URM Low uGPA. Advice on next steps!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldoc312

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an african american senior Biology Major that is graduating within the next 3 weeks with a bachelors degree. My cumulative gpa unfortunately will be around a 2.6 or 2.7. I know that my stats are extremely low. I graduated high school with 3.78 gpa, and was accepted into 18 schools. Due to a rough home environment I was not able to consider any option besides a local public university.

My undergrad experience has not been the easiest. I've dealt with various forms of physical and mental abuse from my father all of my life. This unfortunately has reflected on my transcript. Choosing another career path is not an option for me. This has and always will be dream.

I have completed most of my premed requirements, so a career changer post bacc is not an option for me. I have yet to take Organic Chem II as well as Gen Physics I and II. While I do have three years of research experience, I did not not attain any shadowing or volunteering hours.

A week after graduation I will be starting a position as a research technician in a lab at an out of state public university. I am confused to what exactly my next steps should be. What exactly are my options? I know that it won't be easy by any means but I am determined. Are there any academic record post bacc programs that I could apply to with my gpa (ideally with linkage to increase my chances)? I am not considering Caribbean schools, and I am open to ultimately attending a DO or MD institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Heyy, How are you a biology major and never took Organic Chm? Anywho, There is a new program that just emerged, check out West Liberty bridge program with WVSOM, they are still accepting apps until June I believe. Here's the post: New medical school bridge program (graduate)

Keep your head up! Other options are to get back in school and take those courses. Do you have to graduate now? You need those courses for most programs.

My recommendation: Two years of post-bacc coursework in the sciences with a 3.8+ GPA; study hard for MCAT and score 505+; gain excellent volunteering and clinical healthcare experience (consider getting CNA certification).

But before doing the above, fix your personal situation so that you're able to perform at your best. If negative influences continue to affect you in the future, then you will have the same bad results that you've had before. This is going to be a long journey, and you have to make sure you're mentally, spiritually, and physically prepared.

I hope to see you back on SDN in a few years telling us about your acceptance. Nothing beats a good redemption story.

There is a new program that just emerged, check out West Liberty bridge program with WVSOM, they are still accepting apps until June I believe. Here's the post: New medical school bridge program (graduate)

That program has a 3.0 minimum GPA requirement, a criterion which OP doesn't meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendation: Two years of post-bacc coursework in the sciences with a 3.8+ GPA; study hard for MCAT and score 505+; gain excellent volunteering and clinical healthcare experience (consider get CNA certification).

But before doing the above, fix your personal situation so that you're able to perform at your best. If negative influences continue to affect you in the future, then you will have the same bad results that you've had before. This is going to be a long journey, and you have to make sure you're mentally, spiritually, and physically prepared.

I hope to see you back on SDN in a few years telling us about your acceptance. Nothing beats a good redemption story.

That program has a 3.0 minimum GPA requirement, a criterion which OP doesn't meet.

Right, on another link it states 2.6 but science has to be a 2.8 so that won't work. I agree with above poster diy post bacc will be the best.
It is possible just takes hard work, dedication and patience. Good luck to you!!

My recommendation: Two years of post-bacc coursework in the sciences with a 3.8+ GPA; study hard for MCAT and score 505+; gain excellent volunteering and clinical healthcare experience (consider getting CNA certification).

Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely work to resolve my personal situation so that I can perform best. How many credits do you think would be enough in the two years of post bacc coursework?

Right, on another link it states 2.6 but science has to be a 2.8 so that won't work. I agree with above poster diy post bacc will be the best.
It is possible just takes hard work, dedication and patience. Good luck to you!!
Thank you for the well wishes!

Reactions: 1 user