Filling foreign rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twizzlers713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a tech at CVS :thumbdown: and my PIC is on vacation this week, so we had a floater this weekend. When we opened, an American girl who lives in Europe brought us a script in Russian, which the floater proceeded to fill. Rph took 3 full hours, 180 minutes, editing, translating, entering a FOREIGN physician into our system, and eventually filling. This was for depakote, 300mg. Rph instructed patient to OPEN the 250mg capsules and pour a fraction of the powder into water and drink along with a capsule, :eek:. I took no part in filling the rx or even interacting with the patient, as I was almost positive that it should have been taken care quickly when we realized the script wasn't from the USA.

TLDR

1. Is filling foreign prescriptions legal here? I am told no.
2. My store is in hot water as it is, should I fear for my PIC's license and/or employment? Even thought she wasn't around today?
3. Should I have done more to prevent this from occurring? I plan on quitting CVS in 6 weeks so I'm laying low

Thanks for any advice

as a side note, the patient sat quite quietly and politely for the full duration of this ordeal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
O floaters aren't they great. From what I know the Rx must be written by a licensed U.S. physician because one time some lady tried getting a Rx filled at my store from one of those U.S. owned territory and it wasn't valid.

-that floater is gonna get a talking to once your PIC finds out and files a dispensing error on them.

1. Probably not legal, although I don't know the law in all 50 states.
2. Probably not, unless something bad happens or the pharmacist gets reported to the state board. But probably not.
3. Not your fault, nothing you could have done.

Could this floater be any dumber? Of course you don't fill something like that. And telling a patient to open a capsule and pour out 40% and mix in water and drink with a capsule? WTF.

Here's what I would have done, "I will not be able to fill this RX. Here is the address of the nearest immediate care center where you can go see a US licensed provider and tell them what problem you are having and get treatment. Thank you."

What was the drug, anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, what I am really interested in is how the floater had time to deal with that considering how most CVS stores are. Did the patient happen to be really hot?

O floaters aren't they great. From what I know the Rx must be written by a licensed U.S. physician because one time some lady tried getting a Rx filled at my store from one of those U.S. owned territory and it wasn't valid.

-that floater is gonna get a talking to once your PIC finds out and files a dispensing error on them.

Because my store is in enough trouble as it is (not with issues like this) and the non-confrontational nature of my PIC, this isn't going to happen.

1. Probably not legal, although I don't know the law in all 50 states.
2. Probably not, unless something bad happens or the pharmacist gets reported to the state board. But probably not.
3. Not your fault, nothing you could have done.

Could this floater be any dumber? Of course you don't fill something like that. And telling a patient to open a capsule and pour out 40% and mix in water and drink with a capsule? WTF.

Here's what I would have done, "I will not be able to fill this RX. Here is the address of the nearest immediate care center where you can go see a US licensed provider and tell them what problem you are having and get treatment. Thank you."

What was the drug, anyway?

The drug was depakote, which was part of why the floater was trying to be acommadating (sp?). I did a quick google on my phone, but wasn't able to quickly find anything from the DEA or FDA saying that we couldn't fill the script. We had one thing after another, made a grand total of 2 pcq calls this weekend, left 7.5 pages in the QP for tomorrow morning. Our PCQ scores have always been mediocre, and my PIC is constantly worrying about them because of all the hassle. I can't wait to leave, I'm even more excited than I am for TDKR

Honestly, what I am really interested in is how the floater had time to deal with that considering how most CVS stores are. Did the patient happen to be really hot?

the floater is middle aged, female. patient was prolly 25, female. not attractive enough to warrant this. She didn't have time, we ended up filling 105 scripts today. What little production there was by the two techs today was extremely slow, we spent more time changing times on the red (orange) scripts than filling scripts, as well as changing times on the red ones that were in verify ready. there was a steady flow of customers which never really stopped. there were lines of 1-2 but never 4-5

During the season we can count on getting Canadian guests asking if we can fill something, often metformin for some reason. The way you describe is exactly how we handle it.

