you don't force yourself to do something. An hour of exercise will just help you focus better the rest of the day.

Should I cancel the June 13th, then register whenever I am ready? I have already rescheduled the MCAT twice.

Would this be a good idea?

Should I just register whenever I am ready?

I cancelled my June 13th MCAT.

Would it be hard to find a seat in july or august?

In answering to that question, availability to july/august seats are based on location. Usually, they're not that hard to find unless you live in CA.

Anyway, what you need to do know is focus on studying and raising that score. Otherwise you'll still be signing up and cancelling the test...which is fine if you're ok with donating funds to mcat testing center. For some people, a month-two months is ok for them to study if they put in 8-10 hours of hard core study each day. For others, a year to two years are put into studying for this test. If you are serious in pursuing a career as a physician, you need to focus on doing well on this test. Don't feel pressure to take it your junior/senior year if you're not ready. Register for the test when you feel confident about your score and stay with it.

"It's due to depression." And what is depression due to? Having suffered from serious depression for quite a few years I suggest you get that under control before you try to pursue a career in medicine. Maybe just take some time off. That, or just suck it up and start studying. I don't think it's possible to be healthy without exercising regularly. Sounds stupid but it's true. I can't tell you how to deal with depression since my own situation was very personal and took me a while to understand. In any case I'm very drunk and happy--and after all the **** I've been through I'm just happy to be alive. Hopefully you get it together.