This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbonn10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone could help me figure out how much financial aid I would be most likely to receive. I am
In state
Gpa 3.5
Science gpa 3.2
Parents make around 70 and 35 respectively
I would be commuting (if that alters anything)

Any help would be great thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A very few schools give out some scholarships. A few more schools will reduce out of state tuition to in state levels. You would have to research to see what a particular school offers (the easy answer is that there is not much $$ around for PT school...it's not like the undergrad scholarship market). You will be offered enough financial aid to cover your entire tuition and living expenses(i.e. these are all private loans that you will have to pay back entirely). It doesn't matter what you or your parents make....they are private loans and the interest rates are fairy high (in my opinion).

My opinion is to think carefully about the cost of PT school and your repayment burden. Also, try to take out as little as possible if you can save costs somewhere (live with parents or other ideas).

Reactions: 1 user
A very few schools give out some scholarships. A few more schools will reduce out of state tuition to in state levels. You would have to research to see what a particular school offers (the easy answer is that there is not much $$ around for PT school...it's not like the undergrad scholarship market). You will be offered enough financial aid to cover your entire tuition and living expenses(i.e. these are all private loans that you will have to pay back entirely). It doesn't matter what you or your parents make....they are private loans and the interest rates are fairy high (in my opinion).

My opinion is to think carefully about the cost of PT school and your repayment burden. Also, try to take out as little as possible if you can save costs somewhere (live with parents or other ideas).

Can you tell me more about schools reducing tuition to in-state levels? I was accepted to my top choice "reach" program that I didn't think I'd get into, but out of state tuition of $110k (in-state is about $50k) really put a damper on my excitement. I was also accepted into an in-state school for $26k, that is known for massive funding, assistantships, scholarships, etc. I'm wondering if there is a way to sort of bargain for in-state tuition with this? I realize OT is not like other programs where this is more common. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this???

The more expensive program is also an OTD. But I am leaning towards a cheaper masters and then to attend a post-professional doctorate, if I still desire the OTD in the future. Plus this route is a lot cheaper. Cost is a big factor for me, unfortunately.