female neurologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kapMD/PhD

T-1 yr
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an M2 in the MD/PhD program, and I have my heart set on neurology. I definately want a home life and family at some point, I wanted to know what the general feeling was regarding women in neurology, and the dificulty that is faced during preganancy and having a "family life" because of the demands of the profession. I'd love to hear from other ladies who are interested in neurology or who are already neurologists. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well not a woman but I can tell you that in my pd and assistant pd both managed to have children during residency and I don't think either of them is much over worked and both seem to have a pretty good home life.

I know that it varies from place to place but at my program, you can't find an attending after 4:30PM unless they are on call, and if they are on call, of course they rarely come in as senior residents can handle most things.

Now on the non-academic side of things, I can tell you that most neurologist I worked with had nice laid back office hours. Could be busy if it was your day to take consults/inapatient but the task was shared between partners.

In summary, in neurology you can be very very busy if you want to be. But if you want a family life, you can still make a nice liviing if you cut back some of your work a bit. Neuro is a very family friendly specialty

Members don't see this ad :)
to the OP: Yeah I have been thinking about neurology too, as a female, although I thought the male/female ratio was more balanced. I do think that it is very familiy friendly. As the field of neuroscience continues to expand, I hope neuro will too. Are you doing your PhD in neuroscience? Good luck

etudiante04 said:
to the OP: Yeah I have been thinking about neurology too, as a female, although I thought the male/female ratio was more balanced. I do think that it is very familiy friendly. As the field of neuroscience continues to expand, I hope neuro will too. Are you doing your PhD in neuroscience? Good luck
No = my PhD is in physiology. thanks for your help.i'm looking forward to it