Finalized 2007 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jihu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe we can tidy things up and keep all submitted rank order lists here. I'll go first:

1. Mount Sinai
2. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. Columbia
6. Lenox Hill
7. Beth Israel
8. Albert Einstein (Bronx)
9. St. Vincent's
10. SUNY Downstate
11. North Shore - Long Island Jewish
12. NY Methodist
13. NY Hospital Medical Center of Queens
14. UMDNJ-RWJ-New Brunswick
15. Lahey Clinic
16. Thomas Jefferson
17. UMDNJ-RWJ-Camden
18. SUNY Stony Brook
19. Stamford Hospital
20. Cabrini

I know it's an oddly ordered list. I'll try to come up with some halfway intelligent responses to any questions.

Hope other people feel like sharing. I know last year's posts helped me question my own priorities while I was sorting things out. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe we can tidy things up and keep all submitted rank order lists here. I'll go first:

1. Mount Sinai
2. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. Columbia
6. Lenox Hill
7. Beth Israel
9. St. Vincent's
10. SUNY Downstate
12. NY Methodist
15. Lahey Clinic
16. Thomas Jefferson
17. UMDNJ-RWJ-Camden
18. SUNY Stony Brook
19. Stamford Hospital
20. Cabrini

I know it's an oddly ordered list. I'll try to come up with some halfway intelligent responses to any questions.

Hope other people feel like sharing. I know last year's posts helped me question my own priorities while I was sorting things out. Good luck to everyone!

How did you find time to go to 20 different programs?!? Your traveling costs must have been outrageous!

Also, did you find that geography ended up playing a big part in your ranking?

How did you find time to go to 20 different programs?!? Your traveling costs must have been outrageous!

Also, did you find that geography ended up playing a big part in your ranking?

I actually went to 21 programs. Geography played a huge role in the process. Most of my programs were in NY, so my traveling costs were minimal (car rentals got a little pricey, but it was bearable). I did have 3 interviews scheduled in Seattle, but I cancelled them after realizing I couldn't see myself leaving everyone I know and love in NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geography played a huge role in the process. Most of my programs were in NY

Well, that was the joke.....I guess I have to work on my internet sarcasm.

Anyway, good luck, and props for being the first to post your list.

1.) UT-Houston
2.) UAB
3.) Methodist (Houston)
4.) UT-SW
5.) UT-Memphis
6.) VCU
7.) Louisville
8.) Indiana
9.) Baylor (Dallas)

for better or for worse here's my list.
I'll preface it with the fact that im a DO..... any other fellow DO's out there feel like posting their lists?

RWJ New Brunswick-NJ
Christiana-DE
Westchester-NY
UMDNJ Camden-NJ
Syracuse-NY
North Shore/LIJ
New Hanover-NC
Stamford-CT
Stoney Brook-NY
Monmouth-NJ
Maimonides-NY
Waterbury-CT
NYMC OLM-NY
NYMC sound shore-NY

i realize it doesn't make the most sense with some of the "University" programs at the bottom....but i think i was pretty good at picking based on what i was looking for and not because of their name. :)

I'll join in. I'm interested to see what everyone ranked.

1. MGH
2. Hopkins
3.B&W
4. U. of Chicago
5. UCSF
6. Duke
7. Vandy
8. BID
9. Georgetown
10. Ohio State
11. Yale
12. Stanford
13. Virginia Mason
14. U of Wisconsin
15. U of Miami
16. U of Michigan
17. UTSW

1. Louisville
2. Emory
3. Vandy
4. B and W
5. MGH
6. Colorado
7. Cinnci
8. Indiana
9. Washu
10. UVA
11. UNC
12. UAB
13. Hopkins

1. Baylor/Academic
2. Baylor/Clinical
3. Emory
4. UT-Southwestern
5. Georgetown
6. UAB
7. U.Chicago
8. USF
9. UF
10. NYU
11. Cleveland Clinic
12. BID
13-15 I forget (Miami, Louisville, Mayo)

1. Columbia
2. Cornell
3. NYU
4. Yale
5. Miami
6. Irvine
7. UCSF
8. USC
9. Temple
10. UT- Houston
11...don't remember

1. Mount Sinai
2. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. Columbia
6. Lenox Hill
7. Beth Israel
9. St. Vincent's
10. SUNY Downstate
12. NY Methodist
15. Lahey Clinic
16. Thomas Jefferson
17. UMDNJ-RWJ-Camden
18. SUNY Stony Brook
19. Stamford Hospital
20. Cabrini

Just curious - but what made you rank Sinai (besides being friendly) above Columbia, Cornell, or Downstate?