The drug was depakote, which was part of why the floater was trying to be acommadating (sp?). I did a quick google on my phone, but wasn't able to quickly find anything from the DEA or FDA saying that we couldn't fill the script.

Why would this be a DEA or FDA issue?

Because my store is in enough trouble as it is (not with issues like this) and the non-confrontational nature of my PIC, this isn't going to happen.

The drug was depakote, which was part of why the floater was trying to be acommadating (sp?). I did a quick google on my phone, but wasn't able to quickly find anything from the DEA or FDA saying that we couldn't fill the script. We had one thing after another, made a grand total of 2 pcq calls this weekend, left 7.5 pages in the QP for tomorrow morning. Our PCQ scores have always been mediocre, and my PIC is constantly worrying about them because of all the hassle. I can't wait to leave, I'm even more excited than I am for TDKR

Oh my goodness, you're suppose to monitor depakote levels, LFT's and CBC while on depakote. I hope they weren't issued refills. Imagine the pt on depakote and not being followed up for 3 - 12 months . . .

Are you in pharmacy school? What is the source of most pharmacy related law?

nope. was considering it, CVS and the currently bastardized state of the profession have driven me in another direction. I had even signed up for the PCAT this summer, but cancelled and got my money back.

nope. was considering it, CVS and the currently bastardized state of the profession have driven me in another direction. I had even signed up for the PCAT this summer, but cancelled and got my money back.

OK, then. Most pharmacy law is state law. This is not a DEA/FDA issue. And if you are just a pharmacy tech/clerk, there is no way you are in any kind of trouble about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
What A4MD said.

I know for a fact that prescriptions written by non-licensed US doctors are not valid, at least in my state (and probably all states.) I wouldn't have even touched a prescription written in a foreign language that I wasn't at least half-way fluent in-regardless if the prescriber was a recognized state-licensed physician. The patient should have been told the prescription was not valid, and directed to the nearest urgent care or walk-in clinic. Expecting a patient to be able to accurately measure out "4/10th's" is ridiculous.

Prescribing authority is set by individual states, so filling a prescription by a non-recognized prescriber would be a state violation, not FDA OR DEA (since it's not a controlled medication.)

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that this will go anywhere. Unless someone complains, the state isn't going to look at it, and I would guess a first time violation of this sort would probably get a slap on the risk. Of course, if the patient ends up suffering a dire effect from this prescription and decides to sue or file a complaint.....that would be a real mess, for everyone involved, but most especially the floating pharmacist who decided to fill this.

As a technician, there really isn't anything you could do to prevent this. Even if you called your PIC at home, if he's non-confrontation like you said, your PIC would have probably said it's the pharmacist on duties call and not want to get involved. Even if your PIC told the floater she shouldn't fill it, as the pharmacist on call, she might have went ahead and filled it anyway (considering the mentality of someone who would have spent that much time on a prescription that shouldn't have been filled, I'm guessing she probably would have done her own thing anyway, regardless of what the PIC said.)

What A4MD said.

I know for a fact that prescriptions written by non-licensed US doctors are not valid, at least in my state (and probably all states.) I wouldn't have even touched a prescription written in a foreign language that I wasn't at least half-way fluent in-regardless if the prescriber was a recognized state-licensed physician. The patient should have been told the prescription was not valid, and directed to the nearest urgent care or walk-in clinic. Expecting a patient to be able to accurately measure out "4/10th's" is ridiculous.

Prescribing authority is set by individual states, so filling a prescription by a non-recognized prescriber would be a state violation, not FDA OR DEA (since it's not a controlled medication.)

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that this will go anywhere. Unless someone complains, the state isn't going to look at it, and I would guess a first time violation of this sort would probably get a slap on the risk. Of course, if the patient ends up suffering a dire effect from this prescription and decides to sue or file a complaint.....that would be a real mess, for everyone involved, but most especially the floating pharmacist who decided to fill this.

