few interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DontHurtMeNoMore

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

i am a 4th year student at a top 40 school. Applying right now to both IM and Anesthesia. I have a low step 1 and i just took step 2 CS and CK. My home program didnt think my low score would be tooo much of a issue as long as i applied broadly which i have. Its mid oct and i have so few interviews in both fields, that i am very worried that i am not going to match into anything. I dont have any failures to date or gap years or anything like that.

i was thinking its because i took step 2 so late and that school want to see that i at least passed the thing, but honestly i have no idea.

im so afraid at this time that i wish i applied to family med and psych because i want to match into something.

Members don't see this ad.

Time for a rant:
This is the general concern (amongst GME) that UME isn't entirely aware of what's going on with GME. UME has difficulty with career advice, financial education, and pharmacology education. UME will graduate people who can't match (think of people who failed a board exam twice) instead of breaking it to them at an earlier point in their career that they should pursue other interests.

For you:
Don't entirely give up hope, but not having step 2 scores available will hurt you because many programs put Step 1 filters in place to mow through the multiplied number of applications we used to receive. Some programs will look at each individual application. But board scores are a reality of the review. Low step 1 with no comparison to improvement to Step 2 isn't an advantage obviously.

For IM, continue evaluating other programs in your region and apply to them. Work any connections you find.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have so few in each, does this mean you have at least 4 interviews?

It's still not too late to apply to more programs. I'm applying this cycle and it's my general impression that anesthesia interviews are harder to come by this cycle. I have a few friends with low-215-220 step 1's that significantly improved on their step 2 (250's) and they're kinda struggling for anesthesia invites. Hopefully things pick up.

i have applied to quite a few already, i spoke with my program and they told me that adding a few more to my current list wont change anything (this was when eras was about to open.) I havent heard anything so i am assume i will be getting a flood of rejections soon.

i have applied to quite a few already, i spoke with my program and they told me that adding a few more to my current list wont change anything (this was when eras was about to open.) I havent heard anything so i am assume i will be getting a flood of rejections soon.

How many anesthesia and IM programs did you apply to?

basically everywhere minus the places i have no chance at all ie (hopkins, etc)