Financial aid- Loans when changing schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearlywhites9876

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had a question about loans. I do not know much of how they work but have been reading online. I have been accepted to a dental school and have been awarded two loans but have not accepted either yet. My questions is, if I accept the loans and say in a month my first choice school calls me and accepts me ( I am on the waiting list and would choose them if called) how will that work? Am I stuck paying the first loans to the first school and have to take out more loans for the second school? Or do those loans just transfer to the other school. I am asking mostly to know if I should hold out on accepting those loans. If given the chance for my first choice school, I would take it. But I am in the process of accepting loans and apartments , so would like to know how all that works if anyone has any idea or advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Federal loan money can be returned.

However, if the loan money has already gone towards tuition for your school, you'll have to check with them about their tuition refund policy