As a technician, there really isn't anything you could do to prevent this. Even if you called your PIC at home, if he's non-confrontation like you said, your PIC would have probably said it's the pharmacist on duties call and not want to get involved. Even if your PIC told the floater she shouldn't fill it, as the pharmacist on call, she might have went ahead and filled it anyway (considering the mentality of someone who would have spent that much time on a prescription that shouldn't have been filled, I'm guessing she probably would have done her own thing anyway, regardless of what the PIC said.)

The floater was quite bullheaded about it and wouldn't hear me try to talk some sense. I'm not worried about my own safety as I intentionally stayed away from the process.

The paranoia that corporate CVS strikes is unreal, but I'm concerned for my PIC. She's not a good manager but is a likable person, liked by many customers, has good qualities, etc. I'd feel bad if this came back on her knowing that I didn't try super hard to stop the floater from filling a ruski rx. I'm debating even telling my PIC because I know I'll ruin her vacation. Should I wait for her to return, on saturday?

So since we are talking about Depakote, obviously your 5 and 10 mg thing was an example. What was the prescription actually written for? What dosage form and what strength? ER or DR? I'm assuming that she substituted the Sprinkles. Geez, what a HOT MESS.

So since we are talking about Depakote, obviously your 5 and 10 mg thing was an example. What was the prescription actually written for? What dosage form and what strength? ER or DR? I'm assuming that she substituted the Sprinkles. Geez, what a HOT MESS.

script said depakote 300mg. I didn't take a long look at it, because I thought we'd turn her away and that'd be the end of it. I'll find out tomorrow what was dispensed and can PM you.

The floater was quite bullheaded about it and wouldn't hear me try to talk some sense. I'm not worried about my own safety as I intentionally stayed away from the process.

The paranoia that corporate CVS strikes is unreal, but I'm concerned for my PIC. She's not a good manager but is a likable person, liked by many customers, has good qualities, etc. I'd feel bad if this came back on her knowing that I didn't try super hard to stop the floater from filling a ruski rx. I'm debating even telling my PIC because I know I'll ruin her vacation. Should I wait for her to return, on saturday?

Solution: Notify PDM. The PDM will realize that it was a floater and that your PIC is on vacation. Your PIC is on vacation (and is not on the clock), and something that serious should be dealt with by your PDM (whom I assume has authority over the floater). Since the Rx was written not only in another language, but also in Cyrillic script (alphabet), this is negligence at best, and probably illegal. There is no excuse for this.

Solution: Notify PDM. The PDM will realize that it was a floater and that your PIC is on vacation. Your PIC is on vacation (and is not on the clock), and something that serious should be dealt with by your PDM (whom I assume has authority over the floater). Since the Rx was written not only in another language, but also in Cyrillic script (alphabet), this is negligence at best, and probably illegal. There is no excuse for this.

a staff pharmacist was recently written up for a small incident that happened on a day he wasn't working, as well as the PIC. she wasn't working that day either.

Just for the record, foreign scripts are legal in Florida.

Florida Statute 465.003(14)
The term ["prescription"] also includes an order written or transmitted by a practitioner licensed to practice in a jurisdiction other than this state, but only if the pharmacist called upon to dispense such order determines, in the exercise of her or his professional judgment, that the order is valid and necessary for the treatment of a chronic or recurrent illness.

So even scripts from a different US state need to be for a chronic or recurrent illness.

We sometimes get scripts from the Caribbean, Latin America, Canada, and the borderline case of Puerto Rico. But you need to watch out because:
- they might not be in English
- abbreviations different, e.g. British system has bd instead of bid, tds instead of tid. Even American vets use sid instead of qd, once a day.
- drug names different, e.g. Cartia in Australia is aspirin 100mg.

That said, I wouldn't fill the script the OP is talking about, as written, even if it was from an American doctor. We don't get that clinical in retail trying to open up capsules to get a fractional dose. That would require a call to the doctor to clarify, and in the absence of that, refuse to fill and tell the patient to get a new script.

Last edited:
Foreign prescriptions are legal in NY too. However nobody does it for the reasons posted above.

The biggest problem that I see is the brand name of drugs might mean different things as mentioned in the post above me.

Just for the record, foreign scripts are legal in Florida.

