Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

female = urm? kinda?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by pezzoil, 09.23.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. pezzoil

pezzoil

not really? i'm just wondering. i saw on MCAT data that average, composite scores for females were 1 pt lower than for males. i can't see one point really making a huge difference however. so does being a girl give you any edge whatsoever in this process?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GunnarBronson

GunnarBronson

Other Health Professions Student
  4. AlteredScale

AlteredScale Staff Member SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not really, medical schools have made it a priority to accept and even amount between sexes.

yogaGirl323 likes this.
  5. ananasmed

ananasmed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, certainly not URM. However, I did notice that DMU's Class of 2018 is only 38% female and CCOM's Class of 2017 is 33% female, as per their respective admissions websites. I thought that was interesting, as I was under the impression that schools do strive for that ~50/50 split. Not sure if this is because, perhaps, fewer females applied? Or what. Just sharing my observation.

Zelda840 likes this.
  6. pezzoil

pezzoil

yeah sorry, i know URM is TOTALLY the wrong word, i just had a long day and that's what popped into my head

but yeah @ananasmed i also noticed AZCOM's matriculating class last year was only 32% female. that's crazy low! i couldn't find any data in the "what are my chances" graphs broken down into female / male, but i suspect there is indeed a slight advantage conveyed by being female. also, med schools only reached gender parity in 2008. that is very recent. so the gender distribution of practicing physicians is still waaay skewed male

ananasmed likes this.
  7. cliquesh

cliquesh 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My class was like 58% women.

ananasmed and chizledfrmstone like this.
  8. ananasmed

ananasmed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah I think it's likely to be highly variable year to year, school to school...

pezzoil likes this.
  9. pezzoil

pezzoil

upload_2014-9-23_16-35-12.jpeg

edit: one cold day doesn't mean global warming is a hoax, and one 58% female med school class doesn't mean medicine doesn't still have a historic gender imbalance

Last edited: 09.23.14
  10. cliquesh

cliquesh 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I seriously doubt there is discrimination towards women during the admission process. There is still probably discrimination against women during the residency process, at least for some specialities and some specific residencies. Medicine, in general, is not a family friendly career and it kind of sucks when you have muiltple co-residents out on maternity leave. The already ****ty schedule gets extra ****ty.

IslandStyle808 and O Grady like this.
  11. O Grady

O Grady Giggity! 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol my class is 62% male. Total sausage-fest.

Edit: Just saw ananasmed already mentioned that

ananasmed likes this.
  12. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    First, take a stats course.

Second, no, being female doesn't give you an advantage, unless you count the trend over the past decade that more women are entering medicine than men, and that by the 2040s, a significant majority of doctors will be women!

gyngyn and OsteopathicHopeful like this.

About the ads