Fellowship & Job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophthoudini

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the correlation between where you go for fellowship and the jobs offered when you start applying? I'm assuming its largely associated with connections (especially within academia), but what about in private practice? I ask because my residency is not exactly where I imagine settling down, but I'm curious if I need to worry more when it comes to choosing a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not really. While there are "better fellowships" than others, most times it all comes down to personalities and locations. If you are open to where you are willing to relocate to, you will have many practice options. If you are looking to be within 20 minutes of Downtown LA, not so much.

Regarding academics, I do believe that having connections will help you in the long run....not so much in private practice.

Obviously, if someone is friends with your PD, that will help.

I am curious about the correlation between where you go for fellowship and the jobs offered when you start applying? I'm assuming its largely associated with connections (especially within academia), but what about in private practice? I ask because my residency is not exactly where I imagine settling down, but I'm curious if I need to worry more when it comes to choosing a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you'll be applying for jobs in competitive markets, where you do your fellowship matters more. Going to a top program will open more doors for you and may give you a competitive advantage.

Sure, going to better training programs will help you a bit. But the most important things that employers want are: (1) good surgeon; (2) good patient care; and (3) good personality. Patients for the most part don't really care where someone did residency and barely any of them understand what fellowships are for. Patients however do know if you are nice or an a**hole.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the above posters that it definitely in the end boils down to how you treat the patients.
HOWEVER, I will say that given the choice for fellowship, all else being equal, it is a smart idea to choose the one that has better name recognition with the general public. You would be surprised how many patients have blind trust in you because you have harvard or yale or stanford on your resume vs Bascom Palmer which a lot of patients havent heard of, simply because of the name recognition. I have had patients switch their care to me simply because of this.

I feel like overall patients like
1) local guys and girls (aka trained in the location they are practicing) because they know the universities and hospitals in the area and their own families have been treated at places you trained
2) training with name recognition if you dont plan on staying where you trained

But I think overall, you go where you think you will get the best exposure to pathology, can form the closest bond with your mentors (believe me, you will have a LOT of questions your first few years out and you want them to be accessible) and get good surgical training

Reactions: 1 user
If you are open to where you are willing to relocate to, you will have many practice options. If you are looking to be within 20 minutes of Downtown LA, not so much.

Regarding academics, I do believe that having connections will help you in the long run....not so much in private practice.

I respectfully disagree. We know of many people who went solo in the most competitive areas- and are thriving. In places like Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Philly etc. Sure it’s easier to open up in a less saturated area, but a good product is a good product and will succeed no matter where you are.

My co-blogger opened up in Silicon Valley, which isn’t exactly a underserved area. He’s doing just fine: I Have Chosen…Wisely

Pick the fellowship with the best clinical training so you’ll be prepared to provide top notch cutting edge expertise for your patients.

Reactions: 1 user