Florida Statute 465.003(14)

So even scripts from a different US state need to be for a chronic or recurrent illness.

We sometimes get scripts from the Caribbean, Latin America, Canada, and the borderline case of Puerto Rico. But you need to watch out because:
- they might not be in English
- abbreviations different, e.g. British system has bd instead of bid, tds instead of tid. Even American vets use sid instead of qd, once a day.

That said, I wouldn't fill the script the OP is talking about, as written, even if it was from an American doctor. We don't get that clinical in retail trying to open up capsules to get a fractional dose. That would require a call to the doctor to clarify, and in the absence of that, refuse to fill and tell the patient to get a new script.
Just for the record, Puerto Rico is not a borderline case; it's a US territory.

Nothing will happen to the floater... most likely will get a slap on the wrist

We aren't supposed to refuse foreign scripts for maintenance meds here in FL. If it leads to a customer complaint, we get written up. If it's not in English though, forget about it.

Just for the record, Puerto Rico is not a borderline case; it's a US territory.
Sorry, I meant because sometimes the script is in Spanish. Bottomline is, we can fill scripts from anywhere, in Florida, but only do so if you're comfortable.

Actually I work for Walgreens, we have stores in PR, and we can transfer scripts electronically through the computer system. I once tried to transfer a script to a PR store, but the RPh there refused to fill it because it was written by an American doctor...

in Texas, we can fill Mexico and Canadian scripts. Other than those two, no other nations.

I don't think the floater will be in trouble unless someone calls or an audit takes place. :eek:

Wow. That could be an enormous dispensing error.

Foreign prescriptions are legal in NY too. However nobody does it for the reasons posted above.
I've had a few Canadians try to fill scripts and we've turned them down. They even wanted to use their insurance cards from home. If it's not an official NY rx pad, it seems bizarre, even if it's from a neighboring state like PA or VT.

Wow. That could be an enormous dispensing error.

I've had a few Canadians try to fill scripts and we've turned them down. They even wanted to use their insurance cards from home. If it's not an official NY rx pad, it seems bizarre, even if it's from a neighboring state like PA or VT.

I would love to practice in NY. Didn't they ban transfer coupons and also investigate Rite Aid's 15 minute guarantee?

1. Foreign Scripts are legal In Florida

Maintenance Meds
They should be maintnance medications i.e. Enalapril, Lisinopril, Levothyroxine, Carbemazepine, Gabapentin, Phenytoin, etc. I mostly fill blood pressure medications. Foreign prescriptions are cash you obviously are not going to be able to run it through an insurance, since
the patient is from a foreign country. And, cash paying customers are not going to spend a lot of money, so you will mostly see foreign prescriptions for blood pressure medications, since there are an abundance of generics.

No Controls
You are not to fill any foreign prescriptions that is a controlled medication. So anything in from CI to CV is a no go.

No Antibiotics
Foreign prescriptions for antibiotics, in most cases are not maintenance, therefore they should not be filled. In addition to this, often the foreign prescriptions are written by the patient who diagnosed him or herself and felt they need that antibiotic. Having said that, there are means for people to get ABX without seeing a physician, and yes, I have filled some.

Tramadol?
Though medications are supposed to be maintenance, I often fill Ibuprofen 800mg and Naproxen 500mg. Pharmacists do fill Tramadol
from foreign prescriptions, however I don't. I know this drug is often abused, and it is so not a maintenance medication. Another one I
don't usually fills is Flexeril.

Needles?
I guess you could fill a script from a foreign country for needles. I just never have. The one I saw was needles for some testosterone the patient had. I didn't feel comfortable filling that, since the patient had no idea how to inject it and I just didn't want any responsibility for any kind of accident. I told them they could go up to West Palm Beach, where you don't need a script for needles.

2. No Exporting of Medications
If a patient has a foreign prescription and they tell you it is for a person in another country, then you know that the medication will
be exported to another country and this is against the law- exporting medications to a foreign country. Again, such scripts are filled all the
time, however, if someone gives you a big story about a person sick in another country and the script is for them, beware. I've heard there have been cases where these people where undercover and penalized the pharmacist, but who knows?