1. MGH
2. Vandy
3. Wisconsin-Madison
4. Michigan
5. Wash U
6. UVA
7. Wake Forest
8. Cincinnati
9. Kentucky
10. Louisville

Members don't see this ad :)
1) University of Michigan
2) Northwestern
3) University of Minnesota
4) Univ of Wisconsin
5) UIC
6) Loyola
7) Cincinnati
8) Boston Univ
9) Indiana
10) Med College Wisconsin
11) Cleveland Clinic
12) UCSF-East Bay
13) Henry Ford
14) Beaumont
15) St Joseph -- Ann Arbor
16) Hennepin County
17) Sinai (Chicago)
18) St Joseph -- Chicago
19) Wayne State

1. MGH
2. Vandy
3. Wisconsin-Madison
4. Michigan
5. Wash U
6. UVA
7. Wake Forest
8. Cincinnati
9. Kentucky
10. Louisville

Im shocked to see UVA that low on anybody's list, that program blew me away. What didn't you like? Not that your top five aren't stellar too.

Decided not to post my list, but agree with dynx that UVA is one of the best programs in the country.

Just curious - but what made you rank Sinai (besides being friendly) above Columbia, Cornell, or Downstate?

Different academic programs seemed to have different strengths. Research, operative experience, overall resident esprit-des-corps, fellowship placement are all pretty impressive. It was more the overall vibe that set them apart from one another for me.

Columbia and Cornell are certainly the premier names in NYC, and deservedly so. They have bona fide clinical and research leaders in several fields and the educational component would be top-notch. That being said, 80-hours is cited with a wink, the residents seemed a little stiff to me, and a life outside the hospital would be non-existent.

Mount Sinai isn't the academic powerhouse that Columbia and Cornell are, but it supports resident research and seemed genuinely committed to resident education overall. The residents seemed loose and genuinely happy with their experience. The one statistic that stood out on interview day was this: in the past ten years, the attrition rate at Mount Sinai is 0%.

Downstate has a much weaker reputation than any of the NYC academic programs. Residents do take time off to do research (I think they do a good job of setting up projects at Memorial Sloan Kettering), but the faculty don't seem to be the big names of the region. Furthermore, the vascular department is in shambles and operative numbers were surprisingly low here. Also, rotating through so many different hospitals would force me to be a car-owner in Brooklyn.

Anyway, typing up posts like these are kind of pointless for me--I'm a long-shot for any academic program except for Downstate. (If someone feels like posting an "applicant profile" thread like last year, I'd be happy to contribute. That was an interesting one that I read a lot. Kind of nervous about being the first to post).

As a fellow applicant that ranked UVA relatively low, I'd say that they had some of the nicest, sharpest residents I met on the interview trail. The faculty, operative experience, and facilities all seemed great too. My main issue was that Charlottesville, no matter how beautiful and cool (I'm really kicking my myself for not applying to undergrad there.), is still a small college town. This, the lack of trauma, and the fact that all the residents seem to go into CT caused me to knock it down a notch. If I were mobile, married, and wanting to go into CT, I'd rank it really high. Maybe the other poster can comment too.

1. Vanderbilt
2. UVa
3. UMichigan
4. UNC
5. UWisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. IndianaU
8. MGH
9. UMinnesota
10. WashU
11. Med College of WI
12. UVermont
13. Maine Med
14. Louisville
15. UIC

Let me start by saying that UVA has an excellent program. As with idiot07, I agree that the residents and experience were great. The curriculum was a bit CT heavy. Being interested in Peds surg, Dr. Rodgers would be an awesome resource to me.

The reason that I ranked UVA lower is that all of the residents that the majority of residents matching into peds surg have matched predominately at one institution, and I couldn't really figure out why. The kicker for me is my fiance is a pediatric ICU nurse and the situation in the PICU at UVA is far from ideal for her.

In essence, nothing wrong with the program, just wasn't a fit for my faince and I.

