Financial aid and New Orleans Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsuhockeyplayer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering about the financial aid situation for other students who are going to be starting in LSU-NO or Tulane this fall. Are you expecting to get your money on time? from what I have been told I will not get mine until October or November thanks to Katrina and other problems with the mail. I would like to know if I am the only one in this situation (which I am pretty sure I am not). If you are in a similar situation do you know of any steps the school will take to accommodate us until our loans come in? For example do we pay things like tuition, books, and other things out of pocket :scared: or will they wait until the loans come in.

Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad.

lsuhockeyplayer said:
Hey,

I was just wondering about the financial aid situation for other students who are going to be starting in LSU-NO or Tulane this fall. Are you expecting to get your money on time? from what I have been told I will not get mine until October or November thanks to Katrina and other problems with the mail. I would like to know if I am the only one in this situation (which I am pretty sure I am not). If you are in a similar situation do you know of any steps the school will take to accommodate us until our loans come in? For example do we pay things like tuition, books, and other things out of pocket :scared: or will they wait until the loans come in.

Thanks for the info

I'll be hustling tourists in the quarter for their spare change, maybe playing a trumpet or tapdancing. Care to join me? :D Failing that I'll be donating a lot of blood... how many pints do you think it'll take to afford the books?

I go to Tulane and I've been sending my payments for bills thru the US post office in new orleans and so far haven't had any problems.

New Orleans may look like a third world country, but the pony express still works here. I don't expect any significant problems with receiving my loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a couple recent emails with the fin aid office at LSU-NO and have heard the "4 months after your file is complete" answer too. You're definitely not alone! They did say that they will postpone all fees and tuition until fin aid comes in. The tricky part is with living expenses and books. You can take out the short-term private loans to tide you over and pay them back with the fin aid loan (a loan to pay a loan! :eek: ) There was some discussion about this on the LSU 2010 Yahoo group site, too.

Btw, my understanding is that your file is "complete" when you turn in that single page request for aid and your FAFSA. So, if you got that in by 4-15 then you should get your aid by 8-15. The procrastinators are the ones with problems.

chameleonknight said:
Btw, my understanding is that your file is "complete" when you turn in that single page request for aid and your FAFSA. So, if you got that in by 4-15 then you should get your aid by 8-15. The procrastinators are the ones with problems.

I didn't receive that from fin aid until mid-April. Then I was "selected" for some sort of review form (probably b/c my taxes were later than usual this year). You also have to fill out an online Stafford entrance review.

Another problem the LSU-NO entering class had was that there was a delay at admissions entering us into the LSUHSC system. Until they did so, we were not officially "students" in the system and fin aid could not download ANY information on us (i.e., FAFSA)--found that one out in mid-June, when I asked for a status update from fin aid.

Yea one problem with that procrastination idea is the little occurrence called Katrina! It screwed up the application process completely and they have not altered the dead line for turning in financial aid at all. So the end result is if you get interviewed/accepted after a certain date there is no possible way you can have your stuff in on time. That is not even considering being on the waiting list. Kind of ****ty

Well, that just sucks. :\ being a second year, I wasn't aware of any of the admissions snafus, etc. Basically the only info I have at this point is "show up on the 24th" ( i don't know when you guys start). It's frustrating wondering what's going to happen. Will you there be gross lab? What about the SPM modules, which used to meet in the Lions building? The first floor of EVERYTHING is still destroyed, construction is everywhere; it's going to be one hell of a year...

Believe me, I sympathize with you guys; some of my fin aid stuff got snagged too, although I don't think its going to be delayed much (2-3 weeks). Don't let this stuff frustrate you (easier said than done). Just go into survival mode and don't expect anyone to solve your problems for you, there are just too many. Talk to banks about emergency loans; I know the credit union does a $1500 'bridge' loan if you check is late...not sure if that would last 2 months though.

Probably the best option is to invent a time machine, go back in time and give your parents stock tips. Then they can pay for everything. :D

If I sold a kidney on the black market do you think they'd let me observe the extraction proceedure?

Has anyone heard specifically if this a problem with Tulane? I haven't heard anything about my financial aid from them. I have gotten no response from the financial aid office there, both by phone and email. Anyone else still having this problem?

ucsdmd2b said:
Has anyone heard specifically if this a problem with Tulane? I haven't heard anything about my financial aid from them. I have gotten no response from the financial aid office there, both by phone and email. Anyone else still having this problem?

The downtown fin aid office (med school and public health) is really unreliable. The only way to pressure them is to go to the office in person.

tulane06 said:
The downtown fin aid office (med school and public health) is really unreliable. The only way to pressure them is to go to the office in person.

I second that. Tulane's financial aid office does not return phone calls (or answer the phone) or respond to emails. you must go there in person to get your question answered. or email the dean and complain. :cool:

If you're a first or second year, I'd wait a week or two before bothering them. Right now they're swamped with 3rd and 4th year paperwork, because we're here and have already started and should have gotten our money a week or two ago. I'm anticipating at least another week before we get it.

You 1st & 2nd years start in 3-4 weeks, so it's not quite time to panic.

I've been at class for several weeks now (summer MPH) and I still haven't received aid....I have to pay tuition and rent soon....

tulane06 said:
I've been at class for several weeks now (summer MPH) and I still haven't received aid....I have to pay tuition and rent soon....

I don't know what they do uptown, but they don't make you pay tuition out of pocket here at the downtown campus if you're waiting on financial aid.

Also, I'm MD/MPH as well, and they don't make us pay tuition for MPH classes till 4th year. Maybe that's changed, but if so, I haven't heard anything about it.