3. Language
You can fill a foreign script in any language. If you feel comfortable filling a script in Russian, go right ahead. I can't do Russion, but I could do Spanish or German.

4. Audits
These are cash paying customers. You won't see the script in an audit. Unless you filled a controlled substance, which you are not allowed to do- not on a foreign prescription anyway.

5. DEA
The DEA won't see these scripts, assuming you didn't fill a controlled substance on a foreign prescription, which you are not to do.

6. Company Policy
I believe the company you work for has policies on this too. CVS and Walgreens don't typically fill foreign prescriptions. Again, it depends on the pharmacist on duty. I've seen a pharmacist at CVS fill a script for Voltaren gell from Jaimaica- no biggie.

Last edited:

You do not need to worry.Floaters or non floaters they are your boss and its their license on the line not yours so relax.
Regarding PIC I am sure he or she can defend him or herself.

I would love to practice in NY. Didn't they ban transfer coupons and also investigate Rite Aid's 15 minute guarantee?
We're very strict. Benzos can't be refilled, all controls must be written on official rx pad, can only dispense 5 days worth on an emergency phone call, if they are phoned in it has to be the actual prescriber who calls, written rx expires in 30 days if not filled.

I don't know what the law is here but my store is down the road from a store with a Minute Clinic, and we have a good relationship with the NP there...so we usually send people to her (or just call her) and she'll rewrite most maintenance meds. It's surprising when we get foreign scripts, since we're wayyyy out in bumbleville, but just last week we had one from Italy and one from Costa Rica

We're very strict. Benzos can't be refilled, all controls must be written on official rx pad, can only dispense 5 days worth on an emergency phone call, if they are phoned in it has to be the actual prescriber who calls, written rx expires in 30 days if not filled.
i feel like that'd make things easier to run from an rph/tech point of view

This is an old forum, but I believe it is still useful so I would like to clarify that this is definitely a state issue and prescriptions from Puerto Rico are valid, in most (maybe all) states. Also, Puerto Rico Pharmacy Law has been recently amended to accept prescriptions from US practitioners, but only MD's, dentists, DVM's and DPM's, as those are the only ones with prescriptive authority in PR. There are also some limitations to these, e.g. transfers only if both pharmacies share the prescription image (this limit makes it a default chain only transfer), and for 3 month refills only. A hardcopy or e-prescription will be accepted anywhere, no oral prescriptions, faxes or transfers, though. This is a great forum. Keep the good work!

Sorry, I meant because sometimes the script is in Spanish. Bottomline is, we can fill scripts from anywhere, in Florida, but only do so if you're comfortable.

Actually I work for Walgreens, we have stores in PR, and we can transfer scripts electronically through the computer system. I once tried to transfer a script to a PR store, but the RPh there refused to fill it because it was written by an American doctor...

This is an interesting thread... I am shocked that some states allow pharmacist to dispense foreign prescriptions... This is dangerous IMO!

This is an interesting thread... I am shocked that some states allow pharmacist to dispense foreign prescriptions... This is dangerous IMO!

agreed w you said above. Good info to know anyway !!

I'm just surprised a floater actually took the initiative to fill the prescription. They usually have the technician tell the patient to come back while we contact the physician then leave it for the next pharmacist.

When you live in a place like Miami, you practically live in another country anyway.

lol :)

on another tangent: I think I read somewhere that foreign physicians (e.g. from Latin America) are given special permit to practice medicine in Hispanic communities in Florida... Do not know if that is true (need to check on that one)

lol :)

on another tangent: I think I read somewhere that foreign physicians (e.g. from Latin America) are given special permit to practice medicine in Hispanic communities in Florida... Do not know if that is true (need to check on that one)
Their license is limited to back alley abortions and unlicensed plastic surgery centers.

Reactions: 3 users
in Texas, we can fill Mexico and Canadian scripts. Other than those two, no other nations.