1. MGH
2. Maine Medical Center
3. Vermont
4. Lahey
5. New England Medical Center
6. Dartmouth
7. BI Deaconess
8. Brown
9. NYU
10. Yale
11. Dartmouth Vascular

Weird, I know! :D

Would also be willing to contribute to an "applicant profile" thread, after Match Day.

1. OHSU
2. Wake Forest
3. Methodist Houston
4. Loma Linda
5. UNM
6. Miami
7. LSU New Orleans
8. UT Houston
9. Paper route in a.m. and Taco Bell

I applied to 18, and got 9 interviews. I turned down USC, and I applied to the 3 integrated vascular programs extremely late. Good luck to everyone.

Let me start by saying that UVA has an excellent program. As with idiot07, I agree that the residents and experience were great. The curriculum was a bit CT heavy. Being interested in Peds surg, Dr. Rodgers would be an awesome resource to me.

The reason that I ranked UVA lower is that all of the residents that the majority of residents matching into peds surg have matched predominately at one institution, and I couldn't really figure out why. The kicker for me is my fiance is a pediatric ICU nurse and the situation in the PICU at UVA is far from ideal for her.

In essence, nothing wrong with the program, just wasn't a fit for my faince and I.

Thanks for sharing your decision making process. I guess my interest in CT surg has me biased towards the program as a whole. Good luck in the match.

3 people (thus far) with methodist houston pretty high on their lists. anybody care to share what they did/said on interview day to impress you so much?

-tm

My list
1. OHSU
2. UNC
3. Dartmouth
4. U Vermont
5. U Utah
6. U Rochester
7. Maine Med
8. Carolinas Med Center
9. MCW
10. Mayo (Rochester)
11. Case
12. Buffalo
13. U Kentucky

Here's my list...I'm a US-IMG who wants to be far away from big cities so that will explain it a little

1.Albany
2.Syracuse
3.Hospital of St. Raphael, CT
4.Buffalo
5.Westchester
6.NYMC-Sound Shore
7.Spartanburg Regional, SC
8.Carilion Health System, Roanoke
9.St. Barnabas, NJ
10.Albert Einstein, Philly
11.York Hospital, PA
12.UMDNJ-Newark
13.UMDNJ-Camden
14.St. Elizabeth, Youngstown, OH
15.WRCS, Youngstown, OH
16.Nassau University, Long Island
17.St Francis (Trenton, NJ)
18.St. John Hospital and Medical Center (Detroit)
19.Monmouth Medical Center
20.Maimonides Medical Center
21.Brooklyn Hospital

Not too impressive, but it'll get the job done. I'm not interested in being an academic surgeon (low pay, long hours, extra years of training, malignant reputation) so I was satisfied with what I got.

Wow blackdiamond, you had a lot of interviews.

How many programs did you apply to and what are your credentials (scores, school, etc...)

I am freaking out now because I had a few iv's, but Westchester said they would rank me high, did they say the same to you?

I applied intelligently, meaning to programs where I not only thought I had a decent shot of getting an interview but also be ranked at least in the middle of their list. As a US-IMG from St. George's University, I knew I wasn't very competitive even with a Step I of 235/Step II of 230 and great letters of rec from unknown US surgeons and no publications. So I applied to 90 programs and got 30 interviews, went to 21 and ranked them all. Unfortunately, I had to cancel some at pretty good programs because my fiancee did not want to live there. Most of my programs were within a few hours' drive so it did not cost too much...And yes, Westchester said they would rank me high as well as 5 other people I knew. Lots of b.s. going around so never believe anything from any program.

3 people (thus far) with methodist houston pretty high on their lists. anybody care to share what they did/said on interview day to impress you so much?

-tm

New program, endless possibilities?

Well I had few interviews, I know it's not 21 IV's, but what do you think of my chances of matching?

how did you get that?

He used the patented DYNX matching calculator. But he forgot to ask you if you have a fuzzy toilet seat cover...ITS IMPORTANT DAMN IT! This is science people.

seriously, what do you guys think?

Hank, with all due respect, please do not hijack this thread which is supposed to be about rank order lists and turn it into "what does everyone think about Hank's chances of matching." No offense intended, but if you want people's opinion, start another thread. (or, you could just wait a couple of weeks and find out for once and for all) :)

Nobody has an opinion, Dr. Cox?

you have a very very low chance of matching in the U.S.A.

