Financial Aid problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC714

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a friend and she's now encoutering a financial aid problem. Say, she attended Junior College for 2 years and then transfered to a 4yr school with a major in computer science and stayed there for 1 year. But now, realizing that she's more interested in pharmacy school, she decided to go back to junior college to complete the pre-requisites and tries to apply for pharmacy school this year, during the time she completes the pre-pharm, there is no financial aid for her at all since the JC college says she has excceeded 70 units at JC. So my question is : If she gets accepted by Pharmacy school. Will the remaining pell grants amount be distributed to help her for 1st and/or 2nd year ????Or she'll end up loosing the remaining amount of money..'cuz i know pell grants are funded until someone has a BS/BA...
Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to tell you but Pell Grants are not applicable to pharmacy students because that is for undergraduates. Pharmacy is now, thankfully, considered graduate work which is also why we receive PharmD's instead of BS's. I've been there because I wasn't a hot student when I first started in college and ended up with 90 credits before I left my junior college. I was forced to grit my teeth and bear it out. Sorry im not of any good news to you! Goodluck

What schools does your friend want to apply to? I think it's best to contact the schools directly, because they all have different financial aid policies.

Not completely true, South2006. At the University of Texas-Austin, for example, you are still considered an undergraduate student for P1 and P2 years, then graduate/professional for P3 and P4. This is one of the schools I will be applying to, and I already have a BS, so I'm not sure how that's supposed to work. I guess I'd be a transfer post-bacc?

Who knows, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of problems with financial aid, and I definitely wouldn't get pell grants. Probably loans, and the maximum amount you can borrow is not even close what you could borrow if you were considered a professional student.

Whoops! I forgot some schools were different. TC714, best bet is to check with the school as you just saw where I go we are considered Graduate level thru out but at UT-Austin its different. Sorry!