I don't think the floater will be in trouble unless someone calls or an audit takes place. :eek:

Correct. Only handwritten scripts though. No verbal or faxed orders allowed and the amount of refills on the physical prescription is all that is allowed. No controlled meds.

Correct. Only handwritten scripts though. No verbal or faxed orders allowed and the amount of refills on the physical prescription is all that is allowed. No controlled meds.

That would be so cool to be able to do in FL. We get so many snow birds.

I'm a tech at CVS :thumbdown: and my PIC is on vacation this week, so we had a floater this weekend. When we opened, an American girl who lives in Europe brought us a script in Russian, which the floater proceeded to fill. Rph took 3 full hours, 180 minutes, editing, translating, entering a FOREIGN physician into our system, and eventually filling. This was for depakote, 300mg. Rph instructed patient to OPEN the 250mg capsules and pour a fraction of the powder into water and drink along with a capsule, :eek:. I took no part in filling the rx or even interacting with the patient, as I was almost positive that it should have been taken care quickly when we realized the script wasn't from the USA.

TLDR

1. Is filling foreign prescriptions legal here? I am told no.
2. My store is in hot water as it is, should I fear for my PIC's license and/or employment? Even thought she wasn't around today?
3. Should I have done more to prevent this from occurring? I plan on quitting CVS in 6 weeks so I'm laying low

Thanks for any advice

as a side note, the patient sat quite quietly and politely for the full duration of this ordeal.

1. In Michigan (as of July 2017)
a. A pharmacist may dispense a prescription for a noncontrolled substance drug issued by an MD or DO licensed in any state or Canada.
b. A pharmacist may dispense a prescription for a controlled substance drug issued by an MD or DO licensed in any state but not Canada.
c. A pharmacist may dispense both non controlled and controlled substance drugs prescribed by a dentist licensed in any state, but not Canada.

Seeing that the prescription was from Europe, it would be invalid and thus would not be able to be filled in Michigan. Keep in mind that each individual state may have its own rules/regulations

2. I wouldn't fear for your PIC. The floating pharmacist would take full responsibility for his/her actions.
3. In hindsight, it would have helped if you became familiar with the state-specific laws/regulations regarding foreign prescriptions--it would have been a great opportunity to show how indispensable you are at your job and potentially prevented the pharmacist from any disciplinary action, but ultimately it is up to the pharmacist to know these laws/regulations. Also, I realize your posted this years ago and I hope your are doing well!

I agree. It's a cash script, unless someone opens their big mouth, everything's ok. And there are other states which allow scripts from other countries, usually Mexico and Canada for maintenance meds. Whether or not you fill them has more to do with the policy of the pharmacy and how comfortable the pharmacist feels.

We filled scripts from Cuba all the time at Navarro Discount pharmacy(now CVS) in Florida. As an intern, I saw a pharmacist fill a script from Jamaica. Having practiced in border states, I feel that the pharmacies/pharmacist in Florida are the most receptive to foreign scripts and most helpful to Spanish speaking individuals than states further west.

This just sounds like a bad idea, if for no other reason than the lack of standardization between drug names (as mentioned in this thread Cartia-Aspirin and Cartia-diltiazem is a big example of what can go wrong with a prescription for another country.) I've had to try to figure out foreign home meds a couple of times when a patient was admitted, most memorably a patient from Germany. Of course, the hospitalist had to reorder everything anyway (they weren't drugs which were available in the US, but it helped to at least know the drug class of the medicine.) In retail, I would not touch a foreign RX.

common sense really isn't that common...but what do you expect when you've been scanning and filling scripts every day for 30 years...the natural reaction when someone hands you a piece of paper is to scan it in and fill it.

We didn't fill everything.....at least not the way all the narcotics seem to get filled these days.

I filled some out of country scripts when I was in retail. In my experience the patient always knew exactly what they were taking (the American name I mean) and the prescriber had written it that way. Obviously no controls. CVS Legal had advised it was legal in my state as long it wasn't a control. Why wouldn't you fill it? It's still (depending on state law) a valid script. I can understand not filling it if you can't decipher it or have some other reason to question it, but refusing just because the script originated in other country? Seems lame to me.