Well, you haven't even posted your rank list on the "Rank Order List" thread. I'd like to see that before we make any judgments on your matchability.

seriously?

If I was a PD not only wouldn't I rank you I'd beat you stupid(er). Nobody knows your chances, they are low, made lower by the fact that you're apparently a *****. Stop asking stupid questions.

Dear Kimberly Cox,

Before you give me another warning or ban me outright for the above post I'd like to point out the fact that this guy is completely ******ed and disparaging his mental capacity is in no way an insult but rather a mere observation of the blatantly obvious.

sincerely,
DYNX

Dear Kimberly Cox,

Before you give me another warning or ban me outright for the above post I'd like to point out the fact that this guy is completely ******ed and disparaging his mental capacity is in no way an insult but rather a mere observation of the blatantly obvious.

sincerely,
DYNX

Fair enough..."pass" given for this one.

Next time I'll get you for not spelling my name correctly though. :smuggrin:

Not a whole lot of responses here.

Is it that there are less SDNers going into surgery this year, therefore less contributions to this thread?

Is it that there is a higher level of paranoia/sphincter tone regarding PDs perusing this board and IDing applicants?

Is it that other SDNers are intimidated by the fact that those that have shared their ROL so far sound like academic all stars? I hope not.

I feel that this thread would benefit from ROLs not belonging to future Harvard chairmen....it's definitely lacking contributors planning on training in the midwest.....

SLU...with all due respect, what do you gain by seeing other people's rank lists? I wouldn't take the scant response to this subject as a decreased interest in surgery or an abundance of nervousness, but rather that it's a pretty worthless thread and most readers see it's lack of value.

Though this thread may be of no real value to this year's applicants, other than for curiosity's sake, it may be of great benefit to other people who are relatively new to the whole damn process of picking programs for later years. I did not know which are the good and bad programs when I originally applied this year, and I wished there was more info out there on each program (other than scutwork). It would have definitely saved me money going to those interviews!!

Not a whole lot of responses here.

Is it that there are less SDNers going into surgery this year, therefore less contributions to this thread?

Is it that there is a higher level of paranoia/sphincter tone regarding PDs perusing this board and IDing applicants?

QUOTE]

I've chosen not to respond simply because it's no one else's business what my ROL is, and my SDN name is close enough to my real name that anyone who met me along the way (be that residents/PDs/other students) could easily tell who I am and yes, there is a little bit of paranoia around this whole process.

Though this thread may be of no real value to this year's applicants, other than for curiosity's sake, it may be of great benefit to other people who are relatively new to the whole damn process of picking programs for later years. I did not know which are the good and bad programs when I originally applied this year, and I wished there was more info out there on each program (other than scutwork). It would have definitely saved me money going to those interviews!!

With all due respect, I do not think we should encourage our underclassmen to base where they will apply or interview based on the handful of responses on an internet message board. Would you seriously not interview at a program you were otherwise interested in because it was ranked low in someone's anonymous ROL?

We need to encourage students to apply/interview/rank where they will be happy and comfortable training. My #1 is quite low on some of these lists, and my #13 is very high on others. It doesn't say anything about us as students or applicants, nor does it say anything about how "good" or "bad" these programs are. It just means I had a very different feel of a program than someone else, or that I just don't want to live in a particular city. Besides, a random ROL is useless unless you know quite a bit about the applicant behind it--where they go to school, where they are from, grades, scores, etc.

Although my ROL is not classified information--I'd be happy to share and discuss with anyone who cares enough to ask me--I don't see the point of posting it online unless I was trying to brag about the places I visited, and I do not see the point in this.

Regardless, good luck to everyone trying to survive the next six days without going too crazy! :) :)

Thess message boards have proven useful in so many ways and at so many different points in my medical school career. All of the information that I've taken in has been from anonymous internet posters. To say that this thread is particularly useless is confusing. Why have an internet forum at all, unless you're willing to accept some suggestions from other users?

Seeing some rank lists different from yours may spark some interesting discussion that could prove useful to our successors next year. If we voiced our thoughts on why I ranked Program X highly, but you ranked it very low, it might help future applicants think about their priorities and make them focus a little more on interview day and their overall evaluations before their lists are due. Sure, we're all relatively anonymous on this board, and most info has to be taken with a grain of salt. But it's one more piece of information to help us get as clear a picture as possible when there's so much dubious garbage that we run into on interview day