Finalizing my school list--am I ok? last time i'll ask =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulcina

=)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I'm done!!! I have 23 schools, which I've pored over quite a bit.

Just need reassurance/ a reality check from some of you SDNers that my list is ok. Or should I cut a few?

My list is posted below, and all my stats are in my mdapps link ^^
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8772
Thank you :D

BU
Brown
Harvard
Jefferson
Tufts
UPenn
Pitt
Yale

Johns Hop
NW
Pritzker
U Mich
Vanderbilt
WashU

OHSU
U Colorado
Stanford
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC

Members don't see this ad.

You have huge numbers (holy cow, nice job on the MCAT!!!) so you probably don't even need nearly that many schools. But if you like all of those schools and feel like you would be happy to attend all of them, go ahead and apply. Good luck! I am sure you will be very successful!

You have huge numbers (holy cow, nice job on the MCAT!!!) so you probably don't even need nearly that many schools. But if you like all of those schools and feel like you would be happy to attend all of them, go ahead and apply. Good luck! I am sure you will be very successful!

hey there! Thanks for the feedback! I do feel like I'd be happy attending any one of those schools, and I'll hate myself if I cut some schools and I get in nowhere =P Darn random process :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
You have amazing numbers, but your activities is your weak point. I knew a kid who had a 3.9X gpa and 41 mcat and only got into 1 school (a top 20 school, his ps was fine and he's a solid interviewer) as mostly he was rejected post secondary while I knew two other students who both had 4.0 gpa and a 30 and 33 mcat with one of them going to Stanford and the other to Harvard (non-urm). The difference? the guy with a 41 had nothing outstanding in his activities while the other two did...(although IMO these two indiv were very very unique as they both had almost unbeatable accomplishments)

Also, I would prob not choose Stanford unless you really want to go as they expect a very strong research background

You have very nice stats but you may not get into top schools because of what looks like not much clinical experience. Still, Your list is good Dulcina. No worries.

ack!!! now i'm scared =(

I knew my experiences were weaker than most, but I didnt know they were that bad :scared:

I guess this is what I get for deciding on medical school my senior year :(

ack!!! now i'm scared =(

I knew my experiences were weaker than most, but I didnt know they were that bad :scared:

You have the hard part down. I think you will get into a good school, and let say you dont at least you just have to work getting some activities versus bringing up a low gpa or low mcat score. You are not in a bad position at all.

Also if I were you, I would do some activities during the year and update schools on activities u do....it may help for this application cycle, but it will also serve as a backup in case somehow it doesnt work out

Also if I were you, I would do some activities during the year and update schools on activities u do....it may help for this application cycle, but it will also serve as a backup in case somehow it doesnt work out

There is very little chance she will not get into medical school, she just may have some trouble at the top tier schools on her list.

you have a very solid application, I mean you're already at least in the top 5% if not higher and you will IMO your numbers alone can easily get into a top 10 school. I realized my first post was really negative and I didn't mean to discourage you.

Just continue your activities and be sure to update schools about that, its not that you have weak exp, its that you have nothing that's like...WHOA but nobody is perfect, just be sure to address your commitment to activities elsewhere.

ack!!! now i'm scared =(

I think you should add a few "normal" schools

MCW, Temple, Drexel, Medical college of Ohio (Toledo)

I'm sure you can find others in the MSAR. Plus, it's not a bad idea to email or call schools anonymously and ask with your stats and experience if they think you have a shot. Some schools will give you a generic or vague answer, but many will give you realistic advice.

I think you should add a few "normal" schools

MCW, Temple, Drexel, Medical college of Ohio (Toledo)

I'm sure you can find others in the MSAR. Plus, it's not a bad idea to email or call schools anonymously and ask with your stats and experience if they think you have a shot. Some schools will give you a generic or vague answer, but many will give you realistic advice.

hmmm ok, taht sounds like a good idea, might save me some time and money!

you have a very solid application, I mean you're already at least in the top 5% if not higher and you will IMO your numbers alone can easily get into a top 10 school. I realized my first post was really negative and I didn't mean to discourage you.

Just continue your activities and be sure to update schools about that, its not that you have weak exp, its that you have nothing that's like...WHOA but nobody is perfect, just be sure to address your commitment to activities elsewhere.

yeah, I know my activities are pretty "normal". I was busy backpacking until I decided to do medicine my senior year :( I've explained it a bit in my PS, but I havent explicitly said "i was doing that, which is why i have crappy EC's", but hopefully theyll get the point :p

thanks for appending your first message, I was all worried/agitated :oops: